Hornby Class 29 – Ex-Works

Beautiful detail. I've not seen such attention before to the Hornby model. Is it too late to remove that vertical mould line from the nose side? You seem reluctant to do a full repaint and renumber and I can't understand that considering the amount of ability you have.

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful detail. I've not seen such attention before to the Hornby model. Is it too late to remove that vertical mould line from the nose side? You seem reluctant to do a full repaint and renumber and I can't understand that considering the amount of ability you have.

To be honest, it's one thing I hadn't noticed! Thanks for pointing it out.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's looking like a nice little model, totally out of my era and region but I do quite like the 29 in a weird way, especially the green ones with snowploughs.  I just got sidetracked googling them, after looking at yours and thinking "that yellow panel looks an odd shape, with the 'step' below the window line".  Of course, I'd never dare to doubt your painting, turns out it is indeed correct :-D

• RMweb Premium

That's looking like a nice little model, totally out of my era and region but I do quite like the 29 in a weird way, especially the green ones with snowploughs.  I just got sidetracked googling them, after looking at yours and thinking "that yellow panel looks an odd shape, with the 'step' below the window line".  Of course, I'd never dare to doubt your painting, turns out it is indeed correct :-D

There were many variations in the way the full yellow ends were applied. I still have to brush a small curve on the corner next to the bottom of the side windows. 

David

Edited by Kylestrome

Looking great.

I've always had a bit of fondness for the 29s, mostly as it was one of the only reliable locos my father had on his often troublesome layout growing up. It survived until my brother got it in his head that it needed a rearranged front end courtesy of the 4 foot drop to the floor via a tight curve taken too fast...

• RMweb Premium

Though not specifically for Class 29s, here are the various stages of constructing a ‘bass reflex’ speaker enclosure for this loco.

Not doubt the true audiophile will cringe at this over simplified explanation, but my understanding of the principle involved is that the vibrating air behind the speaker should be forced to travel the longest possible route to the outside. This should, in theory at least, enhance (or preserve) the bass sounds and these tiny speakers can certainly use every help they can get in that respect.

DSC02648.jpg.7e9482b9932ddb22bb68fd27995e9b75.jpg

This box is divided so that there is a chamber for the speaker, below which is an enclosed tunnel which goes back and forth several times and ends with a tube leading to the outside. 

DSC02649.jpg.bfc83d95b0c5cbe68688666485b06d3c.jpg

DSC02651.jpg.c6940898ebc3d1e243dde27bacb613d2.jpg

Everything is built using 1mm thick styrene sheet, making sure that every joint is well sealed. 

DSC02652.jpg.e3c0f2e0d81b028c336c4fe382cc0cf8.jpg

DSC02654.jpg.af10cdf433aa43af6e7397ea7c0f0e88.jpg

The speaker, wires and brass tube are all glued in with 5 minute epoxy.

The biggest problem I have with providing sound for the Class 29 is that there seem to be no sound recordings of one in the wild. Did they sound remotely like any other type of loco?

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Though not specifically for Class 29s, here are the various stages of constructing a ‘bass reflex’ speaker enclosure for this loco.

Not doubt the true audiophile will cringe at this over simplified explanation, but my understanding of the principle involved is that

the vibrating air behind the speaker should be forced to travel the longest possible route to the outside. This should, in theory at

least, enhance (or preserve) the bass sounds and these tiny speakers can certainly use every help they can get in that respect.

attachicon.gifDSC02648.jpg

This box is divided so that there is a chamber for the speaker, below which is an enclosed tunnel which goes back and forth

several times and ends with a tube leading to the outside. 

attachicon.gifDSC02649.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC02651.jpg

Everything is built using 1mm thick styrene sheet, making sure that every joint is well sealed. 

attachicon.gifDSC02652.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC02654.jpg

The speaker, wires and brass tube are all glued in with 5 minute epoxy.

The biggest problem I have with providing sound for the Class 29 is that there seem to be no sound recordings of one

in the wild. Did they sound remotely like any other type of loco?

David

Apparently when D6123 was re-engined at Colchester, it was kept at Stratford for a short period and tested on the GE main line. It had a high pitched sound compared to the other diesel classes running the route at that time and it could be heard from quite a way off because if it's destinctive sound. I don't think the Ventura screamed as much as the Valenta though.

• 1 month later...

Class 29, D6129 was outshopped today after extensive conversion works and, after a small amount of touching up, weathering and generally fiddling, will shortly enter service.

attachicon.gif29-1.jpg

attachicon.gif29-2.jpg

It is rumoured that this locomotive will soon have a stable mate delivered fresh from the Dapol factory but, in the words of shed master McTavish "We'll 'ave a wee dram while we're waiting!"

David

Wowwwiiie!

Think that must be the best model of a 29 I can ever remember seeing.

Absolutley stunning and thank you for sharing.

If either my 21 and 29 come out any near as good as this I will be a happy man. 

Cheers Trailrage

It is a pity that Hornby fudged the 29, and produced something not 21 and not 29, as the body detail genreally was superb.  I used two Hornby power bogies in mine.  They were wired in parallel, and with extra weight could pull a decent train-before, the single motor chassis had difficulty with the skin on a rice pudding.  A superb conversion-Well Done!

What bearings were you using on the rice pudding skin ?  I suspect they were the problem !  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Seriously though,  I have a Hornby cl29, (which I bought very recently, and appears to never have been used !) and I have to say, I am really pleased with it following changing the dried out traction tyres and fitting a dcc decoder. Admittedly, it would benefit from some added weight, but, my layout is flat with no inclines, so nothing seems to struggle on it.  Obviously, it cannot be compared to more recent "Heavy Chassis" offerings from the big manufacturers, but, compared to many of my Ringfield motored locos, it's pretty good.

Suprisingly, the one loco I have which seems to struggle for grip the most is my ViTrains cl37.

Edited by andi4x4

What bearings were you using on the rice pudding skin ?  I suspect they were the problem !  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Seriously though,  I have a Hornby cl29, (which I bought very recently, and appears to never have been used !) and I have to say, I am really pleased with it following changing the dried out traction tyres and fitting a dcc decoder. Admittedly, it would benefit from some added weight, but, my layout is flat with no inclines, so nothing seems to struggle on it.  Obviously, it cannot be compared to more recent "Heavy Chassis" offerings from the big manufacturers, but, compared to many of my Ringfield motored locos, it's pretty good.

Suprisingly, the one loco I have which seems to struggle for grip the most is my ViTrains cl37.

I found the Hornby pancake motors a very poor idea indeed-cheap, bad design, badly built.  I stripped both motors completely and then cleaned and inspected them, re-lubricated the bearings and gears, and ran them in at half load-forward and reverse.  After wiring up in the chassis, the diesel was tested on a friend's layout with increasing loads.  Kylestrom's images of the finished model capture the class 29 perfectly.

Lovely result, now I have caught up with this thread. That's the definitive 'rain dance' that has spurred Dapol into action do we think?

... the single motor chassis had difficulty with the skin on a rice pudding...

The other easy alternative for OO types if a cheap Bachmann 24 or 25 mechanism can be obtained, is to fit that inside the Hornby mouldings. The top sides of the stripped clean main casting has to be attacked with your coarsest mill file to give it the necessary taper, but that done it practically builds itself.The Hornby body and underframe mouldings - with a little internal and fully concealed hacking for fit - clip around the casting, and the cosmetic bogie frames given locating holes to match the lugs on the Bachmann gear tower, just clip on. It really is that easy to upgrade to an all wheel drive and pick up.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the positive comments – much appreciated.

The alternative to the Hornby power bogie, or Bachmann replacement chassis, is the solution that I used (see post #3).

The High Level Models LoRider bogie is still available and not that difficult to put together. It was designed wth Hornby locos in mind, and screws directly to the cosmetic outer frame. The result is a very smooth running and controllable loco using DC or DCC.

The centre of the chassis I have filled with old pieces of printers lead and the complete loco now weighs 293 grams. By comparison, a Bachmann Class 25 weighs 414g and a Class 20 373g. Because the power bogie is compensated, which means all 4 wheels stay in contact with the rails, there is more than enough traction available.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1

Here's my effort using a complete Heljan Bo-Bo chassis. You can see in the second photo the method of attachment of the Hornby chassis frame to the Heljan block using screws through plasticard mounting pads which are glued to the frame. In the third pic you can see the amount of plasticard packing needed to get the correct ride height. The Heljan bogie wheelbase seems to be about half a millimetre out of alignment with the Hornby axleboxes but I can live with that.

The body is shamefully unaltered (as yet).post-7084-0-70607600-1492534784_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-55730100-1492534799_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-78656600-1492534813_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my effort using a complete Heljan Bo-Bo chassis.

**cough** Bachmann. Although Heljan Class 15/16/17 bogies could be used. Currently adapting Hornby Hd HST parts myself

Edited by thaddeus

Have part of the bogie frames been used from a Bachmann? One certainly looks like it has a Bachmann branchline logo on the underside

Oops, how embarrassing. Well spotted Gordon. I quite thought I had used a Heljan chassis. It was a few years ago, so I'm claiming senility. Yes, it is definitively a Bachmann chassis. Apologies for any misunderstanding and for getting on (and spectacularly falling off) my high horse.