anyone made there own rolling road

andy brad

I have started to make my r/road well the MK1 anyway i have used what is spare in my w/shop the only thing i have to buy in is the bearings which post should bring tomorrow.

I have used a lump of nylon for the insulated base and some aluminium angle for the bearing supports to make it adjustable i have milled slots in the base so one piece of aluminium can be adjusted for different gauge locos. i will also slot the bearing fixing so i can adjust to each loco or tender whichever has the pickup for the motor. if you can think up some ideas please feel free to pop them below. more when i get the bearings andy

post-28131-0-51864600-1453396657_thumb.pngpost-28131-0-10401300-1453396665.png

post-28131-0-60985500-1454012298_thumb.jpgpost-28131-0-55843100-1454012151_thumb.jpgpost-28131-0-17244200-1454012161_thumb.jpg

Any chance of some photos from a higher angle so we can see the bearings please?  (Before or after the new bearings are fitted.)

Here you go my problem was with this continental loco the chassis hit the side rail (small wheels) and caused a short. so i spaced the bearings out with 2BA nuts. the bearings are only 10mm dia the new ones i have ordered are 20mm dia so it will raise the chassis above the side rails. one photo shows the bearing size against a 2 BA nut.

i connected it to my gauge master controller as i have recently purchased it second hand and wanted to test it.i have ordered 20 new larger bearings as i will put 4 bearings per wheel to aid with pick up and stabilise the loco when running up. when they arrive i will post pictures then again they only cost £4 with postage.

• 2 weeks later...

The ones I've seen use bearings in pairs, so as to seat the wheel between them: more contact, more stable and less chance of it moving off.

Jeffp have a look at post 5 i came to the same conclusion on the first test.

New larger bearings came yesterday haven't had time to fit yet but it will work well i am sure surprising really it's usually the MK3 that works :no:

Jeffp have a look at post 5 i came to the same conclusion on the first test.

New larger bearings came yesterday haven't had time to fit yet but it will work well i am sure surprising really it's usually the MK3 that works :no:

If you are going to be running 4mm stock on the rolling road you need to use the 10mm bearings in pairs not the 20mm bearings

using the 10mm bearing you will have 20mm centres between each pair of bearings giving you a 20mm minimum wheelbase, which will suit the majority of 4mm stock.

Using the 20mm bearings the minimum wheelbase would be 40mm, way to big for 4mm stock, plus the smaller wheels of 4mm stock would be sitting lower down between the bearings such that the chassis parts would be catching on the bearings

Geoff

Thanks for the interest Geoff

I will be able to sort it i only had 10 small bearings which was not enough for some of my loco's so when i ordered more i got the bigger ones for larger  gauge and they will prob support bogies on the tri-ang  loco's i have. at £4 per ten i may get some more smaller ones should i need them.

andy

• RMweb Gold

I have made a `heath Robinson` rolling road using the paired bearings available on ebay for my 7mm kitbuilding and will make another for my 4mm stuff.

post-17779-0-96265000-1454851636_thumb.jpg

5 bearings are enough for most steam and diesel wheel formations and simply clip on a length of powered track from which the current is transferred to the bearings.   Cost about £50.

post-17779-0-29159000-1454851651_thumb.jpg

Simples !!

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry been preoccupied with a hip replacement operation recovering well now.

half the fun with the railway is to use the gray matter and see if that will work its a hobby not a race its not even about saving money it's just to put in some effort and get the satisfaction out so well done to you all who have had a go i say.

andy b

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not made completely by me, but this is what I ended up cobbling together inspired by the contributions above.  I don't have a milling machine so I took the simpler route.

post-9672-0-85421100-1467986671_thumb.jpg

post-9672-0-92121300-1467986690_thumb.jpg

Rollers are by Direct Train Spares of Burnley via Craven Models of Skipton (they were cheaper but appear to be out of stock now). The rest is just a couple of pieces of old Hornby track, some banana connectors, scraps of MDF and leftover emulsion.  The short length of track sits on a piece of MDF with slots in the underside that allow it to slide backwards and forwards.  Both longer lengths of track are connected to the power supply to accomodate locomotives with tender pick ups.

Archived