Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Hello John I think the brass kit by 52f models ....I think that is the company is a work of art and well worth the price which wouldn't be far short of the nucast kit,recently sold. It would be the route I would take if I wanted a state of the art model...I like the A5 but not enough to pay that sort of money.

I have had a very kind reply from the trader who has kindly cancelled my order and refunded my money. A true gent. I must admit though the bug has bit and have just been exploring the options of utilising part of a GBL director. It will hinge on whether I can create the cab with its side windows and beading. I have done this before , the trick is cut out the window(s) slightly bigger than required....add to backing metal or plastic....drill and file out the middles, leaving thin outer beading....tedious but can be effective. I await the Isinglass drawing to explore further. Just added the handrails to the GBL std 4 really improves an already good model.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

If you do decide to scratch build a body, an early RTR Princess chassis, re-wheeled has the correct wheelbase, so I've been told.

manna 

Funny you should mention a Princess, manna

the cryptic reference to the turbomotive. I have purchased a part worked conversion again on the auction site. I have previously toyed with the idea of modelling this loco in its converted state as Princess Anne. I can't quite bring myself to do so even though I find it a very attractive loco. It's tragic demise being the reason . The turbomotive added to my collection will end that dillemma

• Like 1

Gday manna.  My sort of modelling...I note Ben alder has liked it as well. His creations are fantastic. My director will provide the firebox boiler and smokebox...the cab Windows sadly are too large for the A5...Meanwhile work on the std 4 and behind the 28 xx. The class 4 has all the handrails replaced and is awaiting a high level gearbox before wheels motion etc added. The 28 xx...started some time ago.I tried to marry Hornby wheels and comet chassis and high level gearbox and motor. In order to use comet coupling rod replaced the Hornby crankpins with markits. There are problems quartering the Hornby wheels...they are the devil to get off an axle. I almost got it quartered when I damaged the comet coupling rod. I bought a Hornby replacement....holes to big for the now markits crankpins.. I then bought another set of Hornby wheels..all by the way from peters spares. The wheels and Hornby crankpins now in place all work well...the Hornby crosshead and connecting rod now fettled into comet cylinders and slidebars. A real mish mash but it works really well, not least due to the excellent gear  / motor combo

photo of the std 4 and the 52 F model downloaded for inspiration....28 xx hiding away in the first photo!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

G'Day Folks

Love this hacking, amazing what you can make. Here' two more. A J1 5'8" wheels, Chris P Bacon J50 chassis, scratch body. and a J4, on a Dublo/Wrenn chassis. Coupled to a Kitmaster Stirling tender, right Mix ,Mash.

manna

DSCF5284.JPG

DSCF5032.JPG.9fbdce70eb4b620261e00ae21da5d750.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 xx now running on its Hornby wheeled / motion...comet high level chassis.The std 4 tank next as high level gearbox now arrived . The isinglass A5 drawing tempting me to try those cab Windows.  Lastly very pleased with my turbomotive purchase. It seems all the bits required to complete in BR lined black complete with smoke deflectors. I speak daily with my young train mad colleague and well remember , my speaking with older modellers.I was in awe of collections such as mine.  Is there a point to having all these models? I have to say it's the challenge of building a model which enthuses me...oh well

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

i appear to be having problems accessing this site via my i pad....it wont for example allow me to type in these dialogue box.(using a work laptop on my break to type this..

i was hoping to show the completed 28xx....reallly pleased given its humble Great british loco origins. It really helps by removing the ringfield lump in the 3500 gallon tender and replacing with plasticard and real coal. The A5 is progressing well courtesy of the Isinglass drawing being used as a template and the GBL Director providing the boiler part running plate and reduced firebox. will photo in due course..

• Like 4

Just confirmed by my young colleague that the operating system on my i pad mini  is no longer compatible with the upgrade recently by the RM web...(using another computer to type this...) i fear my xmas present this  year wont be my usual train...

• Friendly/supportive 1

Photo’s of the two locos described the 28xx completed, looking far better for the moulded lump of coal removed and replaced by the real thing.

the A5 loco sitting on my new Ten Commandments cleaning wagon just for effect at the moment. Awaiting its proper chassis

7CE1F44B-A23D-4540-9C17-A3C848AFFF11.jpeg

E5DDF750-3CF8-41F1-B991-6FDF02256A4C.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 46256 said:

Photo’s of the two locos described the 28xx completed, looking far better for the moulded lump of coal removed and replaced by the real thing.

the A5 loco sitting on my new Ten Commandments cleaning wagon just for effect at the moment. Awaiting its proper chassis

7CE1F44B-A23D-4540-9C17-A3C848AFFF11.jpeg

E5DDF750-3CF8-41F1-B991-6FDF02256A4C.jpeg

G'Day Folks

My, that A5 is looking good.

manna

This is my A5/1 - Craftsman body on Alan Gibson frames. The rake is a combination of D&S and Worsley Works. I really like these big Pacific tanks. Your model is coming along nicely, Brian. 

This A5/1 was in the NE for a short time in 1950/51 but , strictly speaking, an A5/2 would be a more prototypical bet. I need to research the differences and see if I can use your method to get the LNER version. I still have a couple of GBL D11;s and some sheets of plasticard,,,,

IMG_20201017_134641.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 4

Hello John just sent a pm , not being an LNER expert I suspect the main differences between the two were the reduced fittings to make them conform to other constituent companies loading gauges. The isinglass drawing is exceptional  and can be used as a template ....taking into account the widths if plasticard being used...something that caught me out. My model has had the dome reduced by filing and wet and dry application. The addition of handrails..a markits snifter valve and smoke box door handle , lift it considerably. The MR on the rear buffer beam ....left over from GBL compound used in a previous carve up....will be painted over in due course.  Typing this on my wife’s newer version of I pad. She wants me to upgrade to a new model...lots of money say I ...you would spend it on a train.....end of argument I fear... 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Hello Eric....succumbed this is on the new I pad...great to see any prototypical information on this thread. In respect of maps...I have always loved them ...was on the National Library of Scotland website over the weekend...old ordnance survey maps. I was especially interested on the survey done from mid fifties to mid sixties and published in 1967 for Water Orton Minworth Curdworth.  I have always been fascinated by the 2 ft gauge railway that serviced the Minworth sewage farm.  This map shows it at its fullest extent extending over the main Kingsbury Road to its workshops in Minworth Greaves...around the main filter beds...over water Orton road to sludge beds...ok not glamorous ...by Curdworth then following the side of the River Tame under the main Kingsbury line past an area we used to call the bomb craters...courtesy of the Luftwaffe...then into the smaller Coleshill works. Only ever saw the small diesels...but the little 040 bagnalls ...really appealing. The map shows the Coleshill works ...right alongside the extensive Hams Hall system all now long gone...

Cab steps added and painted gloss black awaiting transfers..still on temporary chassis the strip lighting reflecting off the gloss paint creates a poor result as seen . The gloss necessary though as a good surface for the transfers. I am cheating with the chassis using comet Ivatt 262t frames with an addition to the front to manage the front bogie. The wheelbase is slightly out...will see when I marry up if acceptable. The alternative would be as John R as used Gibson frames...or the A2 has same wheelbase....a chassis from SE Finecast...will try the comet option first

image.jpg

EA33F472-9D0C-4803-9D5C-9D016E0A50E9.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The one my father scratcbuilt out of platicard many years ago runs on an original Trian Princess chassis.. worked for him!

I would photograph it but plasticard fatigue has appeared in the cab area..

Baz

• Like 1

Don’t know what happened to first image taken last night...striplight reflecting off the gloss providing a poor picture...tried to remove it...better one just added in daylight. Manna has mentioned the princess has the correct wheelbase but I  want to use my preferred high level gear and motor combination.  The attached photo shows the frames over the drawing....mmm looking at it more closely I think home made frames and a Gibson universal coupling rod...

image.jpg

Edited by 46256

Bit of a postscript to the Fell saga. I have been following the KR models thread who have now produced an EP model. It is very impressive. It has highlighted a discrepancy with Mikes version, generously acknowledged by him. The outer cranks were different to the inner ones. This is something you don’t see.....until it’s pointed out and then. I now have to work out how I attached the cranks to the axles...remove and reprofile to the correct shape...then replace and hope I haven’t disrupted the models fine running.