Which decoder - Hornby J50 + Heljan 05

paulco

Hello All,

I have just bought a superb Hornby J50 and am soon hoping to get a Heljan 05 shunter, 

please let me know which dcoders to use, I have searched threads but just end up more 

confused. Lenz standard + seems very good, I can find Lenz standard but not the + ones ? 

if I can get hold of Lenz standard + then I think these would be the ones for me, do I need 

stay alives, do they come already fitted with the stay alives, Would they fit into my J50 and 

Heljan 05 if I do get one.

Many thanks for your help.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

The Lenz Standard+ is an excellent decoder at a reasonable price (especially if bought from a German box-shifter). It's not the smallest of decoders (L 25mm x W 15.4mm x H 3.3mm) so I would suggest first removing the J50's body and checking there is space inside for this decoder. I would have thought the side tanks may be a suitable place.

Incidentally, the Standard decoder was replaced by the Standard+ about 7-8 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

The Lenz Standard+ is an excellent decoder at a reasonable price (especially if bought from a German box-shifter). It's not the smallest of decoders (L 25mm x W 15.4mm x H 3.3mm) so I would suggest first removing the J50's body and checking there is space inside for this decoder. I would have thought the side tanks may be a suitable place.

Incidentally, the Standard decoder was replaced by the Standard+ about 7-8 years ago.

Part of one of the side tank weights should be removed to fit the decoder, there's a small screw to remove and a small plastic tab to snap off to remove it, best to measure this weight and compare to your chosen decoder.

Archived