Happy Bunny.....

shortliner

Digging in my so-called "filing System", while hunting for a totally different article, I discovered print-outs of the photos from Jordan's original article that have since vanished from the RMweb thread - if anyone is interested, I can scan them and put them on here

gallery_8865_3816_468213.jpg

You could always consider using the Atlas Wye turnout. As manufactured (as above) it is only 13" long, but could easily be reduced by 3 or 4 inches. The one in the picture has been modified to remove the webbing between most of the sleepers in a attempt to create a 'lighter' look and also has the sleepers treated to make them appear run-down & washed out. Further weathering and detailing is still required.

Those Lima points are about 24inch (2ft, or 600mm) radius.

Yes they are very sharp which is one reason I no longer have Portway Terminal.

Ok, I understand but your track plan was interesting.

The Lima turnouts are good for narrow gauge with bigger ties.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on an HO scale version of Portway Terminal. As you can see from the photos, it is very early in the process - trackwork is more or less in place, feeders attached (though not connected) and insulated gaps done. The base is a hollow core door, 80 inches in length by 15 inches in width. Turnouts are Setrack and track is Atlas code 83. I plan to use three industries like the original, though it I have yet to determine the nature of those industries. The two building in place are just place holders.

Though at 6 feet, 8 inches, it is shorter than the recommended 8 feet, it does work. It is proportionally wider than the original, so I actually have room for full-size buildings, not just flats. Of course having a longer base board would allow for broader turnouts but my small switchers and 40' max rolling stock have no trouble with the Setrack points.

I've admired Jordan's layout (former layout, alas) since I first saw it in MTI #82. My smaller version is named the Fairport Terminal, an homage to the Portway Terminal and the Fair Weather Railway.

Now I need to figure the best method for putting tracks in the street!post-19860-0-85167100-1458433490_thumb.jpg

Dr John - Interested to see that someone else is intrigued by this layout - mine is somewhat longer than yours, being built on 8" wide MDF offcut boards (though one of these is going to need widening to take a roadway) but mine are formed from two 48" boards with two bolt-on extensions of 18" giving a total length of 11'. If it brightens up (and warms up!) I'll try to get some pics up shortly

Dr John - "like" is just so inadequate!! That is a great version, the wider boards make a lot of difference, for the roadway out front (assuming you keep that feature) & the use of proper buildings at rear, rather than flats.

Please post more as it progresses!!

Thanks for the kind comments. Credit, of course, goes to Jordan for the original design/inspiration. I wish I had the room to attempt it in O scale but my 6 feet 8 inches is my total allocation in the shared guest room (wife's sewing room and my shelf-mounted model railroad). I gave brief consideration to attempting the design in N scale but, with my 55 year-old eyesight, that way lies madness . . .

Shortliner: I'd love to see pics of your version of the Portway Terminal!

Jordan: Yes, I plan on incorporating a road much like you did as well as the two grade crossings (and the paved over rails near the garage). Still pondering industries. I like the idea of a cold storage building but rather than a warehouse, I may go with a small manufacturer to legitimize the use of flat cars and gondolas for machinery, box cars for parts, and the occasional tank car for lubricating oil. For the third industry, I'm leaning toward a grain elevator with silos (Pringles cans would work well in HO) but with the shorter sidings I'll stick with the late 1950's/early 1960's to justify grain loading boxcars instead of the long covered hoppers.

JAMO - thank you!

By the way, any suggestions as to the best way to pave the road while embedding the rails? The layout will by necessity be moved around and sometimes stored on end, so durability is a consideration. Walthers Cornerstone street system is an option but I'd rather spend that money on something else. I've thought about using sheet styrene as well as Durham's Water Putty.

Thoughts?

'

Dear Dr John,

I'm including the link to the MRH thread FYI, but I've yet to see a description supporting Styrene Street like the following...

I also tried a new-to-me technique for making concrete slabs. Boy was that a mistake. Next time I'll stick with the spray paint and sheet styrene. But here's the story:

So I'm in the 99 cent store and see they have spackle for, well, 99 cents. A light bulb goes on in my head and I'm thinking of all those youtube vids about how easy spackle is to use to make roads etc. I get home with 5 spackle containers, and a 3 pack of putty knives, plus sanding pads, for a grand total of under $7.50. Great deal, and this is where simplicity ends.

This stuff takes days to dry, requires multiple coats, sanding, vacuuming, cleaning track, more sanding, cleaning, vacuuming. Apparently, these parts are all left out of the videos.

Note to self, Styene, Paint, Done.

Personally, I've used both card and styrene a la Jim Pryke's "Building City Scenery for Your Railroad" book on "Brooklyn 3:AM", and have never looked back...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

As promised - some photos of my version

post-6688-0-97280700-1458568381.jpg

post-6688-0-38875700-1458568323.jpg    

post-6688-0-17733700-1458568345.jpg

post-6688-0-70516500-1458568406_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-59679100-1458568432_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-35889600-1458568454_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-56075300-1458568532.jpg

Prof Klylr - I have a copy of Jim Pryke's book around here somewhere. I checked out the article about road building on MRH - thanks for the tip! Still leaning toward styrene for durability but keeping an open mind.

Shortliner - Great pics! Thanks for posting them. Looks like you could run 50 footers with no trouble with the extra length. Love the Plymouth switcher and how it's dwarfed by the hi-cubes.

Yes - It was laid out with 50'+ cars in mind. and I've always loved the Plymouth with high sides since a picture on the cover of a way back SMT featuring one towing a couple of cars of sawdust on the Union Of Oregon RR - as you say - completely dwarfed by them. ( Rather like this one)

post-6688-0-08146700-1458644248.jpg

Had a small accident taking the boards down again when one of the joints parted company - currently being stuck back together and re-inforced - all will be good by PM today

You'll be pleased to know that the layout board manufacturer has been in and solved the problem with the boards - PU glue and a couple of wood dowels and all is well again. Sometime this week the highway side needs to be widened to at least two lanes, and thought given to how to make it with inset track.

In the meantime another idea is circulating - inspired by a certain Mr Nick Palette, who found a plan in a German Publication, that bears a remarkable resemblance to my earlier Box Street, but with a variation in the design that allows a pair of hidden sidings - This is not something that I had thought of at all. Needless to say this is attracting my attention also. 3 turnouts and a double slip (Yes I know they are rare in USA, but for shortline modellers in small spaces......... 2 metres x 40 centimetres ....... Temptation!)

Jack, Shortliner,

your project looks nice.

Yes a double slip isn't common in USA but it's possible to find in small areas where the place is tight! So why not...

The main goal is to have fun when you operate.

The contrast of the green little diesel and the BIG wood chip cars is nice.

Archived