The London Festival of Railway Modelling ? 19-20 March 2016

Andy Y

Reading the various comments on the exhibition, apart from those about the Stafford Club's layout, it seems folk are more keen to share their travel and shopping experiences than give any idea of what the show was like. As someone who exhibited my own layout over the weekend, I will admit to checking out the postings to see if I had any comments - good or bad. As it happens, neither - so will stay cheerfully anonymous! However, it would have been nice to hear more about the layouts.

Equally, I do wonder if many of those posting comments have much experience of exhibiting themselves. I've done over 70 shows & AP is certainly pretty gruelling. Very enjoyable too [& we were well looked after], but the 9.30 start makes for a very long day & even longer weekend. I set up on Friday, went home & was back by 8.30 each morning. Like most exhibitors, much time was spent servicing and cleaning everything beforehand, but I doubt if many modellers do intensive eight hour operating sessions at home very often. Under such conditions, things do go wrong. My layout lives in centrally heated luxury & my trains do not like the cold! It was pretty chilly first thing Saturday, so running was not up to expected standards until after 10.30 or so. Hence, spare a thought for folk who may have drive over 100 miles to get there and spent many hours preparing and setting up. We know you pay good money to visit and do our best to put on a good show, but things aren't always perfect.

The only downside for me was packing up. My 'ticket' to bring the car back in said 'after 5.15'. Had i known this would actually by 6pm [90 minutes after the show closed], I would have gone and got a cuppa; the layout only takes 15 minutes to dismantle. Sitting in a queue in the car, while others were being waved past, was very frustrating. Maybe a clear note in the show instructions about things being likely to run late would help in future. No blame on the organisers, it was simply a case of some stands taking much longer than others to clear up & if they were in the way, the rest of us just had to wait.

I felt there was a nice and varied selection of layouts. I was particularly impressed by one of the European ones (set in the Swiss Alps I believe?) and there were a few others that impressed (though I couldn't name them really), but I tended to take more photos of layouts that caught my eye than others (although there were occasions where I couldn't get near enough for that to be worthwhile, being a limitation of being lower down and in a scooter). On the point of height, I did notice a few layouts that were set so high, sat on my scooter I could barely see them, which was a shame. I spent more of the show talking with traders admittedly than looking at the layouts, it is really a 2 day show, needing both days to accomplish seeing everything properly, but thats uneconomical.

Reading the various comments on the exhibition, apart from those about the Stafford Club's layout, it seems folk are more keen to share their travel and shopping experiences than give any idea of what the show was like. As someone who exhibited my own layout over the weekend, I will admit to checking out the postings to see if I had any comments - good or bad. As it happens, neither - so will stay cheerfully anonymous! However, it would have been nice to hear more about the layouts.

Equally, I do wonder if many of those posting comments have much experience of exhibiting themselves. I've done over 70 shows & AP is certainly pretty gruelling. Very enjoyable too [& we were well looked after], but the 9.30 start makes for a very long day & even longer weekend. I set up on Friday, went home & was back by 8.30 each morning. Like most exhibitors, much time was spent servicing and cleaning everything beforehand, but I doubt if many modellers do intensive eight hour operating sessions at home very often. Under such conditions, things do go wrong. My layout lives in centrally heated luxury & my trains do not like the cold! It was pretty chilly first thing Saturday, so running was not up to expected standards until after 10.30 or so. Hence, spare a thought for folk who may have drive over 100 miles to get there and spent many hours preparing and setting up. We know you pay good money to visit and do our best to put on a good show, but things aren't always perfect.

The only downside for me was packing up. My 'ticket' to bring the car back in said 'after 5.15'. Had i known this would actually by 6pm [90 minutes after the show closed], I would have gone and got a cuppa; the layout only takes 15 minutes to dismantle. Sitting in a queue in the car, while others were being waved past, was very frustrating. Maybe a clear note in the show instructions about things being likely to run late would help in future. No blame on the organisers, it was simply a case of some stands taking much longer than others to clear up & if they were in the way, the rest of us just had to wait.

Agree about the intensity of a show like this.

I loaded lunchtime Friday (on my own) and set off. Set up early evening.

Back at 8.00 a.m.to re-check everything.

Back at 8.15 Sunday morning.

Fortunately I got away fairly swiftly on Sunday and was home at a reasonable time (although then ha to unload and store away everything).

I was also very grateful that a friend helped out operating on Saturday as well as  on Sunday, when we were also joined by another enthusiastic volunteer.

It can be hard going. But I enjoy doing it.

The temperature and humidity in a large, older venue like this can cause issues and things do go wrong.

But I think most layout operators try their best.

Food was excellent, accommodation good, tea & coffee all day and all the Ally Pally staff I ha dealings with were polite and helpful.

Bachmann had flown in a guy to demonstrate Scenery creation, the people from BRM were very pleasant, helpful and informative. There were a couple of very interesting smaller traders.

Well done Nick and the team...........not easy organising something like this.

My son and I liked the Swiss Alps layout too. Other kids seemed to love it as well. I think it was the way it linked to the summer and winter scenes. An unusual concept and nicely executed.

I agree there was a good range of layouts. Inevitably with a 4 year old, you don't see everything as your route is a bit dictated by them. I asked him his favourite. His first answer was "the control layout" which translated meant the HO marklin toy one he can ask Santa for... Great product btw as can put it on oo tracks.... Think Phil Parker reviewed it in the Dec BRM. After getting that over with, my son liked Hungerford, the neighbouring G scale, Whiteacres, Marske and Dubmill Sidings.

I did find it a bit annoying when I was asking traders questions about products that they assumed my son could run it on his grand dad's layout. A) I sincerely hope I don't look old enough to be his grandfather b) I resent the insinuation that I wouldn't have a layout...

David

My son and I liked the Swiss Alps layout too. Other kids seemed to love it as well. I think it was the way it linked to the summer and winter scenes. An unusual concept and nicely executed.

I agree there was a good range of layouts. Inevitably with a 4 year old, you don't see everything as your route is a bit dictated by them. I asked him his favourite. His first answer was "the control layout" which translated meant the HO marklin toy one he can ask Santa for... Great product btw as can put it on oo tracks.... Think Phil Parker reviewed it in the Dec BRM. After getting that over with, my son liked Hungerford, the neighbouring G scale, Whiteacres, Marske and Dubmill Sidings.

I did find it a bit annoying when I was asking traders questions about products that they assumed my son could run it on his grand dad's layout. A) I sincerely hope I don't look old enough to be his grandfather B) I resent the insinuation that I wouldn't have a layout...

David

I found it had a rather well executed feel to it, in terms of it feeling like it was cold. Natalie commented similar when she saw my photos later on.

I did find it a bit annoying when I was asking traders questions about products that they assumed my son could run it on his grand dad's layout. A) I sincerely hope I don't look old enough to be his grandfather B) I resent the insinuation that I wouldn't have a layout...

Having started a family rather late in life I've had that a couple of times. Once, when my youngest was having a strop, one gent said to me "at least at the end of the day we can give them back to their parents."

I took my boys on Sunday. My youngest (7) didn't want to go, but once there he was fascinated. I wish I could name more than a couple of layouts, but they loved the Swiss one with the snowy terrain, and one that had real running water. I was pleased that it has set my oldest on a terrain-building quest, rather than just running trains. They were thrilled to be able to give the live steam Mallard a couple of laps each, though I think they were more impressed by the Train Simulator computer setup. 

Having started a family rather late in life I've had that a couple of times. Once, when my youngest was having a strop, one gent said to me "at least at the end of the day we can give them back to their parents."

I took my boys on Sunday. My youngest (7) didn't want to go, but once there he was fascinated. I wish I could name more than a couple of layouts, but they loved the Swiss one with the snowy terrain, and one that had real running water. I was pleased that it has set my oldest on a terrain-building quest, rather than just running trains. They were thrilled to be able to give the live steam Mallard a couple of laps each, though I think they were more impressed by the Train Simulator computer setup.

Wonder if I saw you then? There were a couple of older boys being shown how to drive Mallard when we were by the live steam layout which was quite crowded. We liked train simulator as well particularly as they gave a fob you could put around your neck... Easily pleased at times are small boys! I thought it looked amazing but my computer is too old for it. I explained to my son that mummy would not see downloading train simulator as reason enough to buy a computer. Kids being kids, he duly relayed it to mum when we got home!

David

• RMweb Premium

sorry, but that has got nothing to do with it. I paid a premier price to enter a 'premier' show so raising a point that a big star layout was failing to perform to the obvious disappointment of many observers is valid regardless of whether I have an exhibition layout or not. I have not disparaged the actual modelling but a model railway needs trains and a 30ft static diorama isnt really what the MRC are going for I suspect. 

Anyhow, Stafford have posted an explanation and will no doubt hunt down and cure their ailments and we will get to enjoy it in its full glory at future shows.

Further to my previous explanation of the the operating issues on Whiteacres over the weekend at AP

On the Sunday when system tripped the power supply we identified the problem area and replaced the faulty manufactured item.

All then worked fine so our down time was about 10 minutes on the Sunday.

The said power supply has since be stripped and the fault located, which was in fact that the manufacture had failed to screw down the heat sink correctly in manufacture.

So a certain German DCC manufacture equipment was the cause of the problem.

Hope that clears the matter up.

The layouts next planned outings are as follows Halifax Sept 2016 - Stafford February 2017 - Perth 2017 - Warley 2017

Terry

The cars being waved passed could have been for the West Hall which is always dealt with separately   

Thanks for coming. As discussed several times before it's inevitable that things go wrong with portable layouts however much work goes in in advance; the skill as demonstrated again this weekend was in fixing them under pressure at the exhibition. I suspect a number of other layouts had problems that they quietly fixed or worked around. We know tall the layouts can and normally do work to a high standard, or they wouldn't be invited.

Knocking down is unpredictable at many shows, Ally Pally is no exception. Some years people have managed to get vehicles in earlier than estimated, other years later. This year there was a problem in the Great Hall at the start of break down, including a number of visitors taking a long time to leave (vehicles aren't allowed in until the public are clear) and then a couple of people at the front of the queue who had difficulty in manoeuvring their vehicles, blocking the route in for others. Very difficult to predict where those problems will be, but everyone involved tries to get it right - and yes I suspect the vans 'overtaking' were heading for the west hall or round to under the rose window.

We may not reply to them all, but rest assured The MRC and Warners note the comments (good and bad) on RMweb and elsewhere and try to improve for next time.

Tom

MRC Exhibition Coordinator

Wonder if I saw you then? There were a couple of older boys being shown how to drive Mallard when we were by the live steam layout which was quite crowded. We liked train simulator as well particularly as they gave a fob you could put around your neck... Easily pleased at times are small boys! I thought it looked amazing but my computer is too old for it. I explained to my son that mummy would not see downloading train simulator as reason enough to buy a computer. Kids being kids, he duly relayed it to mum when we got home!

David

That may have been us. The boys are 7 and 9 with mops of curly tarnished copper hair. I was the greying, bearded, fat bloke next to them taking pic with my phone hoping the Met wouldn`t start some sort of investigation of me.

We got one of the fobs with the game code, and I've downloaded it to my work laptop (I work from home) as it's the only thing have still working that's PC based. I've let them watch the intro, and maybe we'll drive some trains over the Easter holiday. In a London flat it`s easier than the dining room table temporary layouts.

Just as a matter of interest describe the PERFECT exhibition venue and where it is.

That's probably as indefinable as the PERFECT layout and just as unlikely to ever be found. It's also quite hard to separate venues from the quality of the exhibitions that use them.

Ally Pally certainly isn't perfect but is easily my favourite venue and I always enjoy going there. A grand hall with plenty of natural light (though that doesn't apply to the side hall) in a historic building with enough space so that even the rucksack swingers can't spoil it. Looking over London from the terrace is pretty inspiring too . There's also plenty of free parking and it's fairly easy to get to.... well it is if you happen to live in W. London and they're not rebuilding bridges on the North Circular as they are now.

The one downside used to be the nutrimatic coffee from the caterers that exhibitors were given tickets for but now the MRC have an exhibitors' room with an urn and that's a great improvement.

The MRC team and Warners do deserve congratulations for putting on such a good show every year and for generally making exhibitors feel welcome. The only thing I would say is that sales stands, especially those for non model railway products, should be forbidden from playing loud music or from using ampified PA systems for endlessly pitching whatever wonder product they're trying to flog..   

I also had a good day out at the exhibition in Ally Pally as I went down on the Sunday, me and my Dad going by car down the M1 from Chesterfield, then parking near Potters Bar station before taking a suburban EMU to Alexandra Palace, then walking up the hill, (which was much steeper than I thought it would be!) as we took our time climbing it whilst looking out over the fantastic views of the London skyline. 

It's my first ever visit to Ally Pally and I thought the venue was incredible. Loved the big entrance hall with the palm trees and glass roof and the main exhibition hall was also stunning like you don't see that many stained glass round windows and organ pipes whilst visiting Model Railway Exhibitions!

The exhibition itself was good too with a great line up of quality inspiring layouts, especially enjoyed the 'Newcastle By The Water' N Gauge layout with trains passing every few seconds and a big crowd stood in front of it, which you could always find that as a sign that it is a good layout to see, with crowds also seen at 'Whiteacres' & 'Hungerford'.  

I also came away with the purchase of a N Gauge GWR Pannier Tank from the Dapol stand for a reasonable £55 just before we departed back to the north, and came home tired after a long day!

Sam

Archived