Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

One of my pet gripes is couplings...soon learnt , as well as being unsightly not all tension lock ones are compatible. I’m not a great one for shunting,,,but I do like my trains to stay coupled. I have standardised on the small tension lock coupler for all y stock....still to get the dreaded clunk as the front of an engine collides with the rear of an unintentional uncoupling.

I have therefore purchased some Westhill wagon works magnetic couplers. The hawks worth behind 80100 being so fitted. At the moment you have to ensure opposing polarity but apparently new design has banished this.... I have a set of the NEM socket compatible under trial...have just ordered the brand new ones mentioned. I will report in due course

Some notes to accompany the above photos.

The kit is in resin and required me to attach chimney smoke deflectors and handrails. In addition I added my usual improvement to the Hornby chassis. The rear frames over the rear truck. The truck itself reduced greatly with my dremel to allow it to move between the frames. The loco painted and lined as per a photo in my book of the Princess Royals as she was circa 1950. I commented to John R that I was tempted to repaint in maroon..the reason I didn’t, on reading the deflectors were added in 1939....they do not enhance its looks !

The smaller tender as fitted to this loco..  the debris by the way on top of Water Orton East signal box...part of a telegraph post damaged by clumsy me when replacing track ...put there deliberately so I wouldn’t lose it prior to repair...keep forgetting to to it..

• Like 2

as promised photos of application to the tender of 46202 and Bachmann porthole coach...just had a ten coach train being pulled for test purposes...testing the coupling as much as the loco...the coupling I’m pleased to say passed with flying colours in fact it was a small tension lock which became uncoupled!

one note if you introduce a “ jerk” into the haulage ( I know other than the one on the controller) and by doing so replicate the way you uncouple the magnet then it does become uncoupled. Clean Wheels and track as ever the answer.

0217614C-7747-4C14-8F0E-AFDB7D02B755.jpeg

0244B994-45D9-489B-87DC-D24849E00A40.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

In correspondence with John R drawing on his knowledge of North Eastern locomotives etc. I read that a B16/3 ventured into Saltley shed in the early fifties. I have therefore had it on my to do list. This interest further enhanced when kit built examples were on offer on eBay...but for a lot of money. John has built this loco using the PDK kit ( along with any number of other locos that were seen in or around his chosen modelled location. Near Newcastle.  As ever his advice and help is proving invaluable and plans are afoot to commence the model....albeit using some alternative source material... manna I think you in particular will like this approach.

The princess chassis wasn’t running as it should and investigation shows it to be the Hornby method of pick ups. I have had this problem with a number of a Hornby locos once the pick ups start playing up ...quite flimsy and relying on good conduction between two small points embedded in the chassis...my solution has been , as in this case wire direct from motor to gapped circuit board fixed to bottom of chassis and then with my guy Williams style sprung pick ups...vast improvement 

• Like 1

The b16 project well under way courtesy of John. He has sent me his copy of the appropriate Yeadons. It is a lovely book and will be well looked after until I return it in the new year along with some items to show my appreciation. I have identified the following to provide the relevant source material. An old Hornby b 12 body was going to be the base model....for example it’s cab, albeit alterations with plasticard. A gift from John of a GBL j 39 , delivered with the book has changed that plan. Too late for the b12 cab which has had the razor saw cuts. The j39 will now be the base model. The chassis is another story. I will detail the work involved in due course if only to amuse if it fails to produce a credible model. 

As a seasonal bit of fun another project is under way...producing a reasonable model of the UTMDA bagnall in 009. This was the photo that started it. It was taken in 1964...the loco had been retired three years earlier.  A purchase of eBay of a Joueff decuaville loco for a reasonable price ( believe me 009 stuff can be very pricey as I found out on my research. I will again document...

11C37080-3CB4-4E0F-9C89-7C39821203CF.jpeg

6CC032BE-CA87-4A7F-A72E-5CA08773B851.jpeg

9F4A6666-35F6-4B7F-B263-84DD6B144F86.jpeg

• Like 2

UTMDA Bagnall taking shape...the carnage behind was an attempt to remedy an insert into a J39 towards making the B16. I had intended to use an old Hornby B12 loco as the basis of the conversion. John recommended the J39....and supplied the GBL one he had. I then inserted part of the B12 boiler only to discover I had missed 10 mm.....measure twice cut once as ever should be the watchword.  The b 12 now defunct tried to make do with a bit of left over 8 f....doesn’t work no matter how much I sand. I have another j39 en route, fortunately GBL versions can be obtained quite cheaply. I have mentioned before trying to obtain plastic pipe bigger than 10 mm to make boilers...hence the requirement for the new body. The smokebox on the bagnall is 12 mm....sourced from a marker pen top. There is then the problem of suitable adhesives with the different plastic types.More soon

E4AB7B78-357B-4D80-90A0-E57B5BCE8CF2.jpeg

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Oh dear, that didn't go to plan, but don't despair, I use al sorts of pipe for boilers, it's knowing where to look, Bicycle pumps are a good source, they come anywhere from 19 to 22mm in size, another source is 'Conduit' available from electrical suppliers or building sites, size range 20-32mm, plumbers merchants can also supply pipe a lot in the 20/25mm range, make a few phone calls, see what's available, you may be surprised, and Demo sites can come in useful. Many of my loco's started life as a spare bit o' pipe.

Don't forget to used the bit's off of your B16 for the next one, chimney/dome/cab etc.

manna

• Thanks 1

My representation of the little Bagnall...loaded onto a well wagon in Water Orton goods yard....it’s driver clearly can’t bear to part with her.....really pleased how this has turned out have just purchased three peco tipper wagons to go with it. They will be modelled “empty” there’s enough of that stuff already on the layout!

60970C7C-F7C9-4D22-B3AA-485417979571.jpeg

• Like 3

Eric (signal engineer has just sent me two hand drawn diagrams, once the signal box interlocking mechanism the other this diagram of the exit from the sidings....may have shown before...no matter trust me in the flesh they are impressive documents, a credit to the draughts-person who created them

On a modelling note just added the finishing touch to the bagnall...front and rear lamps ....really lifts the model .

The B16 is also coming along...boiler now right length...appropriate chimney added and dome moved to correct position. All the J39 boiler bands removed. I am using part of a Hornby B 12 running plate to get that distinctive curve just by the smokebox....starting to take shape

a quick explanatory note had attached these thinking they were the documents given me by Eric, and shared on a pm in earlier correspondence.They are in fact from the John Swift collection which I had included in previous correspondence with Eric.

The actual track diagram sent, is of the exit lines from the sidings hand drawn by Eric. It is  an exceptional piece of work and I am honoured he has given it to my safekeeping, BH.

C7577844-C61A-4CB2-9402-F3EC2D8FAFC6.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

B16/3 taking shape two j39 bodies Hornby b12 running plate for the definitive curves..j39 front part and buffer beam reduced...cab sitting on j39 base for now...all boiler bands handrails etc scraped off and filler setting awaiting final sanding. Chimney from spares box ...markits snifter valve to complete. 

The bagnall with lamps sitting behind the sidings box...track not fixed just for a cameo at present

FA7EC49F-6062-4EFA-A19B-54CAF944BD6C.jpeg

D8FD9E20-5EF8-45CB-B812-24C67B72177C.jpeg

• Like 4

After posting the previous picture did a quick check with photo in Johns book....the dome has just had a bit of attention and more sanding in general the result so far

D3C7AE71-D9B6-4680-A5C6-28CDBFE7515E.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

I have a Hornby b12 chassis which I purchased separately to the body used here. It was at the height of  buying the GBL magazine and numerous conversions based on that source of cheap bodies. The chassis was bought after seeing how a contributor to that thread used it to power the T9 ...converting it into a Scottish Drummond loco. It’s  a conversion that puts my work here in the shade. 
The chassis was never used ..was pleased to find it had the same wheelbase as the b16....so far so good...and a great runner to boot. John then pointed out the larger wheels on b12. I had a spare set of smaller wheels so changed them over. The problem with RTR wheel sets is quartering them....the knurled ends make slight adjustments difficult at best. I succeeded in damaging the Hornby gear wheel. I was going to use brittania frames and markits...frames from comet purchased. 

I have since obtained a replacement gear from peters spares...larger dia markits axles from scalelink for the Hornby chassis. Wheels axles and gear fitted meshing nicely with the Hornby motor and worm. This left the problem of too large holes for the crank pins in the Hornby coupling rods. Brass pipe soldered in and cut off reduced ....now fitted and apparently running well will photo in due course

• Like 1

Gday Manna 

yes totally agree...different types of pleasure in this hobby. The admiration of the latest RTR masterpiece....putting together a well designed kit and appreciating the designers work for example Mike Edge’s Fell, and yes seeing the potential to create something not readily available, or making something for a fraction of the price by using cheaper source material

Seasons greetings by the way to you and your loved ones  and indeed to all who visit this thread

best wishes Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas even had a few snow furries land on the loft velux window a few minutes ago...work so far on B16 ....Hornby B1 bogie with a just extended arm fitted...the tender still to have any work done ..for effect at present

FF1C220B-2F90-4E32-96C7-D055EC1B6A13.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

G'Day Folks

The B16 is not an engine I need for Edgware, but I can see the merit in having a 4-6-0 on the books, (the GN didn't have any 4-6-0's) but would not look to far out of place on a 'Special'. I have a couple of B12 chassis and two D49 bodies, but what valve gear are you going use ??? ( D49).

Merry Christmas, manna.

Merry Christmas Manna

Yes John recommended the D49 and a set is on order with wizard models together with LNER cylinders and single cross head. The loco is in primer to highlight any areas for attention...smokebox saddle for example. It will really come alive when detailed...handrails smokebox door handle etc...my beloved has put an embargo on the loft today, so must wait further work.

• Like 1