Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Two photos of my work on 8f.  My usual method of pick up arrangenent gapped copperclad board soldered between frames....phos bronze wire bent around a small screwdriver blade to create Spring ( as per  Guy Williams ) then touching the tyre. Just had it running.....bit sluggish even with the top end drive train.....bit of lubrication , real improvement....I know I have a degree in spotting the blinking obvious.....Really pleased not least using the Hornby wheels in the comet chassis.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

My good friend John ( RowanJ) is in the process of reducing his stock list of those locos not normally seen at his modelled North Eastern location. I have therefore become the proud owner of another Bachmann class 44 ...initially D1 but now renumbered as its classmate D2 Helvellyn....nameplates on order from Modelmaster. I don't know about modelling Water Orton I can do justice to a model based on Toton diesel depot !

• Like 1

Helvellyn numbered and named now trundling around the layout....work on 8 f stalled...due to a mishap with one of my flagship locos had to remove the portescap from this  beast of burden and put it into that loco. I have though replaced it with a high level gearbox and mashima. I'm pleased to say the grub screw again secures onto the thinner Hornby axle. I keep falling into the trap of so many projects so little time....the modellers curse. To add to my  own predicament have been exploring ways to motorise my beautiful Midland Spinner having seen one running in my local model shop.

• Friendly/supportive 1

That looks nice, Brian. If you can get a modern gearbox into a whitemetal chassis, and it all runs, then I don't see a problem with using it. Fitting brakes, etc, is a bit more difficult but not much. If the axles are bushed, there is no reason why it shouldn't go for miles-though I know there's not much chance of that on our layouts.

Best wishes

John 

Karen reckons if it travels feet on my layout without a derail it's an achievement but as I explain all the more reason to spend time in my loft. Will be fixing the final gear onto the driving axle, and more interestingly pick ups....more soon 

• 2 weeks later...

More work on the spinner. The model I'm sure is the original Ks one. It has been nicely constructed and beautifully painted and lined. The driving wheels though are pretty dire. I have therefore replaced them with markits. A major transformation in running........but the markits are 8 ft 32 mm for the GWR Lord of the isles. They foul the body work. I was tempted to remove some of the metal....but risked unsettling the outer paintwork. No sense for once prevailed I have the correct 30.5 mil Alan Gibson drivers in order. If anyone knows of a modeller who can use the markits ones I will gladly forward free of charge...

Edited by 46256

Two photos of the work on the spinner now running as beautifullyas she looks , the second photo showing the alterations necessary to achieve....ugly but functional....Gibson wheels excellent as is mashima high level combo The front of the whitemetal chassis removed to allow bogie wheels movement. The brass strip added to balance the chassis with the body. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  1. If it's not broke fix it till it is.....looking at my rudimentary chassis for the spinner....I can do better than that .....the problem is the swing on the front bogie under the outer valances hence the thin brass strip. Two frames cut from nickel silver....wheels added into axle bearings. Weight added......wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Whitemetal frame retrieved from waste bin. The front of the new frames soldered on....lots of fiddling to get it balanced right. This  finally cured using the weight of the Whitemetal tender via the drawbar keeping the rear of the loco steady. It now runs the same as it did before all these " modications...improvements" older but wiser....if only. I am working on a new project the 15 xx pannier. I know but fell for its charms at a recent visit to the SVR. A Lima 94 xx body has been suitably carved up frames and coupling rods fettled will show some photos soon
Edited by 46256

Thanks for the appreciation Corbs....first a confession I have no scale drawings as such to work from rather a diagram off the  internet attached. It shows the wheelbase to be 25 by 26 mm . I had already carved up the 94 xx and to get alignment with cylinders ...cab I have compromised with a 23 by 23 mm wheelbase. This coincidentally is the same as an 08 diesel. I was going to use Alan Gibson, frames they are listed for the 15 xx, and if used would recommend their universal coupling rods. In my case I have cut out two frames from nickel silver and used a set of brassmasters rods for the shunter. The cylinders will be comet LMS ....the key to this loco will be the smokebox saddle and outside steam pipes....will show those stages as and when attempted. I also note the unique link arrangement from the crosshead....and the motion bracket....

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

Work to date showing frames axle bushes in place. Comet cylinder stretcher being used to gauge the new saddle for smokebox. The front if the 15 xx is from an old city of Truro. The donor 94 xx " face glued on replacing the city....in addition in my opinion the city chimney is a better representation than the original 94 xx one. The city firebox covered the resulting gap when panniers shortened. The loco behind is another Lima 94 xx body much detailed on comet chassis bit sticking out at the rear brass back to back being utilised to hold it steady for photo

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

Outside steam pipes added also small running plate which extended from under the panniers to the top of cylinders....only realised it wa there from studying a photo of the real loco stationary in Bridgnorth yard

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256

For those who know the area  I model a real reminder from our past . Midland Red 168 service via bacons end, Kingshurst then through Castle Bromwich, back to Brum . The bus is at the Coleshill terminus in Parkfield Road. This was also used by my service the 161 which ran the alternative route via Gilson Water Orton and joining the 168 route at Castle Bromwich Chester Road thence via Alum Rock Saltley and Birmingham City centre. The hamlet of Gilson is no more having been submerged under the M42 and toll road....any last vestige of it due to be built on by HS2. photo courtesy of my good friend Don Taggart.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, 46256 said:

For those who know the area  I model a real reminder from our past . Midland Red 168 service via bacons end, Kingshurst then through Castle Bromwich, back to Brum . The bus is at the Coleshill terminus in Parkfield Road. This was also used by my service the 161 which ran the alternative route via Gilson Water Orton and joining the 168 route at Castle Bromwich Chester Road thence via Alum Rock Saltley and Birmingham City centre. The hamlet of Gilson is no more having been submerged under the M42 and toll road....any last vestige of it due to be built on by HS2. photo courtesy of my good friend Don Taggart.

image.jpeg

Can't beat a Midland Red D9!

• Agree 1

I have been working on the pannier high level road runner plus constructed and fitted with a mashima 14 26 left over from another project. I intend to run it off rear axle. I then spent a considerable amount of time trying to form the  handrail around the front of the smokebox and then along the side. A feature of western locos....done it many times and still takes numerous attempts to get half decent...

• Like 1

Thanks John

its always nice when a loco materialises from all the bits and bobs of your work bench. I'm working on the motion at the moment...the crossheads and links having to be fashioned from the lots of left over motion bits from previous work. The brakes to be added, together with a bit of pipework , injectors etc....I do feel when looking at it now with cylinders attached its capturing the feel of the real thing. Number plates for 1505 ordered from model master.

I keep wondering though why on earth the GWR built these, the same question in a way about the 94xx...read a full article on those in British railways Illustrated. I assume they were influenced by the USA tanks which arrived during the war?

In any event added to the variety we all love...

Edited by 46256

Motion, brakes and motion bracket added just steps buffers and a bit of extra detailing....and of course painting and lining....will be 1505 in its old oak common heyday 

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2