The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

This weeks video is another look at the K Class build, I know I said there would be other videos, but I'm rather enjoying this build (I hope you are too!)

We finish the chassis this week, and the video even includes some super fast building, with a nice musical accompaniment!!

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is upon us!! and we are getting ready to continue the Wills SE&CR D Class!

but before we do that I will be live tonight with @Lancaster622 on his YouTube channel! Coming live from my workbench!! Join us at 9pm (UK)

Hope to see you there!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFYXr9PzST4yoMjNH0Sw8KQ/live

Gary back in the 70s and 80s I could build then quite quickly but I could never get them to run that well. No sure if it was me or the kits..... 

I always find the best thing to do is to try and detail these "older kits" and try and turn them into something more comparable to today's models..

Keep up the good work 

Martin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Martin.M said:

Gary back in the 70s and 80s I could build then quite quickly but I could never get them to run that well. No sure if it was me or the kits..... 

Martin

I had the same problem and I rather think it was as much to do with the kits as it was my ineptitude.  It caused me to give up on EM and go to a more detailed world of H0 for 30 years.

Today with things like the Poppy chassis jig, I am now returning to some of the kits that have lain in store for that time - but in 00 rather than EM.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Martin.M said:

I always find the best thing to do is to try and detail these "older kits" and try and turn them into something more comparable to today's models..

Keep up the good work 

Martin

So far the builds seem good, but they haven't done much running to be fair, although I'm not trying to make them P4, so it's much easier!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the weekend! and baring any major issues we should FINISH the build of the Wills SE&CR D Class kit!! Come join us tomorrow at 9pm (UK) to see how we get on!

I will return with the link tomorrow! In the meantime I shall leave the review of last weeks stream, I hope you enjoy!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's time for another video!! and a final visit to the LB&SCR K Class by K's. I seem to have accidentally made James the Red Engine!! but it looks great, and is a livery that is both different to my other stock, and one that isn't seen often, so I am very happy with it!!

I have put a short tutorial on applying pressfix transfers in the video as well!

Hope you enjoy!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So it's time for a real post on RMWeb, and not another video promotion!! I know it's shocking!!

For those that can remember back when I did post layout stuff regularly, you may remember that the layout was in need of a lot of repair work, and extra detailing, this is something I spent a lot of time thinking about, there are quite a lot of bits of track that need replacing, there are cracks in the ballast where the boards have moved. and there are quite a few other problems.

So with that in mind, I looked at other things I could do to improve the layout, and ended up with the idea that the layout may have come to the end of it's life, and started planning a replacement. I have started seriously considering this recently, and have come up with a new track plan.

This has a few advantages over the existing one namely, 6" thinner boards, allowing me to have some extra living room space, the layout reversed, meaning the fiddle yard is at the same end as the layout controls, a goods yard that will be more entertaining to play with (5x3x3 inglenook, as opposed to a few random sidings), other than that it has the same features as the existing layout, and for the most part, will make use of existing buildings.

A few people have already seen this and provided feedback, and changes have been made, I'd love to hear the thoughts of the wider community, but do keep in mind that it may be some time before I can actually start work on this.

Gary

1322648840_OakHillMk2.PNG.edb4ce70be0ddaff2b105a5096eee403.PNG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just a suggestion: lead the shed road off the loop and move the point at the entrance to the loop to the position currently occupied by the shed road point. This will (a) help satisfy the BoT Inspector and (b), with the loop significantly longer than your longest train, give a greater air of spaciousness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Just a suggestion: lead the shed road off the loop and move the point at the entrance to the loop to the position currently occupied by the shed road point. This will (a) help satisfy the BoT Inspector and (b), with the loop significantly longer than your longest train, give a greater air of spaciousness.

This is where I make a fool of myself as I have probably not understood what you have said.  The shed road point, and I assume you mean the loco shed, is in the strange position of feeding the fiddle yard when set and is in the opposite direction to how you would want it for the loop, unless you put a double slip in there.  Have I got it all wrong?

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

This is where I make a fool of myself as I have probably not understood what you have said.  The shed road point, and I assume you mean the loco shed, is in the strange position of feeding the fiddle yard when set and is in the opposite direction to how you would want it for the loop, unless you put a double slip in there.  Have I got it all wrong?

Think of turning the shed road point round so that its toe faces the fiddle yard; it then becomes the entrance point to the loop. Remove the existing entrance point to the loop. Result: longer loop. Now connect the shed road to the loop.

The ideal single-line BLT layout is one where the only facing point traversed by a passenger train is the entrance point to the loop, for a terminating train; a departing train sees no facing points.

A picture is worth 1,000 words but not at the speed my scanner works at...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

@Compound2632 Something like this?

749248501_OakHillMk2v2.PNG.580531b99a6e6b3768b1b70ab763d5e9.PNG

Gary,

I was not sure you could get your top siding in with this arrangement, but obviously you can.

Question, would the BoT be happy with you marshalling your outgoing goods in the platform road?  If not you have a nice shunting puzzle every  time a pick up goods leaves.

There is a picture of a Station master talking to the Shed Foreman at one of the Cambrian Stations in GWR days.  They have three or four locos on one or two lines and they appear to be discussing how on earth they get them out.  A real life shunting puzzle.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that it would be normal for all arrivals, passenger and goods, to be into the platform road. For goods trains, the engine would run round, detach and park the brake van up against the buffer stops, then draw the wagons out for shunting. The outgoing train would be made up against the brake van and in due course leave from the platform line. This would all happen early afternoon, in the long break between passenger trains. But this relies on the goods sidings being the other way round, so they can be shunted from the arrival line or possibly the loop with the engine at the departure end and on the passenger service being infrequent. The presence of the two-road engine shed hints that that may not be the case, in which case I'm not quite sure if a single platform face would be sufficient.

How were real LBSC branch line termini laid out?

As always, Rule 1 applies. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you must have the goods sidings that way round, how about a double slip in place of the toe-to-toe points, giving a longer headshunt, and an asymmetric three-way in there as well. Much more period atmosphere.

Sorry, you must have seen how very dangerous it is to post a proposed track plan on RMWeb!

• Like 1