The London Festival of Railway Modelling ? 19-20 March 2016

Andy Y

Be aware if travelling by National Rail from London, incredibly there are no direct services from King's Cross to Alexandra Palace anymore (they now all go to/from Moorgate) so a change of train at Finsbury Park will be required.

Daft timetabling idea by someone there....

Not so daft.

Allows direct interchange from two London Overground Lines at Highbury and Islington.

And of course (as already mentioned) cross platform interchange from the Victoria Line.

A lot more reason to run evening/weekend services to Moorgate these days with 'Silicon Roundabout' (short walk to 'downtown Shoreditch') and the like.

EDIT Furthermore Drayton Park is very handy for a certain football ground, taking some of the pressure off Holloway Road.

I'm trying to decide whether to go on Saturday or Sunday. Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm guessing that Sunday is quieter, but getting there by public transport from our campsite at Abbey Wood may be more difficult.

SHMBO will be hitting the shops while I'm in the show, so if the shops close earlier on Sunday, I might get less time at the show, but she will have less time to empty the bank account.

Saturday only! Crossrail works on Sunday. Trains are xx10 and xx40.

Two options.

1. Train to Victoria, Vic to Finsbury Park, W3 up the hill.

2. Train to Victoria, Vic to Highbury & Islington, Great Northern to Alexandra Park, walk up the hill.

Bill

Not so daft.

EDIT Furthermore Drayton Park is very handy for a certain football ground, taking some of the pressure off Holloway Road.

Except that Drayton Park station is closed when there are matches on at the Emirates stadium. Something to do with that seriously narrow platform and overcrowding I would imagine.

Andy

Never noticed any wifi there.

The signal is usually ok on ee ime. Of course outside you are fairly high up so should get good reception.

The signal is more often a issue for traders as the handheld pos units are usually on 3g and temperamental about signal.

Does anyone know if free wi-fi is available (ideally) in the main hall please?  It would be useful for checking prices prior to that impulse buy.....

Thanks

Brian

Surely an impulse buy is just that on impulse ====== not one that has to be researched beforehand

• RMweb Premium

Surely an impulse buy is just that on impulse ====== not one that has to be researched beforehand

True, but if an impulse buy turns out to be significantly cheaper on-line then a bit of on-the-spot research immediately prior to handing over the dosh helps avoid a serious case of getting the right 'ump....

Cheers,

Brian

Never noticed any wifi there.

The signal is usually ok on ee ime. Of course outside you are fairly high up so should get good reception.

The signal is more often a issue for traders as the handheld pos units are usually on 3g and temperamental about signal.

I'll double check when we get up there today, but there isn't any free wifi at the venue. 3G and 4G signal has in previous years been very dependant on where you are in the hall, and to an extent device, network and use by others. As you say, that leads to the slightly amusing behaviour of some traders reaching out into the air to get a signal on their card terminals.

If you are concerned about impulse purchases with cash, take some with you as the ATMs are the type that charge for withdrawals. We take cards and cash on the MRC second had stall, where hopefully you might find something you can't resist.....

• Administrators

BRM April is about to have the FREE DVD glued on, ready to go on-sale at this weekend's show. We only have Limited Stock, so make sure you visit the BRM stand to buy your copy. Remember, we have two amazing subscription offers available!

If you can't make the show, but are still interested in subscribing, please send me a PM and I'll let you know of some alternative offers which I am sure will be of interest.

post-14186-0-23161000-1458215579.jpg

I'm planning to leave sunny Witney just after lunch tomorrow with 'Earl's Court'

Any forum users.............please feel free to say hello. It's always nice to see the face behind the name.

I'm always happy for forum members to have a look 'operating side' if they wish.

Tony from Maidenhead is helping me over the weekend. We look forward to seeing you!

Terry

post-18114-0-18987500-1458243149_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi chaps,

Silly question, but how do you order the e-tickets specifically? There is mention of e-tickets on the web page but going through the buying process, it doesn't specify if what I'm buying is an e-ticket, does it confirm that after payment? Are they all e-tickets at this late stage?

I've gone as far as the Paypal screen but daren't go further in case it processes the booking and then tries to send me tickets in the post, arriving some time next week!

Many thanks,

James

Hi chaps,

Silly question, but how do you order the e-tickets specifically? There is mention of e-tickets on the web page but going through the buying process, it doesn't specify if what I'm buying is an e-ticket, does it confirm that after payment? Are they all e-tickets at this late stage?

I've gone as far as the Paypal screen but daren't go further in case it processes the booking and then tries to send me tickets in the post, arriving some time next week!

Many thanks,

James

I think you have to print them off yourself.

My wife just did ours today.................and what a right balls-ache that was.........................ended up having to do it by phone...........took two phone calls and was probably on phone for half a hour in total. Had a similar problem last time.

Perhaps Warners should consider doing this themselves next time!

• RMweb Gold

If my memory serves me right, before you actually confirm your Pay Pal payment you are given the choice of 1 of 2 option boxes to tick - to either have your ticket email you, comes in the form of an attachment to the email, at no extra cost, that you open and then print off. Or posted to you at an extra cost of £2.50. I believe that you have to also confirm your email address as well.  Hope this helps

Train travel from the south coast is a complete write off for this weekend, with many routes closed for maintenance and renewals.

Unless one is prepared for bus replacements and re-routes, with a late arrival at Ally Pally, the only routing from the Solent area is via Reading, Paddington and Moorgate, in order to arrive earlier than midday.

Even that option is out for Sunday, as the Basingstoke - Reading line is closed until early/mid morning; meaning a lunchtime arrival.

I think the Circle line is closed all weekend too and so are stretches of other tube lines.

All in all, looking like a complete nightmare, so I'm sadly going to give it a miss.

Arrived today a few days earlier than planned so that I could get a chance to see it. I'll be the dazed and jet-lagged looking character with the funny accent wondering aimlessly around the show tomorrow.... :O  

Before the rumours start - I will be in and out of the NRM/Locomotion booth but Simon and Sandra seem to have it well covered, and there won't be room enough for three of us!

Looking forward to it!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Train travel from the south coast is a complete write off for this weekend, with many routes closed for maintenance and renewals.

Unless one is prepared for bus replacements and re-routes, with a late arrival at Ally Pally, the only routing from the Solent area is via Reading, Paddington and Moorgate, in order to arrive earlier than midday.

Even that option is out for Sunday, as the Basingstoke - Reading line is closed until early/mid morning; meaning a lunchtime arrival.

I think the Circle line is closed all weekend too and so are stretches of other tube lines.

All in all, looking like a complete nightmare, so I'm sadly going to give it a miss.

Oh no it isn't.  While the National Rail site quotes time via Moorgate they are not much use as the Circle Line/H&C service is closed east of Kings Cross (and yes, the Circle Line isn't running any trains anyway).  So if travelling via Paddington it is take the long, long trail a winding to the H&C platforms (the ones that used to be just across the footbridge) then H&C to KX, then KX to Finsbury Park, change, thence to Ally Pally and get aboard the W3 or the free shuttle 'bus (which is usually heaving so the W3 is a better bet).  With luck leaving here on the 08.24 train I should get to Ally Pally in time for the 11.30 meet - a journey of about 45 miles.

I think the District is still running to Edgware Road so you can avoid the H&C Paddington obstacle course by going to the Circle platforms and changing at Edgware Road.

Archived