• RMweb Gold

They mark the course of the enceinte wall, so I know where to put it in due course.

No mystic druidical sacrifices.  Just the Norman Yoke.

enceinte de ? mois  = ? months pregnant - so you knew where to put it! Just where did the Norman Yoke come into play?

• RMweb Premium

enceinte de ? mois  = ? months pregnant - so you knew where to put it! Just where did the Norman Yoke come into play?

The French enceinte is in this sense roughly equivalent to the obsolete English sense of confined as pregnant and therefore not let out of the house. The enceinte wall is thus the outer wall of the castle, confining the occupants.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

The French enceinte is in this sense roughly equivalent to the obsolete English sense of confined as pregnant and therefore not let out of the house. The enceinte wall is thus the outer wall of the castle, confining the occupants.

Enceinte as in an enclosure or the enclosing wall of a fortified place

I was trying to think of the phrase 'curtain wall', but it was eluding me.

Anyway, in this instance it's the wall that goes around the base of the mound, or Motte, enclosing the inner Bailey.

CA's Bailey street follows its course.

There was an outer bailey, one of the gates to which spans Bailey Street on the model.  Most of the outer bailey wall has now gone, but I have plans to introduce at least one other remnant.

• Like 4

You're pushing the boundaries there... The curtain wall BLOCKS the view.

Agree, he's digging a (rather long) hole for himself, there.

Interestingly, I found an illustration of the first Lord Erstwhile inspecting the newly installed Ha-Ha wall at Aching Hall.  He is thinking "how do I get at the bl00dy deer now?".  The deer are thinking "ha-ha!".

post-25673-0-63994600-1492532427_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-06567600-1492532466.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10

There is a sort of ha-ha-aaaaagh! One of which I saw at an old house yesterday. It is a ha-ha, but extended upwards to form a wall just high enough to trip over and break your neck. It works as a very clever perspective trick, to make the garden appear a lot bigger ....... the eye sees an 18" high wall as maybe 6ft, but further away.

K

• Like 4

Just where did the Norman Yoke come into play?

And so the English groaned aloud for their lost liberty and plotted ceaselessly to find some way of shaking off a yoke that was so intolerable and unaccustomed.

Ordericus Vitalis 

O what mighty Delusion, do you, who are the powers of England live in! That while you pretend to throw down that Norman yoke, and Babylonish power, and have promised to make the groaning people of England a Free People; yet you still lift up that Norman yoke, and slavish Tyranny, and holds the People as much in bondage, as the Bastard Conquerour himself, and his Councel of War.

The True Levellers Standard Advanced, Gerrard Winstanley

Norman saw on English oak,

On English neck a Norman yoke;

Norman spoon in English dish,

And England ruled as Normans wish.

Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

It became a tenet of English radicalism that Saxon England had been free, prior to the imposition of feudalism by the Norman invader.

• Like 4

...It became a tenet of English radicalism that Saxon England had been free, prior to the imposition of feudalism by the Norman invader.

Oi - this is Norfolk. That will be "Anglo-Saxon England" to you. And note the word order!

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But then the Angles would feature twice.

Anglo Saxon Angleland

Whatever happened to the Jutes anyway?  They only seem to feature as garden twine these days.

But then the Angles would feature twice.

Anglo Saxon Angleland

Whatever happened to the Jutes anyway? They only seem to feature as garden twine these days.

Nothing wrong with the Angles featuring twice.

The Jutes went to Kent. Nuff said.

Paul

• Like 1

Oi - this is Norfolk. That will be "Anglo-Saxon England" to you. And note the word order!

And I thought the English Civil War was over years ago! (though I am aware that hostilities between two counties in the north are liable to break out from time to time.)

Jim

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the Angles featuring twice.

The Jutes went to Kent. Nuff said.

Paul

Hmm, a Kentish branchline for the forthcoming Hornby H Class to wander along ...  With the terminus in the quaint country town of Nufsedde in the Hundred of Juteland.

And I thought the English Civil War was over years ago! (though I am aware that hostilities between two counties in the north are liable to break out from time to time.)

Jim

Don't ... I'm on the frontline when Yorkshire invades the rest of the north of England.

If you rely on linguistic clues, "the Anglo-saxons" probably came mainly from the Frisian islands, which is logical, given their proximitmity, and their immense similarity to the coasts of Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, and Sussex.

Good to see Winstanley get an airing.

K

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

O what mighty Delusion, do you, who are the powers of England live in! That while you pretend to throw down that Norman yoke, and Babylonish power, and have promised to make the groaning people of England a Free People; yet you still lift up that Norman yoke, and slavish Tyranny, and holds the People as much in bondage, as the Bastard Conquerour himself, and his Councel of War.

The True Levellers Standard Advanced, Gerrard Winstanley

O dear that's dangerously close to being highly relevant to our current political situation - better ease off before the Mods move in on us. Better still, divert their attention with a few more home-made explosions...

• Like 1

Yes, probably best left alone, because it is possible to draw parallels between the Norman Oppressors and at least two, currently viewed as diametrically opposite, institutions ........ it's an insult that is almost as flexible in its applicability as the comparison with AH.

K

• Like 2

O dear that's dangerously close to being highly relevant to our current political situation - better ease off before the Mods move in on us. Better still, divert their attention with a few more home-made explosions...

Well, the Norman's were a violent invading force who undertook a campaign of murder and expropriation after the invasion that was genocidal in places (e.g. the Harrying of the North), and effectively liquidated the governing class of Anglo-Saxon society in a way reminiscent of a violent authoritarian regime of modern times. 

Whoever your political bete noir, be it the faceless unelected bureaucrats of Brussels, or the authoritarian hard-Brexiting government of Theresa May, or the assorted remoaners whom the forthcoming election is intended to silence, I don't think they compare with the Normans in terms of people you don't want to find yourselves involuntarily ruled by.   

The Levellers were a radical group who went well beyond the original 'war-aims' of the Civil War and were eventually suppressed by the Parliamentarian authorities, so, essentially, they disagreed with everyone else.  While, again, I suggest both King Charles and the Parliamentarians represented harsher regimes from the point of view of their opponents than anything in Britain since, probably neither were so utterly savage as the Normans.    

So, there was certainly no intention to court any analogy with the current UK political situation, which, whilst interesting in the proverbial Chinese sense of that word, probably does not stand comparison with the extreme violence and oppression of the Norman Conquest or the Civil War!

Just a thought ... !

EDIT: Solecism corrected

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Well, the Norman's were a violent invading force who undertook a campaign of murder and expropriation after the invasion that was genocidal in places (e.g. the Harrowing of the North), and effectively liquidated the governing class of Anglo-Saxon society in a way reminiscent of a violent authoritarian regime of modern times. 

Whoever your political bete noir, be it the faceless unelected bureaucrats of Brussels, or the authoritarian hard-Brexiting government of Theresa May, or the assorted remoaners whom the forthcoming election is intended to silence, I don't think they compare with the Normans in terms of people you don't want to find yourselves involuntarily ruled by.   

The Levellers were a radical group who went well beyond the original 'war-aims' of the Civil War and were eventually suppressed by the Parliamentarian authorities, so, essentially, they disagreed with everyone else.  While, again, I suggest both King Charles and the Parliamentarians represented harsher regimes from the point of view of their opponents than anything in Britain since, probably neither were so utterly savage as the Normans.    

So, there was certainly no intention to court any analogy with the current UK political situation, which, whilst interesting in the proverbial Chinese sense of that word, probably does not stand comparison with the extreme violence and oppression of the Norman Conquest or the Civil War!

Just a thought ... !

The Tories under Maggie came close to the Normans with trying to eliminate the miners and Poll Tax protesters!

• RMweb Gold

Well, the Norman's were a violent invading force who undertook a campaign of murder and expropriation after the invasion that was genocidal in places (e.g. the Harrowing of the North), and effectively liquidated the governing class of Anglo-Saxon society in a way reminiscent of a violent authoritarian regime of modern times. 

Just a thought ... !

Slight correction.  It was the harrying of the north.  Harrowing implies a different approach and perhaps extra thoroughness in this context. :jester:

Slight correction.  It was the harrying of the north.  Harrowing implies a different approach and perhaps extra thoroughness in this context. :jester:

Ha, got me there!  And I thought I'd done quite well for an extempore response.  Must make more of an effort to master the English language; it's course scale-gate all over again [sigh] !

• Like 3