Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

post-23587-0-67630400-1537381467_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-29598300-1537381484_thumb.jpeg. Two photos of latest work the first the class 103 ....secondly an Airfix LMS 57 foot brake purchased for a small amount...intended as a possible donor for the replica chassis. In the event not used. I have decided to buy comet sides as shown to create a period two coach as shown. What a great range these and Mainline were when introduced in the seventies...literally transforming the 4mm railway scene.
  • Like 1

Two more of Saltley, the first looking towards Castle Bromwich and water orton. The nechells gasworks and the carriage shed to the left, gasworks and wagon works to the right the second towards a Brum along the platform and under the viaduct Don was perched on twenty odd years laterpost-23587-0-63748900-1537458715.jpegpost-23587-0-69029000-1537458735.jpeg off to SVR tomorrow Autumn gala hoping to travel for the first time behind a duchess...(4)6233 ...also there will be Brittania and Royal Scot...also a Q6. My mate Don is probably going to be in a field photographing. I have threatened to stick my had out of the window...which he hates. He did reply he would photoshop me out....I replied just like my wedding photos then...

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Good afternoon Andy ...travelled behind duchess from kiddy...intending to transfer onto the brittania hauled train , the transfer happening at Hampton loade. I got as far as Bewdley and saw the Scot on the head of that train going back to kiddy. A quick check of the timetable...auto train running a shuttle, this would get me back to Bewdley to pick up the brittania train. I therefore transfer to the Scot train....back I go. On arrival 14xx in bay with autocoach....another first....only for the station announcer to proclaim it was full. The auto train set off....cue downpour...decided to wait another day to travel behind Mr Riddles masterpiece, so set off home. I did cab the Scot though....

I had some time now this afternoon so other side added to the airfix coach and the interior reconfigured reference provided by Messers Jenkinson and Essery's book LMS coaches

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Working on my new LMS coach....most of original body carved way...new interior...sides attached...vents cut out of plastic card.....primed. Two coats of Ford Burgundy red hi cote car paint...lovely. I then drop the coach...right into an accumulation of carpet fluff...on freshly wet paint. I don't think the LMS had furry coaches...anyway.  Sides removed ...stripped all detail lost.

Pleased to report after the ....despair....sides re affixed...detail added...primed...red and now lined on one side. I've run out of transfers more ordered from Model master...usually prompt service.

post-23587-0-70077600-1538154033_thumb.jpegLMS 57 ft brake first D1717 BR maroon one side lined awaiting other side to be finished, lettered numbered glazed and varnished. The class 103 Park Roysl unit in grey primer beyond. I had noticed courtesy of my reference bible that the Airfix coach roof had vertical rain strips....the d1717 did not having horizontal....file sanded off the original...new one added from plastic strip.
  • Like 4

Just back from Tyseley open day. My main reason for going to see the newly restored 45596 Bahamas. She is immaculate in BR green. Old friends like Kolaphur were there also. I never went to the first open day fifty years ago, I think my first time was 69 or 70. I do remember clun castle and kolaphur at the front and rear of a few coaches travelling out of the depot and a little way towards the Stratford jct before returning back...I think it was the furthest BR would let steam trains on its tracks in those days!

A quick question the double chimney on 45596 was it of unique design or the same as on rebuilt scots jubilees or like ones fitted to the class fives.? Just being lazy will research but if anyone knows, I have a mind to adapt a Bachmann Jube...

Edited by 46256

One more thought, on climbing the steps from the platform towards the booking hall on the bridge....shades of Water Orton although on a grander scale...both built same year, pity the same scale of renovation could not be employed at WO, anyway the smell of a railway stairs and booking office...fifty years disappeared...lovely

Edited by 46256

Just researched the chimney on Bahamas apparently a BR addition in 1961, part of tests to improve the efficiency in steam locos...only for it all to be abandoned. On examining pictures it appears the Ivatt black five double chimney is most appropriate...in fact looking at Dons picture of Royal Scot, 45596's version more upright and squarer ...

Edited by 46256

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John worked on the trailer just now....boring adding interiors....anyway glazing to be added.....does anybody make 4mm dmu destination boards ? Modelmaster listed this as an item a couple of years ago...ordered some but never delivered, now not in their catalogue...they do list 1 mm letters ....scalpel and great patience might be needed..

Just answered my own question courtesy of Google. A company called railec will be at Warley....will see them there

Edited by 46256