Any chance of Individual pics of the wagons and armoured vehicles please, they look great and would like to see more.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

I haven't got many, but I've had a trawl and come up with these.

None of my models are definitive representations of the real things - "inspired by" would be a better description.

DSCN0273.jpg

This is the Wild Boar Models Warwell with an S&S Models CVR(T) Sultan load (awaiting tie down straps). The wagon is 3D printed and in my opinion is a good representation of the real thing and makes for a relatively easy building project. The only difficulty I found was in smoothing out the stippling left by the 3D printing process and then arranging the couplings. As the wagon has jacks at each corner, to prevent it tipping while loading/unloading, the arc allowed for a coupling to swing is restricted. The Warflats have the same issue and to ensure my rake will go smoothly through reverse curves, towed and propelled, they have to go in a particular order. It seems to work okay for me, though a more precise modeller than me would be able to use one of the many decent coupling systems to achieve good running. I wanted a model of one of the cradles used to make the Warrior sit within the loading gauge, but since Genesis stopped making them there are none around. Scratch building may be an option if I get time.

The Sultan is a resin kit which goes together well. It includes a GPMG which I left off! It probably wouldn't stand up to the exacting standards of modern military modellers without lots of detail work, but having some not so fond memories of working out of the back of a Sultan somewhere hot and uncomfortable I had to have one.

DSCN0284.jpgDSCN0283.jpg

These are the best shots I could find of a Warflat. They are Genesis metal kits which Paul Bason built for me, I didn't have the kit for low melt soldering, before I painted them. I had the same problems with the couplings. Even three of them make a very heavy trailing load which none of my mainline locos struggle with. However, my two MoD shunters, both of which run on Black Beetle chassis, didn't have the weight, no matter how much I crammed in.

So I had to buy this...

Basra.jpg

The cover story for this Modelzone representation of a Longmoor Military Railway shunter goes along the lines of a heritage vehicle maintained on the Cottleston Military Railway as a depot 'pet' for special occasions - and to shunt the Warflats!

The FV432 at the front of the train is a GRA Models resin kit, again the detail is rudimentary but it goes together well and makes a nice model of a vehicle that has been used by the Army for years and years (it's still in service, in a modified form today. The Scimitar tank is Airfix - a very old kit that I needed to take more trouble with, but building six at once was tedious!

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 10

I'll confess the first time I saw the thread I thought nah not interested but I've come back again and actually it is a really good model with a sound back story. It fits the small space without having to force unprototypical trains into it and the run down nature makes me think Lincolnshire (though in the model it is Nottinghamshire).

I like it.

• Like 1

Great pics Ben, thanks for the descriptions etc, nice wagons and vehicles there - Maybe you could add more pics in the future - Very Interesting layout, and something I would like to do in the future.

Hope to see Layout at exhibition sometime - Keep them pics coming :good:.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks for the comments.

Can we see few more close up pictures of your "super" semaphores!! :paint: :senile:

I'll see what I can do about some pictures of the signals.

If my armoured stuff is half as good as that I'll be pleased !

I think I saw you were at the DE show at Telford - I'm half tempted to go although it's a bit of a haul from Swindon

I see what you mean about the distance.

We could come to you - an expedition to an exhibition in Great Western Railway territory would be a first for us.

Apologies to Mr Class "66" over the further signal pictures - I don't enough room in the house to put up both scenic boards at the same time and the garage is a little cold an unwelcoming at the moment. I'm working on the station board at the moment, replacing a load of Metcalfe paving and repainting some of my population. The only signals on the station board are the remains of those that once protected Crow Lane level crossing, now with their arms removed.

My backscene boards are usually permanently affixed to the layout, but this one had to come down to allow better access to Crow Lane, for the roadworks meaning I was able to get these previously unseen views of the former good shed.

DSCN0591.jpg

How come you never notice those wonky lamp posts until you take a picture?

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

You'll notice that after some major working and fettling over the weekend, Sprinty the 153 (now renamed Suzie by the Boys) is able to fit inside the goods shed! :O

Not long until Telford now. I can't decide whether to transport the layout in the Skoda or my Land Rover - it may depend on the weather forecast!

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 5

For the historians out there I have found some archive pictures of the original Cottleston, back before it was rebuilt into the form for its first exhibition in 2009 and appearance in Model Rail. 

Cottleston%202.jpg

This is the original station, a single platform that was only long enough for a three car unit. The Metcalfe building was modelled as the local library, parish council offices and local police office. The signalbox was a card representation of Deeping St James box between Spalding and Peterborough.

Cottleston%203.jpg

The 156 is passing the original platform starter, which had a scratch built (non-working) theatre type route indicator. The small Wills good shed was used by an infrastructure company while the modified Metcalfe factory covered the control panel.

Cottleston%204.jpg

And where the Military Branch and exchange sidings are now there was just an oil terminal!

The moral of the story is to plan your layout properly before you start building - it saves on skinned knuckles when you lift all that ballast!

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 6

As requested earlier, here are some pictures of Cottleston's remaining semaphores.

DSCN0604.jpg

The remains of the Midland Railways Damson Hill branch run along the bridge that makes the scenic break and the signal at the far end is a Midland Railway fixed distant for Wolery Junction. This is a Model Signal Engineering kit that looks like it's ready for a trip down the embankment or recovery by a preservation group - by the looks of the track there hasn't been a train for some time.

DSCN0599.jpg

Here's a 153 slowing for it's stop and reversal at Cottleston having just passed Signal 37 - the Main Single Line Down Inner Home. The fixed distant arm was originally for Crow Lane box, but now refers to the Stop board at the far end of the platform. There is theatre route indicator mounted on the post, if I'd had the time and know-how that would be capable of showing a 1 or a 2 depending on how the road is set for either of the platforms. There isn't a subsidiary for this signal which means if the platform is occupied the train has to be brought to a stop and the signal cleared slowly to let the driver know there is an obstruction.The signal, representing a late BR short post type, is made from Ratio parts with Model Signal Engineering etched arms.

DSCN0601.jpg

Looking along the disused former Up Main Line there is Signal 43 - now referred to as the Acrewood Single Inner Home. This also has a fixed distant arm for the Crow Lane Stop board. The route indicator is mounted on its own post just beside the signal. This one is all Model Signal Engineering and represents a rare survivor of a Great Northern Railway concrete post signal.

DSCN0603.jpg

Signal 16 is a short posted shunting signal which controls access from the Military Branch to either platform 1 or 2. It has a yellow arm which tells a driver approaching it that they only have to stop if they are intending to go along the signalled route, where the DRS 37 is going. If the route is set for either of the sidings they are allowed to pass the signal at stop. Another signal based on Ratio parts, this one retains its plastic Ratio arm.

DSCN0602.jpg

60007 has just been given the right away to pass Signal 23 and head away along the Acrewood Single Line. This has a yellow arm like number 16 so that shunting moves cn proceed past it along the exchange siding. This is is a Ratio lattice post with an MSE etched arm. The sign just past the signal makes it clear that MoD locos are not allowed on the main line!

DSCN0605.jpg

Finally this is the Network Rail style bracket signal controlling departures from platform 2. The right hand arm is cleared showing that the 153 is on it's way to Nottingham via the Main Single Line and Wolery Junction. This signal is largely scratchbuilt using styrene, etched grills and MSE arms. The enclosed laddering is from an American fire escape kit which I can't seem to get hold of anymore.

All the colour light signals  are Knightwing heads on scratchbuilt posts, while the route indicators and subsidaries come from Britannia models.

See you in Telford.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 4

Hi Ben

Only found you today, great looking layout!

Can I ask where you sourced the decals for the warflats please I've got three to build and don't know where to get them?

Hi Temeraire,

Thanks for the feedback.

The decals come from Appleby Model Engineering, they do a sheet to cover most military wagons. 

As I recall the only way to get them is to enquire by post via - J Talbot, 10 St Dunstan's Close, Battenhall, Worcester, WR5 2AJ. The service was very good.

Good luck with the warflats, they'll look excellent on Tidworth.

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Moggs Eye

Great layout. Good back story.

Also I spied some Lego fire engines in one picture which also go down well in our house :)

Lego, particularly fire engines, is not something we're short of here! I'm very fortunate to have two lads who like model railways, Land Rovers and Lego. Most importantly I have a very supportive wife who lets us all get on with it.

• Like 1

Love the layout your have created a very nice look and feel with great atmosphere. I especially like the semaphore to colour light transition.  

Out on my work travels a while back I came across this signal at Shildon.  A brand new semaphore, but to modern access standards.  All the signals at Shildon were new semaphore and can easily be see in daylight from the NRM museum and the station.

post-4412-0-92479100-1455563151_thumb.jpg

I posted a more detailed description here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9796-a-modern-semaphore-signal/?p=577607

• Like 1

Love the layout your have created a very nice look and feel with great atmosphere. I especially like the semaphore to colour light transition.

Out on my work travels a while back I came across this signal at Shildon. A brand new semaphore, but to modern access standards. All the signals at Shildon were new semaphore and can easily be see in daylight from the NRM museum and the station.

post-4412-0-74452400-1326281007.jpg

I posted a more detailed description here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9796-a-modern-semaphore-signal/?p=577607

Thanks for the feedback and picture. I know lots of people haven't liked the Network Rail semaphores, but I've been keen to model them.

Now I'm thinking of going against real life by changing the colour lights on Emsworth, or at least most of them, for semaphores. Even though that will mean a rebuild of the signal box.

Edited by Moggs Eye

Telford has come and gone. I had a thoroughly good weekend, the layout behaved itself and seemed to have gone down well with the people who stopped by to have a chat.

It was a good venue, spacious and comfortable, though we were on the first floor above a huge dirt bike exhibition. Getting up to the floor was unconventional.

WP_20160219_15_24_15_Pro.jpg

Here's the boxed up layout being uplifted by a very friendly forklift truck driver. There was a pallet truck waiting to wheel it to our part of the hall.

DSCN0608.jpg

Next morning, there we were ready to go.

DSCN0619.jpg

A new addition to the loco roster is 20118 (currently my lad's favourite). It came along as a 'super shunter' to replace an 08 to shunt cement trucks and electric locomotives along the military branch. There are probably too many large BR logos for a post-privatisation layout, but the 50 (Glorious) has brought the electric locos from Crewe for long term storage on spare Mod sidings.

DSCN0623.jpg

Here the Depot Commandant has pulled rank to use the ex Longmoor shunter to bring the Commandant's Saloon down to the exchange sidings for an inspection. I suspect fault will be found with the weeds everywhere.

DSCN0622.jpg

While an FV432 passes in the background there's a meeting between a Royal Logic Corps Officer and a Network Rail engineer about some upcoming engineering work. The station cat appears to have found a new friend.

As a Land Rover fan, I was pleased to see how many of the layouts at Telford had one or two scattered around.

DSCN0620.jpg

Now that the line south of the station has been taken out of use,  a couple of S&T technicians are discussing recovery of the token instrument from the cabinet on the platform.

DSCN0610.jpg

A Central Trains controller seems to have cocked up by allocating a class 170 to a branch service.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the enquiry. Unfortunately Cottleston is under wraps at the moment. Most of my modelling time is taken up with Emsworth at present, I'm taking it to Southwold in a couple of weeks, and it has a few more shows in the autumn. Cottleston's next trip is to the Weston on Trent event in November.

Cheers,

Ben.