RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

An ex.GWR snow-plough-fitted 2251 0-6-0 was  sent to Llandudno Junction for such work, but I wonder if it ever traversed the line most in need of snow clearance, namely the Conway Valley line to Blaenau Ffestiniog. 

We probably forget that a number of Austerity 2-8-0's carried snow plough's all year round. I saw them on lines around Oldham and over the Pennines.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

At that lovely price, it's time to buy a couple more and get on with a renumbering exercise.  A fleet of Dean Goods!

If you looked in Bargain Hunters you would have noticed I posted Ian Allan in Birmingham who have(had) them at £70

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

At that lovely price, it's time to buy a couple more and get on with a renumbering exercise.  A fleet of Dean Goods!

Have a look at the March issue of 'Model Rail' and see what CJL has done with one - brilliant stuff and the sort of railway modelling many of us who are old enough remember from the past.

• Like 3

I got an email 6 hours ago informing me the latest bite to my credit card had just been taken, mind you I have only been waiting for a year for it to happen.

Which era is this colour scheme ie. what years does it cover ?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30371/oxford-rail-or76dg001-oo-gauge-dean-goods-2309-gwr

Roughly you are looking at between 1906 and the beginning of the First World War, after then liveries became more simplified to save on costs and resources, during the war repainting was kept to a minimum and after that lining was reseved mainly for express passenger locomotives, the Garter on the tender lasted up until the mid to late 1920’s.

Which era is this colour scheme ie. what years does it cover ?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30371/oxford-rail-or76dg001-oo-gauge-dean-goods-2309-gwr

It depends if this bothers you, but this model has a top feed which adds a limit to the colour scheme dates as they only began to be fitted in the immediate pre WW! years, approx 1913.

Mike Wiltshire

It depends if this bothers you, but this model has a top feed which adds a limit to the colour scheme dates as they only began to be fitted in the immediate pre WW! years, approx 1913.

Mike Wiltshire

A real minefield : model railways is not for pedants !

Edited by brian777999

That reminds me to ask a question that has been rattling in the back of my head: when and how did the simplification of livery during the war take place? (Okay, that's two questions.)

Was the decision taken upon declaration of war or sometime later, when the prospect for a short conflict had vanished?

That reminds me to ask a question that has been rattling in the back of my head: when and how did the simplification of livery during the war take place? (Okay, that's two questions.)

Was the decision taken upon declaration of war or sometime later, when the prospect for a short conflict had vanished?

Lining of some, perhaps many, DGs ceased as early as 1904/5.

That is my understanding yes. Oxford's 2309 is as historically accurate as an American war movie. 

Then why on Earth did they produce it ? Surely they research this sort of thing before it even gets to the earliest stage of design/planning ?

Then why on Earth did they produce it ? Surely they research this sort of thing before it even gets to the earliest stage of design/planning ?

We've now reached 67 pages on the subject of this Dean Goods, much (most?) of it covering it's inaccuracies, and you're asking the question now? :scratchhead:  

Because it looks pretty.

Oxford seemed unaware that the Dean goods had two different footplate widths which also had detail differences. Add to that the variation in cabs and a myriad of other differences.

I know some bemoan the fact that GWR modellers are a bunch of pedants, but all of this information was readily available.

regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

One good thing about the distress sale of the Angry Caterpillar is I will be able to pick one up for the Dolgellau layout at a price that suits our resources.

And hand it to our resident GWR expert modeller and detailer in chief to repaint into something more sensible.

Fortunately Joe and Joanna Numpty and the Little Numpties who come to see our exhibition wouldn't know if the cab is correct and most certainly won't spot the washout plugs in the wrong place so I think we're safe on that count, and if I can pick up a noisy one at a fire-sale price all the better. They love to hear noise, the more the train toots (or clangs in the case of the auto-coach) the more donations we get.

On a serious note, I must admit I was surprised to see the pictures of the plain green Dean on Hattons today, which seemed to, dare I mention it, look as if they had done something to the cab cut out to correct the problems highlighted on here?

Went out with indian red frames, then?

More a sort of coincidence, in my view. The red to black change was policy, whereas the cessation of lining for non-express passenger locos and goods locos was more adhoc and reflected the constraints of Swindon's resources - improve them mechanically, get 'em out and get them running earning some money was the priority, and besides which, there was always a string of further locos earmarked for alterations and updates. The works were very busy, and outgoing locos didn't have to look pretty. Pretty was so 1890s...
Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2