Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

On a positive note just finished applying the mixed traffic lining, ferret and dartboard and number 69808 to one side of the A5. It replicates a loco based at Boston shed. It really does suit this loco will photo when I complete the other side.

• Like 1

The outer cranks on the fell now altered thanks to a diagram posted by Mike on the KR thread. I used this with my trusty dremel to alter. The Fell is a temperamental beast and did not respond at all well to this rough treatment. I’m pleased to report after a lot...lot of patient coaxing...tweaking ...now running as before.

My mishaps didn’t end there, thought I would be clever and seal the one side of the A5 with transfers on, by adding humbrol clear. I was then going to spray Matt varnish over the completed locomotive when done. . Overnight the  clear had dried leaving white water residue...try as I might couldn’t remove it....had to give up and respray over the transfers...better luck next time...

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/10/2020 at 11:40, 46256 said:

Don’t know what happened to first image taken last night...striplight reflecting off the gloss providing a poor picture...tried to remove it...better one just added in daylight. Manna has mentioned the princess has the correct wheelbase but I  want to use my preferred high level gear and motor combination.  The attached photo shows the frames over the drawing....mmm looking at it more closely I think home made frames and a Gibson universal coupling rod...

I don't see why you can't use the high level gearbox with a Princess chassis.   The circa 1960 version has strip metal (steel?) chassis sides screwed together sandwiching mazak spacing blocks, you can change the spacers to suit EM or P4 if you like.
Later in the 1960s they went to a cast mazak lump, still 26mm + 26mm shared with the Britannia and probably the BoB with smoke units.   They are also dirt cheap....
etc.   

• Like 2

Good morning David  I did wonder if an old triang princess chassis could be converted as you suggest. I have got an Alan Gibson frame set on order but I might just attempt the triang route....my first ever 4mm loco xmas 1964 together with two crimson cream coaches  small circle of two rail track. Santa also provided a three rail Hornby Dublo N2 and wagons and track. Dad fixed the two ovals on a board in the spare bedroom...can still smell that “ electrical “ smell as the N2 whizzed around.  They probably did more miles than most of my current collection. The N2 had LMS on its sides....visits to the library and I thought I had identified it as a GSWR tank....never thinking a manufacturer would put a loco in a false livery....

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just purchased on eBay...the gibsons will be in reserve...just examining this photo...how to add the brake gear....?...holes drilled and epoxy probably..

0FD01234-5E16-4DD0-885B-29C3A239149B.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Still waiting on  delivery of either Gibson or triang so can’t progress the chassis of A5....working on both the std 4 tank and lining out the black turbo motive. The latter has the Hornby princess as its basis. The conversion parts are first class..the majority having been fitted by the previous modeller. They appear to be resin? I don’t know who produced them...crownline...? On a different theme,  looking at my book of West Midlands industrial steam. A lot of Photos of the extensive Hams Hall power station complex. I was lucky enough to visit when operational in 1970. It was however another photo that caught my eye. A UTMDA bagnall taken out of service in 1961 and replaced by the diesels I saw. I have just been looking at producing a 009 model of it. My goodness those 009 chassis are rare and therefore not cheap...b and W photo...one in book shows the usual green livery...wish I had seen them in action

944EECFC-308A-4FFB-9409-6FC28329F772.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 46256 said:

A lot of Photos of the extensive Hams Hall power station complex. I was lucky enough to visit when operational in 1970. It was however another photo that caught my eye.

We got one of our Saloon Tours put inside at Coleshill whilst doing an inspection there. Instead of coming back out onto the Nuneaton lines we persuaded the Movements Inspector and Driver that it would be a good idea to go through the Hams Hall Power Station sidings and on to Whitacre where we were due to do an inspection of the connection to the main line. Got a few strange looks when we got to the reception sidings, but it kept us out of the way and I doubt many people rode through there in coaching stock even if it was Departmental.

• Agree 1

I had a wonderful afternoon at Hams Hall with my friend Eddie Ravenhall  December 1970. We were both missing BR steam little realising what we were about to experience would also be keenly missed. On pushbikes we arrived at Coleshill ( Forge Mills Station,  closed since March 1968. We crossed the Nuneaton line and down a wooded lane towards Hams Hall...a set of disused sidings lay in the trees. We continued and found a loco shed, a loco inside. The highlight of our trip was finding one of the steam locos working the main sidings. The power station had a mixed diesel / steam fleet at the time. The driver of the big 060t let us on the footplate and then fire it as it travelled up and down the extensive sidings.

• Like 4

A question for Eric please.( signal engineer] the first set of sidings I encountered on that day in Dec 1970 can be seen behind the left hand platform and waiting shelter of Coleshill (Forge Mills) railway station. We arrived by bike at the right hand station building which backed onto the Norton Arms pub. We crossed the line....the scene behind the left hand waiting room had been transformed from this 1950 s photo. It was very wooded. The sidings there were almost black with lack of use....looking at the ordnance survey map it appears they formed an elongated heads hunt for lines that led from the. Station away from the photo on the left and into the Hams Hall complex. What were their purpose if known it seems that any trains could have taken their wagons directly into Hams Hall without the need to deposit them there. This would account for my observation at that time ? I do note they appear in use though in the 1950 s shot...by either HC or RM Casserley....and the house? I certainly don’t remember that being behind the shelter..just read the accompanying piece in Warwickshire railways this would appear to have been the station masters...what a great job that must have been with this level of accommodation...

E62DE550-EF2F-44E5-B431-523E95D69480.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Four more shots of Coleshill station the foliage mentioned behind the waiting shelter now evident...oh for that genuine totem...have a replica though...the other points of interest...Coleshill Luigi gas plant in the background had its own sidings and loco....sold lock stock and barrel to Czechoslovakia...the signal shown at the entrance to those transfer sidings to the CEGB

8EAE07A2-521D-4B07-9F68-F865943B473A.jpeg

41D86C0B-5AB7-47A6-A64E-10465FC04891.jpeg

075BAE3B-AE9D-4B95-B5B8-46E2E26E5EA3.jpeg

E6DF2ABD-118C-4E6B-99A8-75B704570B29.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

Looking at the two photos showing the Lurgi plant behind the station, how the use of a telephoto lens alters the relationship between the two sets of buildings.I thought initially they were before and after shots with most of the Lurgi either being unbuilt or partially dismantled. I have looked closer and the same buildings chimneys and pipes are there just made to look bigger and closer by the camera.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2020 at 19:45, 46256 said:

A question for Eric please.( signal engineer] the first set of sidings I encountered on that day in Dec 1970 can be seen behind the left hand platform and waiting shelter of Coleshill (Forge Mills) railway station. We arrived by bike at the right hand station building which backed onto the Norton Arms pub. We crossed the line....the scene behind the left hand waiting room had been transformed from this 1950 s photo. It was very wooded. The sidings there were almost black with lack of use....looking at the ordnance survey map it appears they formed an elongated heads hunt for lines that led from the. Station away from the photo on the left and into the Hams Hall complex. What were their purpose if known it seems that any trains could have taken their wagons directly into Hams Hall without the need to deposit them there. This would account for my observation at that time ? I do note they appear in use though in the 1950 s shot...by either HC or RM Casserley....and the house? I certainly don’t remember that being behind the shelter..just read the accompanying piece in Warwickshire railways this would appear to have been the station masters...what a great job that must have been with this level of accommodation...

E62DE550-EF2F-44E5-B431-523E95D69480.jpeg

I remember the sidings being used when I first ventured up there for work purposes c1966. I think they were usually occupied by empty mineral wagons waiting for instructions to go back to the collieries. There were about six sidings on that side, probably having a capacity of 200+ wagons. You can still work out the alignment from Google Earth by the perimeter fence of the new depot. I think the sidings were put in during the building of Hams Hall B station which took place in 1937-42. The signal box was replaced just before WW2 which would tie in with that.

The house was on the Whitacre side of the level crossing IIRC. It was possibly built when the sidings were put in and lasted a lot longer than the original station although I don't know what it was used for.

The level crossing used to lead to some farms and Hams Hall, the house not the power station, when the railway was first built.

• Like 1

Thank you as ever Eric for your response to my question. The area around the station had a certain other worldliness ...Victorian almost..to it ..strange as it was so close to industry all around it. The area is now the Coleshill Parkway station and the Hams Hall site a freight distribution centre. Thank you John T for the photo. I have had a dilemma which I’ve shared with John R. I have a Bachmann RTR version 80002..I have now renumbered this to 80104 and will be the one presented to my colleague. The reason,whilst superior in detail to mine photo Ed above...now renumbered 80100, my model has now become personal, in a way a RTR can’t. In addition Guy, my colleague hasn’t my skill...yet...and any future problems could be sorted out by a Bachmann service engineer ....80100 might need different requirements. John R has commented on my being generous...not really I was given loads of assistance by older modellers when I was starting out...my way of repaying that kindness. The numbers Guy likes his models to be, are of locos that still exist...I take the opposite view wanting in the main locos that can only now exist as models..both 80104 and 80100 were initially on the LTSR section at 33A...according to my 1963 locoshed 80100 was transferred by then to 6D Shrewsbury...a little closer to my model.

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 46256 said:

The reason,whilst superior in detail to mine photo Ed above...now renumbered 80100, my model has now become personal, in a way a RTR can’t.

I can empathise with that. My stock has gradually morphed from RTR carriages and wagons to something a bit more varied.

My LMS Period 1 stock now has two cut'n'shut coaches not done RTR, an all-third and BCK. Instead of all Hornby Period 3 and Baccy Porthole stock I now have a rake of Period 1, 2 and 3 LMS Vestibule stock. Latest up is a start on a rake of LNER Open stock.

Goods wise, although I have some TMC Plate and Bolster wagons I have now added LMS wood bodied versions from Matt Chivers, About 1/3 of my wagons are kit built and many others have been altered such as typre which had quite a good body but generic chassis have been rebuilt using kit parts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I think they were usually occupied by empty mineral wagons waiting for instructions to go back to the collieries.

Sidings all over the system were used for this especially in the days of PO wagons. A question came up on another thread recently about Loco Department hoppers used for coal to the GWR gas works at Swindon. They were branded for return to Markham Main via Bordesley Junction IIRC and photos on Warwickshire railways show several parked in the sidings near the BIF at Castle Bromwich station.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

Oh dear nostalgia for my old three rail N2..

A Dapol one just bought on eBay ...what a poorly designed chassis. Big open motor over extended into cab driving onto badly meshing gear column.on rear wheel...poor meshing not helped by flexing of plastic chassis....defied all my efforts to run sweetly....comet chassis ordered might salvage the wheels and reuse

Edited by 46256

Just sent a PM to John R...gears / motors ordered from Chris for an ex mainline dean goods...comet chassis awaits, likewise the Dapol N2 body....what diverse locos I’m working on...A5 wheeled....just like making locos...

• Like 1

A5 with Gibson Chassis now wheeled and being tested. I followed JohnR’s advice and the rear wheel is a reduced swing pony truck...just brakes., false front frames and glazing to add to finish.

A360BE14-1E0A-46CE-985E-DCC97930A27F.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

The A5 now running as I would wish, and almost  completed,  will now focus on the turbo motive. I bought this some months ago, and included, the now previous version of the Hornby chassis. This chassis is a proven article providing the power on the other (quite a few)members of the class I possess. I will remove the split rear running frames and replace with metal full versions, as I have done with my existing ones. 

I have just researched the origin of this resin turbo motive and believe it’s by Dean Sidings, who I used to see often at Warley. This range now apparently to be incorporated in the Phoenix paints stable. The model appears to be well executed, including smoke deflectors, which will be appropriate for my circa 1950 lined BR black version.

Lastly, Guy is thrilled with his renumbered Bachmann Std 4, really good to see a young modeller with my obsession!

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2