The London Festival of Railway Modelling ? 19-20 March 2016

Andy Y

The London Festival of Railway Modelling – 19-20 March 2016

Booking is now open for the London Festival of Railway Modelling 2016.

Once again the London MRC have compiled a fantastic array of layouts, below is a sneaky peek of those confirmed so far…

Tickets are £11 in advance or £10 for BRM Subscribers. Booking in advance will save you money on entry, and give you 30 minutes early entry to the show. You will also receive a free showguide. Better still, there is no charge for an e-ticket.

Remember if you subscribe to British Railway Modelling magazine, entry will cost £10.00 up until the closing date at 12 noon on 18 March. You will need to enter LON followed by your BRM subscriber number (eg. LON85460) in the promo code box before you checkout, in order to receive your discount. If you don’t know where to find your BRM subscriber number, please click here.

Book today!

59th & Rust

HO

Ackthorpe

OO

Arigna Town

Ob

Benton Curlieu

OO

Bottle Kiln Lane

OO9

Bowlers Croft

OO

Eskmuir

OO

Foston Mills

O

Foston_Mills.jpg

Grathwaite Junction

OO

Hampton End

G

Happisburgh Goods

O

Happisburgh.jpg

Hartburn

EM

Hook Basin

01:25

Hungerford

EM

Hungerford_s.jpg

06 Hungerford King in Stat.jpg

Klapping

HO

Malix & Lenz

HOm

Marske

O

Newcastle on the Water

N

Newcastle.jpg

North Bridge

OO

Peak Quarry

OO

Puttnam

HO

Redford Junction

TT

Ruston Quays

OO

Stapleforth St Stephen's

N

Stokesay

N

Stokesay.jpg

Tucking Mill

2mm

Tucking_Mill_1s.jpg

Valencia Harbour

21mm gauge S4

Weslo Steels

EM

Whiteacres

OO

• RMweb Gold

Have you bought your tickets for Ally Pally yet? The London MRC have almost finalised the list of layouts attending, see the list here and book today!

Please could you remind me - is this the show at which this year's RMweb challenge(s) get revealed - or was it perhaps Doncaster I was thinking about?

I was just trying to remember, as this provides a compelling reason to do some shopping at the show.

Obviously, I might just be vey much mistaken - getting older sometimes plays horrible tricks on some people's memory ... .

Seriously though, "Ally Pally" is generally an amazing show - and an amazing venue.

As I don't know if TfL carried out their threat to close the Wells Terrace entrance of Finsbury Park station (the one which the W3 buses for "Ally Pally" stop outside), it's probably just as well that the other end of the W3 bus route takes it right outside the (only) entrance at Wood Green tube station (actually the other side of the road - but there are lights etc).

(There's also a Wetherspoons very near Wood Green tube - which some people might find useful ... .)

I understand that some shuttle buses might also be running - where are they likely to stop by Wood Green and Alexandra Palace stations - and are they likely to run to some sort of timetable - or would we be better off getting the service buses?

These might sound like stupid questions - but I've found in the past that planning ahead allows me to reduce timewasting on the day of the show - so there's more chance of me being able to do any essential shopping see the layouts and demos - attend the "RMweb Theatre" seminars - and generally do everything I set out to do on the day.

OK - so I like to plan ahead for shows - but I'm not planning on getting an advance entry ticket from an external ticketing agency. They might be fine to deal with - they might not - I really don't know - but I'm just too set in my ways, too wary to find out for myself.

Huw.

It may be worth noting that the North London Half-Marathon is being held on Sunday 20th March, which may well impact on those travelling to & from Alley Pally.

Brian

I'm not running up that hill!!! they'll have to make do with a slow walk...with a lot of huffing & puffing!!!

• RMweb Gold

It may be worth noting that the North London Half-Marathon is being held on Sunday 20th March, which may well impact on those travelling to & from Ally Pally.

I'm not running up that hill!!! they'll have to make do with a slow walk...with a lot of huffing & puffing!!!

... either that or catch the W3 bus - from Finsbury Park station (the bus station in front of the Wells Terrace entrance - assuming it's still open) - or from Wood Green tube (turn left and cross the road outside the station entrance).

I gather there might also be a shuttle bus from somewhere near Wood Green tube - but I don't know where - and I don't know what times they run.

However, even with the buses, I can still imagine some people facing a punishing physical regime getting to the show on the Saturday - those steps outside the Palm Court entrance don't climb themselves - and the corridor from there to the hall also seems quite long.

Seriously though, I've never liked that hill-climb from Alexandra Palace railway station to Ally Pally - and having to walk the whole length of the complex before you can get into the building (and walk half the length inside) isn't exactly what everybody wants after finally struggling to the top of the hill.

This probably goes some way towards explaining why - the last 3 times I've visited this venue - I've used the bus to get there.

I'd imagine that things might be even worse for people who are completely unfit, or people who smoke.

Thankfully, the venue and the show are usually worth all the extreme physical exertion involved in geting there.

Huw.

It may be worth noting that the North London Half-Marathon is being held on Sunday 20th March, which may well impact on those travelling to & from Alley Pally.

Brian

Looking at the route it is well away from Ally Pally and seems to centred on Wembley

• RMweb Gold

I hope that there will be an improvement in the transmitted sound quality for the “RMweb Theatre” seminars at Ally Pally from those given at both Doncaster and previously at the Peterborough shows. With only the 2 speakers sited at the front and resulting background noise from the adjacent exhibition stands it was almost impossible to hear the Presenters if you were sitting towards the back and I have a good level of hearing. I believe that another 2 speakers sited at the back together with some well placed acoustic sound barriers wouldn`t go amiss, so making these seminars an enjoyable experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy –Is there a problem again with purchasing Subscribers Discount Tickets? I`ve just tried to book my ticket, after putting LON followed by my Subscribers Number into the Promo Box and pressing GO, I get the error message stating “PROMO CODE IS NO LONGER VALID” however I did order 2 tickets for Doncaster, is it getting confused with that purchase? 

Hi guys,

do to another commitment later on in the day, I'm driving up on the Saturday, can someone give me the postcode and street address for the Car-park so I can punch it into the sat-nav, the website doesn't give these details

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Post code is N22 7AY There is 2 cars parks.

One is on the right as you approach from Alexandra Station end and is marshalled, as some of the area is used by the Patrons of the ice rink and the rest fills up quite quickly.

The other one is located at the bottom of the hill sign posted off Alexandra Palace Way, (with a shuttle bus service up the hill) There is only disabled parking outside the hall itself.

If you look on Google Earth you can see the 2 areas I`m talking about, the second one is the strips of bare land in between the trees to the east of Alexandra Palace Way.  Hope this helps

Me too - I've just tried to book a ticket and getting the same problem when entering the promo code LON + my subscribers number.  However even trying to add a full price ticket, I found you can only add the ticket to the basket if you also select the "Ticket protection" at £2.25

Post code is N22 7AY There is 2 cars parks.

One is on the right as you approach from Alexandra Station end and is marshalled, as some of the area is used by the Patrons of the ice rink and the rest fills up quite quickly.

The other one is located at the bottom of the hill sign posted off Alexandra Palace Way, (with a shuttle bus service up the hill) There is only disabled parking outside the hall itself.

If you look on Google Earth you can see the 2 areas I`m talking about, the second one is the strips of bare land in between the trees to the east of Alexandra Palace Way.  Hope this helps

Cheers mate, that helps :)

• RMweb Gold

Just got my ticket, the problem seems to have resolved itself, well for me that is. Not a problem with the ticket protection either, just clicked NO THANKS button and continued.

Many thanks for the various helpful comments

Enjoy the show

I have an E ticket (no extra fee and *** the protection).  First time for 3 years so looking forward to it.  Wonder if Dapol will have any interesting bargains - I regretted not buying a Grand central HST last time I went.   Won't have my disabled friend this year so park the car with the rest!!  Last time I did I was at the old BBC end of the complex.  Level but a long walk!  I enter the site from the other end

• RMweb Gold

You can park on the road leading unto the hall if you are early . Unless it has been made restricted in the sat two year since i have been. Lower carpark is a steep climb to the hall.

Didn`t seem to be any restrictions last year, but I would say that’s it’s a still a fair walk to the entrance and uphill until you reach the Hall, I can`t really see any advantage with parking there as both car parks are nearer, with a free shuttle bus from the lower car park for those of us that are on the wrong side of 60 and have abused our knees from past physical exercising.

Archived