The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

The plan is once I dismantle the chassis I should be able to cut the front along the dotted line shown below, this will remove most of what in the space under the boiler, with just a small bit of the motor protruding in front of the tanks.

attachicon.gif2017-06-29 17.18.44.jpg

Once this is done I can cut out the under boiler space on the body and construct a false body as I have done previously with the Tri-anf 3F's. I will then fill the boiler / smokebox area with lead to replace the weight that I have removed but cutting the chassis.

Gary

That should do it!

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

[Off topic] Gary I wanted some advice from our resident LB&SCR guru. :)

We just got into the shop a OO model of a B1 class (not sure if it is kitbuilt or scratchbuilt) and I think it looks good, plus it runs fine. The only thing wrong with it, that I know of, is one of the tender steps is missing.

I wanted to know if you think it looks any good/accurate, or whether you think I should avoid it?

post-29937-0-70818500-1499444004_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the terrible picture, it was done in a hurry :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Alex,

I would guess that it is the GEM kit, and if you don't take it home you should put it in a box for me!!!

Honestly, if I could have afforded the GEM kit when I started mine then I never would have scratch built one. Take it home and love it!! (or send it to me, seriously PM me if you don't want it)

Gary

Also I'm flattered that I should be considered an LB&SCR Guru, there are people on this forum much better at it than me!! Hopefully one day I shall be up to similar standards of both knowledge and modelling as them!!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Thanks for that Gary.

I did not know if anyone did the B1 in kit form, so you are most likely right about it being GEM. I have it put on one side and will get next Friday as it sounds kosher. :)

Then I will have to decide if I leave it as it or repainting into LB&SC livery. ;)

But if I do end up not doing anything with it, I would definitely look at finding her a new home. Somewhere like, oooh I don't know....Hailsham?

Alex

Edit: And I will try to get some better pics of her when she is safely home.

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a good plan Alex, and although mine is in IEG I do think they look very smart in Brighton Umber :wink_mini:

If she does ever need a new home then Hailsham sounds like a lovely place!!

I will look forward to seeing some more pics of her.

Gary

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

I always remember the first time I saw Gladstone as a young boy at the NRM.....I fell in love! Such an impressive loco, in such a beautiful livery. It just oozed presence and class.

Locos like Gladstone, Hardwicke and the Midland Compound are what instilled a love of all things pre-grouping in me from such a young age. :)

Alex

• Like 5

We just got into the shop a OO model of a B1 class (not sure if it is kitbuilt or scratchbuilt) and I think it looks good, plus it runs fine. The only thing wrong with it, that I know of, is one of the tender steps is missing.

I wanted to know if you think it looks any good/accurate, or whether you think I should avoid it?

attachicon.gifLBSCR B1.JPG

Alex

Alex

If the loco is built in whitemetal, then Gary is almost certainly correct. The Gem Gladstone dates back to the 1960s(?) and is not a bad model for that vintage. If it is brass, then it is either scratch built or an Albion kit. The thickness of the Salter balances and the tender coping suggest whitemetal and therefore Gem.

I had one that got converted into a Richmond - a slightly smaller diameter boiler and shorter firebox.

post-9472-0-21535000-1499457517_thumb.jpg

​Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm flattered that I should be considered an LB&SCR Guru, there are people on this forum much better at it than me!! Hopefully one day I shall be up to similar standards of both knowledge and modelling as them!!

Alex

If the loco is built in whitemetal, then Gary is almost certainly correct. The Gem Gladstone dates back to the 1960s(?) and is not a bad model for that vintage. If it is brass, then it is either scratch built or an Albion kit. The thickness of the Salter balances and the tender coping suggest whitemetal and therefore Gem.

I had one that got converted into a Richmond - a slightly smaller diameter boiler and shorter firebox.

attachicon.gifP1010061.JPG

​Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

Told Ya!! I forgot there even was an Albion kit of the B1!!

Gary

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Alex

​Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

From the feel of the loco, it is definitely whitemetal. And you are right about it looking good for it's age if the kit is that old.

Your loco is stunning, really impressive. I think I do prefer the IEG to the Umber livery (although I still hope Bachmann do the H2 in Umber one day). :)

Alex

• Like 2

From the feel of the loco, it is definitely whitemetal. And you are right about it looking good for it's age if the kit is that old.

Your loco is stunning, really impressive. I think I do prefer the IEG to the Umber livery (although I still hope Bachmann do the H2 in Umber one day). :)

Alex

The seem to have tooled for the 'as built' condition, so why not drop them a line and ask when we'll see it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you are right Matt, and it annoys me that I will probably have to join the collectors club to get the LBSC model!! I have already cleared it with the misses that I can so it's not a problem but I am not interested in anything else from the collectors club, and I would not be joining it otherwise. That means for me I will be paying a £29 premium to be allowed to buy the model. So unless it is at a reduced rate from the standard model it will be quite an expensive purchase!!

Gary

Hi Gary....

You also get a Wagon.....and four quite informative magazines as well....good quality too! Also a good callender (The last few have been paintings of trains...), also the Bachmann catalogue as well.....

So, not such a bad bargain?

I joined for the Bachmann history series of articles, fitting nem pockets to rolling stock series, and the POOL tank wagon was the wagon of the year....still signed up, so I now have a couple of tank wagons, and a Horlicks PO Open Wagon....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sarah,

I have the POOL tank wagon! I found it in the model shop for a tenner so thought I had best take it home. If the wagon on offer when I join is able to be used on either Oak Hill or Hailsham then yes that would be a bonus and sweeten the deal a bit! And the Calender will get used as well, especially if it has trains on it!!

However with over 200 MRJ's to work through I don't think I have time for any more reading material!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Like 3

If joining the Collectors' Club is the supplement for a LB&SCR Atlantic, I'll happily subscribe.

Quite a choice.  IIRC some went into service in undercoat.  One went into service in lined photographic grey.

Imagine that; a brace of these, one in grey and one in umber!l

• Like 4

And here's me modelling pre-grouping because its colourful!! Now I need 3 locos in grey!!

Gary

Oh, I don't know.  For me variety is as important as colour, and there are quite a number of shades of grey, apparently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've heard is somewhere in the high 40's, I could be a few out though!!

I was discussing this with my brother earlier. He says modelling this early all my locos should be grey as that's what you see in the photos!!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've heard is somewhere in the high 40's, I could be a few out though!!

I was discussing this with my brother earlier. He says modelling this early all my locos should be grey as that's what you see in the photos!!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

Burntisland 1883 was at the Warley show the other year. I commented that although all the North British engines were green, no two were the same shade. The gentleman with whom I was speaking admitted that this was because (a) this was how things had been and (b) no-one was really sure. But then he did admit to being primarily a Caledonian enthusiast...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A bit like my locos then!! I have 2 shades of Brighton Umber, 3 shades of IEG and 2 shades of SECR green on the layout!! Although the odd one out of the SECR will get repainted to match at some point!!

Gary

• Like 4

........... But then he did admit to being primarily a Caledonian enthusiast...

And let's not get into discussing CR blue!!  (I've a good idea who that gentleman might have been)

Jim

• Like 2