Carriage Scratchbuiler Wanted.

Larry doesn't do scratchbuilding.  If I may suggest, (assuming you have drawings and photographs of your intended prototype and Bill Bedford doesn't already cover it) what about asking someone like Allen Dohety at Worsley Works to etch up a part kit or major components?

Two advantages to that - firstly, if you want any more they'll still be available from Allen and secondly you're much more likely to find someone to build up the resultant parts.  t-b-g of this parish published an MRJ article on building some 4 wheelers (were they NSR) from Allen's etches some time ago, so he clearly does that kind of work for a start.

I haven't had anything from Allen for a while but his rates were always very reasonable.  No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

• RMweb Premium

I still think more details would be helpful from the OP.  It would help establish if there are any published and reasonable drawings available of the prototype as a starting point.  If not then I guess it is going to be down to someone with a set of personal drawings from whichever source.

Pre-grouping could cover almost anything from London and Birmingham 1840s coaches ( I do have one perhaps dubious drawing) to say GCR Barnham coaches - various sources. 

Good evening.

Thanks for the replies.  I should have been more specific! The carriages are the ones that ran in the original Royal Scotsman train. One is an ex Caledonian Railway observation carriage, one is an LNWR clerestory kitchen carriage and the last is a GNR teak family saloon. I have a drawing for the GNR carriage but none for the other two. I do however have detailed photos of all three carriages from when I worked on them at Crewe. Hopefully this information will be useful. I have searched the internet, but not found an ideal scratchbuilder to take on an awkward one off prototype.

Cheers,

Rick

Your best bet might be to look at drawing and cutting out on a silhouette cameo cutter. A talk with Andy "uax6" of this parrish who has a passion for LNWR dinning and kitchen cars and coach drawing in general might help. I'm not suggesting he could/would do it but he might be able to give you some advice in directions you hadn't thought of.

Don't be put off I've taught my self to use the drawing program Ink scape and have found that its opened up possibility I hadn't thought of before.

Steve

Archived