• RMweb Premium

Ha, got me there!  And I thought I'd done quite well for an extempore response.  Must make more of an effort to master the English language; it's course scale-gate all over again [sigh] !

But having seen your buildings I believe your courses are to scale...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you rely on linguistic clues, "the Anglo-saxons" probably came mainly from the Frisian islands, which is logical, given their proximitmity, and their immense similarity to the coasts of Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, and Sussex.

Good to see Winstanley get an airing.

K

My understanding is that the Angles were from the Frisian islands and nearby coast, the saxons from further inland and the jutes from Jutland, i.e. what is now the border area of Germany and Denmark and further north bordering on the lands of the Danes.

Since they had lived close to each other for some time, their language and accents must have been similar.

I remember going to NW Germany on school exchange visits.  My penfriend's parents grew up speaking Alt Deutch which had quite a few similarities with English, e.g. salt und pepper rather than modern German saltz und pfeffer.

My understanding is that the Angles were from the Frisian islands and nearby coast, the saxons from further inland and the jutes from Jutland, i.e. what is now the border area of Germany and Denmark and further north bordering on the lands of the Danes.

Since they had lived close to each other for some time, their language and accents must have been similar.

I remember going to NW Germany on school exchange visits.  My penfriend's parents grew up speaking Alt Deutch which had quite a few similarities with English, e.g. salt und pepper rather than modern German saltz und pfeffer.

I remember going to the South East of England and finding that many people said "yah" and drove BMWs, so I guess there is still a shared language and culture with Germany ...

Hat  ... coat ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oi - this is Norfolk. That will be "Anglo-Saxon England" to you. And note the word order!

Paul

Is this the same Norfolk where half the villages have Viking names, and probably Viking inhabitants?  (Sorry  :jester: )

• Like 4

Is this the same Norfolk where half the villages have Viking names, and probably Viking inhabitants?  (Sorry  :jester: )

My mother is a Viking.

I grew up on what is reckoned to be the borders of Danegeld.  There was no defined border, and Danish and Anglo-Saxon villages were mixed in the area.  I grew up in a village with an Anglo-Saxon name.  Two miles away was the neighbouring village, a Viking 'by' village.  Even in the 1970s the neighbouring villagers spoke with a noticeably different accent and were considered foreigners. 

Whether this gets you any further than an example of the extreme and extremely localised insularity of traditional rural England I leave you to judge ...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, when they did a DNA survey of GB, there were villages in Cumbria that showed British (Welsh) inheritance, and in the next valley villages that showed Viking Scandinavian inheritance.

I would bet if these days you could find enough genuinely local people to do the same anywhere in the country you'd get the same results.

Me, my surname indicates Scottish immediate inheritance but that leads to Normandy and therefore more Vikings...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I remember going to the South East of England and finding that many people said "yah" and drove BMWs, so I guess there is still a shared language and culture with Germany ...

Hat  ... coat ...

I'll have you know as someone who lives in the South East of England in a Saxon town (recorded in the doomsday book as Hamelesham) with a Saxon surname (c. 7th century, meaning Champion) I neither say "yah" or drive a BMW, nor would I care to be seen in one at all for that matter!

Gary

(Not a serious complaint, note that I marked Edwardian's comment as funny!!)

• Like 4

I'll have you know as someone who lives in the South East of England in a Saxon town (recorded in the doomsday book as Hamelesham) with a Saxon surname (c. 7th century, meaning Champion) I neither say "yah" or drive a BMW, nor would I care to be seen in one at all for that matter!

Gary

(Not a serious complaint, note that I marked Edwardian's comment as funny!!)

Well I live within whippet-chucking distance of the Yorkshire border (and am half Yorkshire by blood), and yet I have never said "ee-by-'eckerslike", so that only goes to show ...

Are you sure you don't live in an Anglo-Saxon town?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

"Scuse us, chorley guy! You tollerday donsk? N. You tolkatiff scowegian? Nn. You spigotty anglease? Nnn. You phonio saxo? Nnnn. Clear all so! 'Tis a Jute."

Finnegan's Wake, James Joyce.

Hopefully that clears up the mystery of the Jutes.

• Like 2

Nope no angles here in the sunny Kingdom of South Saxon :P

Gary

Just curves, then.

"Scuse us, chorley guy! You tollerday donsk? N. You tolkatiff scowegian? Nn. You spigotty anglease? Nnn. You phonio saxo? Nnnn. Clear all so! 'Tis a Jute."

Finnegan's Wake, James Joyce.

So they went to Lancashire?

Fancy.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, when they did a DNA survey of GB, there were villages in Cumbria that showed British (Welsh) inheritance, and in the next valley villages that showed Viking Scandinavian inheritance.

I would bet if these days you could find enough genuinely local people to do the same anywhere in the country you'd get the same results.

Me, my surname indicates Scottish immediate inheritance but that leads to Normandy and therefore more Vikings...

I am convinced, well sort of, that the attitude of 'you are not a local unless you have lived here 8 generations' has a lot to do with the fact that the next village might actually have been a different nationality as well as just living in a different place.

I was always taught that jute was one of the three 'J's' for which Dundee was famous.  The other two being jam and journalism.

Jim  (A lifelong Oor Wullie and Broons fan)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My wife has developed tendon problems in the palm of her hand causing a finger to curl over,released by surgery on tendon. This condition known as Dupuytrens syndrome. Doctor told her it was a condition inherited from people of Viking bloodline, and I'm afraid to say I make sure this isn't forgotten.

• Like 3

A PS regarding the Norman Conquest ......

The Norman fleet eventually departed from St Valery sur Somme, which has an interesting Harbour, and an absolutely excellent metre gauge steam railway.

A long time ago, a pal and I got decidedly mellow there, on the strength of homemade cider, sold to us from a trestle table in the station yard by a farmer's daughter, who was decidedly attractive when she sold us the first bottle, and the cause of a near falling-out (more of a falling-over, really) between us after the third or fourth, by which time we had both (unknown to the other) proposed (exactly what I can't remember) to her.

With the help of her mother, and the gift of a sheep's cheese for each of us, the young lady consigned us to the mainline junction, where we promptly fell asleep in the ticket hall, and had to be shoved up the steps onto the train back to Calais by the booking clerk.

By way of excuse, we were already fairly mellow, before the cider, because a couple of old mettys at the loco shed had given us calvados for breakfast, on top of being awake all night, and walking about ten miles to get there.

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A PS regarding the Norman Conquest ......

The Norman fleet eventually departed from St Valery sur Somme, which has an interesting Harbour, and an absolutely excellent metre gauge steam railway.

A long time ago, a pal and I got decidedly mellow there, on the strength of homemade cider, sold to us from a trestle table in the station yard by a farmer's daughter, who was decidedly attractive when she sold us the first bottle, and the cause of a near falling-out (more of a falling-over, really) between us after the third or fourth, by which time we had both (unknown to the other) proposed (exactly what I can't remember) to her.

With the help of her mother, and the gift of a sheep's cheese for each of us, the young lady consigned us to the mainline junction, where we promptly fell asleep in the ticket hall, and had to be shoved up the steps onto the train back to Calais by the booking clerk.

By way of excuse, we were already fairly mellow, before the cider, because a couple of old mettys at the loco shed had given us calvados for breakfast, on top of being awake all night, and walking about ten miles to get there.

Kevin

"Le trou Normand". It was administered every day when I was staying as an exchange student on a farm between Rouen and Dieppe. They too made their own cider. I also learned how to drive a tractor while I was there - all at the ripe old age of 13.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The Tories under Maggie came close to the Normans with trying to eliminate the miners and Poll Tax protesters!

You think so. Under Norman rule we became Serfs not freemen. I don't think Maggie intended going quite that far although most governments do like to see the working class kept working.

You may also consider the Miners were being encouraged to strike in a attempt to best the government in which case some resistance to that could be considered necessary. I think there was faults on both sides.

Don