Bachmann G2A

Chevetter

Hi Chaps,

Long time since my last post but that's because it's now coming up to dad's birthday!

What do you think of the Bachmann g2a? Does anyone have one? I read a review which suggests that they need a little running in and that the front coupling is very ugly but other than that it's a good model. Any further opinions?

Also they offer variants with or without a tender cab. Personally I think the tender cab looks kinda cool but does anyone have any info that will help me choose between them? (number built, years in service, etc. etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Chevetter

• RMweb Gold

Impulse purchase when they first came out - mine's very smooth - I chipped with a Lenz via the 21 pin converter gizmo. They seem to "capture" the prototype but I'm no R**** C****** or expert. Mine's away for weathering atm and I am thinking about sound.

Couplings - I use Kadees so I'll accept the visual hit as I do use both ends in operation.

Chris

Very pleased with the example I have, it came out of the box running like a charm, and only got better with a Lenz 21pin silver. Pulls well too, no trouble picking up one wagon at a time in a dead slow crawl with 60 wagons on level track.

General appearance and dimensions are very satisfactory. The front coupler can be cut away or removed by disassembly for an immediate improvement in appearance. If I wanted a front coupling for tension locks a fine wire bar formed into the 'bumper' loop, anchored in a couple of holes drilled in the underside of the front platform would be my choice for something discreet. On the tender the 'coal' has the usual unrealistic appearance, but this is a separate cast ballast weight easily removed by knocking out from below, and replaced by the real stuff. The adjustable length loco to tender coupling is very welcome, and if you have the tender cab version the protruding piece which goes under the loco cab roof is only lightly glued in place; it can be easily snapped out and thinned down to eliminate any binding on curves. The hinged fall plate on the tender was vertical on mine as supplied, and it was a while before I spotted it; a little plasticard glued on top bridges the gap nicely.

Very pleased with the example I have, it came out of the box running like a charm, and only got better with a Lenz 21pin silver. Pulls well too, no trouble picking up one wagon at a time in a dead slow crawl with 60 wagons on level track.

General appearance and dimensions are very satisfactory. The front coupler can be cut away or removed by disassembly for an immediate improvement in appearance. If I wanted a front coupling for tension locks a fine wire bar formed into the 'bumper' loop, anchored in a couple of holes drilled in the underside of the front platform would be my choice for something discreet. On the tender the 'coal' has the usual unrealistic appearance, but this is a separate cast ballast weight easily removed by knocking out from below, and replaced by the real stuff. The adjustable length loco to tender coupling is very welcome, and if you have the tender cab version the protruding piece which goes under the loco cab roof is only lightly glued in place; it can be easily snapped out and thinned down to eliminate any binding on curves. The hinged fall plate on the tender was vertical on mine as supplied, and it was a while before I spotted it; a little plasticard glued on top bridges the gap nicely.

Nothing I can add to that really- bought two when they were first released, and very pleased with them. One of mine was a initially a bit hesitant on the test track in my local model shop (so much so they asked if I still wanted it), but once properly run in, it runs very sweetly.

Definitely recommended

Despite modelling 1970/80s BR blue, I bought one of these the moment I saw it (at the least it is the model of the preserved one).

Ran well straight out of the box, and looks great from every angle. I believe the smokebox door opens, but I've never bothered - can't understand the current fad with manufacturers for this gimmick. Overal a model that to my untrained eye is great and makes a nice change from later designs of steamers. Handles the pointwork on my layout flawlessly, has good smooth running even at slow speeds. Whilst the front coupling is a little ugly, I'm sure it can be removed if necessary. I've kept it because it would be a little useless on a shunting layout without it.

To answer your original question Chevetter the last four in service finished in 1964 from Bescot. One of the reasons for their withdrawal was the inability of their ancient tenders to remain watertight. They were technically replaced by six Fowler 4Fs, although their original coal hauling had been taken over by 8Fs and diesels and the last two diagrams involved general freight trips to Wednesfield Road yard near Wolverhampton.

I have two of the original Bachmann release - one staying as 49361, the other becoming one of the other 1964 trio but not picked one yet !!!

Afternoon Phil, sorry to butt in but what were the numbers of the other three Bescot Weezers and did they all have the 'tender cab' or not....?

Cheers, Nidge wink.gif

The last 4 Super Ds at Bescot were 48895, 49361, 49407 and 49430. The first three of these definitely had tender cabs when withdrawn. I can't find my photo of 49430 to confirm that it had one when withdrawn, but it certainly had a tender cab in 1963/4.

All I can say about my LMS version (no tender cab) is it runs exceptionally well. It is DCC fitted with a Bachmann 21 pin decoder. I did do some playing to get it to just take off at 1% on my Digitrax controller. It will do down to a 1m per minute and hold that speed on good clean, level track. Though on my layout the gradients are servere at 20" radius (30%) it has been running around my layout and forgoten for 3 hours with 15waggons on with no ill effects. Just kept crawling around and it is silent!

Go for it if you are buying one!

The last 4 Super Ds at Bescot were 48895, 49361, 49407 and 49430. The first three of these definitely had tender cabs when withdrawn. I can't find my photo of 49430 to confirm that it had one when withdrawn, but it certainly had a tender cab in 1963/4.

Many thanks for that PH, duly noted wink.gif

Nidge

G2A is here and to be honest I'd say its a very nice model - it's certainly incredibly detailed.

The only thing that I would say is that the coal in the tender doesn't look very realistic but I suppose that's to be expected.

More updates as and when it has been recieved by a happy dad and run in :rolleyes:

Oh Chevetter, we have all forgotten to mention that the cab is very sparse with out a crew. I have fitted mine with a Bachmann Crew from their pack. Very easy to fit and looks SOOOOO much better and it is all of 5minutes work.

I'd go along with what's already been said about the class.

But as far as the couplings are concerned, I remove the hooks on locos, leaving just the bar, on locos to run on the club layout, and on my own layout replace the whole coupling unit with a fabricated replacement with a 20 thou diameter brass bar.Either way makes the coupling less obtrusive, and easier for uncoupling.

• 6 years later...

I have the G2A in BR black, number 49395 in its preserved condition.  What are the differences between the preserved example and how it would have run in service in the 1950s?

When, in the 1950's, it also depends on how accurate you want to be. The Bachmann model of 49395, I believe, is early crest with the power class indicated on the cab side sheet ahead of the cut-out window. Now to be correct you'll probably need photographic evidence of change of crest, and the re-positioning of the power classification to above the number, as the dates of change are so varied for the different locos of the class, some changed soon after the livery change in late 56/early 57, others went for scrap still with the early crest. Another minefield is the tender, many were changed at works visits, with about 5 or 6 variations ( Whale, Bowen-Cooke, Claughton - all with or without tender cabs) to choose from, as locos were withdrawn, if they had a good condition tender with tender-cab, they were sidelined. As already mentioned Bescot had a high proportion of G2's with tender-cabs, as they did a lot of running tender first, especially to collieries in open areas like to the north of Walsall, Wolverhampton, and Cannock Chase. 

When, in the 1950's, it also depends on how accurate you want to be. The Bachmann model of 49395, I believe, is early crest with the power class indicated on the cab side sheet ahead of the cut-out window. Now to be correct you'll probably need photographic evidence of change of crest, and the re-positioning of the power classification to above the number, as the dates of change are so varied for the different locos of the class, some changed soon after the livery change in late 56/early 57, others went for scrap still with the early crest. Another minefield is the tender, many were changed at works visits, with about 5 or 6 variations ( Whale, Bowen-Cooke, Claughton - all with or without tender cabs) to choose from, as locos were withdrawn, if they had a good condition tender with tender-cab, they were sidelined. As already mentioned Bescot had a high proportion of G2's with tender-cabs, as they did a lot of running tender first, especially to collieries in open areas like to the north of Walsall, Wolverhampton, and Cannock Chase. 

I'm wanting to have it in early 1950's condition.  In terms of accuracy, so long as it isn't in a totally unrealistic condition like the Flying Scotsman running as an A3 with LNER Apple Green Livery then for the moment I'm happy enough with it.  From what you've said it seems like only the power classification needs adjusting right now.

I'm wanting to have it in early 1950's condition.  In terms of accuracy, so long as it isn't in a totally unrealistic condition like the Flying Scotsman running as an A3 with LNER Apple Green Livery then for the moment I'm happy enough with it.  From what you've said it seems like only the power classification needs adjusting right now.

As 49395 didn't receive it's BR number 'till about September 1950, I'd think your safe enough to go 'as is'. :sungum:

Archived