RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Its interesting how there appears to be more interest in vintage fashions these days, is it because modern fashions are nothing but lazy? I'm not really one to talk as I'm either dressed as an orange, or to be found in jeans, t-shirt and jumper, but I do wish I had the nerve to wear a pair of proper trousers, a shirt and a jacket, but unfortunately I'm not very good at wearing these sorts of things, although I found my wedding suite was very comfortable and fitted nicely (and had an orange lining!), I tend to be worn by the suit, not the other way round.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry, I drive a Morris minor, so to me vintage means pre moggy thous...

I do think that everyone used to dress so much better in the old days than we do now.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Oh, an age of innocence... I suppose for me that'd be pre 2008. Crikey, I'm only just turning twenty. That's a terrifying thought- I feel more mature, in many respects. Not older, but mature.

Ms Agutter is just making me wish I could invest more in my vintage wardrobe- those hats are amazing, and that sailor dress? They're not just the stuff of boys' dreams, I tell you. I'll have to settle for 1940s and 50s fashions for now.

I suppose I just need to start appearing in more period dramas in order to fulfill my period costume desires. Oh for a chance to wear a full bustle and 1870s day dress... Saying that, Edwardian young persons' fashion was also fabulous. Everything a miniature version of their parents', but somehow it looks fantastically adorable.

- Alexandra

When my daughter was in primary school her class did a project on the Victorians. She asked my mother what it was like to wear a crinoline...

• RMweb Premium

Edwardian clothes, both male and female, are particularly elegant.

Believe it or not, in my undergraduate days, I was one of what were known then as 'Young Fogies'.  To this day, my conception of how gentlemen should dress is somewhat early Twentieth Century! 

Alas, I am rather too old and fat for dressing up these days, but you go for it! 

Yet, there is still a part of me that yearns to go on the run to Scotland in a tweed suite ('heather mixture'), having successfully evaded both The Law and Agents of a Foreign Power by disguising myself as a milkman, I reach King's Cross and then take the Flying Scotsman north ...

Must be time for my medication.  Never mind ...

Wrong station, my dear fellow.

"St George for England, St Pancras for Scotland".

It always seems to me that fashions are suited to the young most look better on a young figure and they seem less bothered about looking unusual.  Well the very old may not bother bout looking unusual but not often with any style.

Don

Sad, but true ...

I'm not really one to talk as I'm either dressed as an orange ....

Andy G

Deeply concerning ...

It's that extra hand in the mirror ...

Yes, I noticed that.

Perhaps it was a screen-test with Harvey Weinstein?

Wrong station, my dear fellow.

"St George for England, St Pancras for Scotland".

And "Paddington for Bears", or, indeed, Cumbria, on the evidence of Paddington 2.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My Dear Chaps,

Being of Scottish decent I shall be correctly attired as we go out for dinner on Saturday. 

Black Argyle jacket, White shirt, Club Tie, 8 yard Dress Stewart woollen Kilt, matching hose, appropriate Sporran and highly polished Brogues.

One must do these things properly....

What passes for Highland dress, is a development over the last 200 years-ish and became settled in it's current styles in the 1920's but was almost there in 1903.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Certainly Not, the Braveheart film is One 100% film error.

At the time of William Wallace,

The Kilt hadn't been invented yet,

Face paint hadn't been worn for over a 1000 Years

Wallace means Welshman,

The French Princess he was supposed to have had fun with hadn't left France at the time.

He certainly didn't cry freedom after having his bits cut off and his guts pulled out.

He wasn't an Australian American.

And he wasn't Braveheart, that was Robert the Bruce.. who W.W. fought against.

• Like 4

Certainly Not, the Braveheart film is One 100% film error.

At the time of William Wallace,

The Kilt hadn't been invented yet,

Face paint hadn't been worn for over a 1000 Years

Wallace means Welshman,

The French Princess he was supposed to have had fun with hadn't left France at the time.

He certainly didn't cry freedom after having his bits cut off and his guts pulled out.

He wasn't an Australian American.

And he wasn't Braveheart, that was Robert the Bruce.. who W.W. fought against.

If we applied strict Hollywood criteria, such as "based on a true story", "based upon real events", to our layouts, with the same level of rigid integrity and concern for historical accuracy for which film-makers are known and respected, we could run more or less anything from any period and any place together.  Stephenson's Rocket with a rake of Stroudley 4-wheelers could pass Eurostar on the line to Padstow in 1978 (though we'd film it on the Bluebell and claim it was Carlisle Citadel). We could also enjoy long, distinguished and lucrative careers before being unmasked as predatory misogynists or, in the case of Mr Braveheart, anti-Semitic bigots. Which surprised me, because I had always assumed the Mel Gibson thought the English were responsible for all the wars in the world.

Don't you just love the movies?!? 

When I was a young archaeologist (we are talking pre high-vis and helmets) we toyed with the idea of dressing to suit the layers being excavated, but decided too many changes of clothing would be required on the urban stuff we were digging. However as an aged railway modeller I firmly believe exhibitions (or indeed playing at home) would be vastly improved if operators and modellers dressed to suit the period being modelled.My current (and future) project is 1903-6 North Wales, At the moment however all I have that I could get away with is evening dress.

• Like 5

When I was a young archaeologist (we are talking pre high-vis and helmets) we toyed with the idea of dressing to suit the layers being excavated, but decided too many changes of clothing would be required on the urban stuff we were digging. However as an aged railway modeller I firmly believe exhibitions (or indeed playing at home) would be vastly improved if operators and modellers dressed to suit the period being modelled.My current (and future) project is 1903-6 North Wales, At the moment however all I have that I could get away with is evening dress.

Bravo!  Of course you must dress up!

It is a very good thing that CA is a home layout, because if it were exhibited, I would feel morally obliged to dress the part.

Trouble is, these days, rather than resemble my svelte avatar, I would end up looking more like the Fat Controller!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually no not in particular, I don't, the last time I went to a film was about 1990 and I've only been to a cinema, about 4 times in my life. 

• RMweb Premium

The traditional model railway exhibitor's uniform is a white lab coat.

Is it just me, or is the whole image faintly creepy? Or is it that looking at the image is faintly creepy? Anyway, something feels not quite right.

Compared to the "wet tshirt" one of JA, its pretty mild,.....

(Did that one get posted here?)  I know I saw it somewhere, but I'd be too chicken to post it here myself.

Anyhow, the computer its on is offline, waiting for a new case fan at the moment so I can't share it with the rest of the JAFC anyhow!

• RMweb Premium

The traditional model railway exhibitor's uniform is a white lab coat.

I'm sat here wearing one Now, as I do all the time at work and have done for 15 years, so I'm not wearing one elsewhere.

if not displaying Tiree, It's would be a Broadland MRC polo Shirt, I  choose  an EM gauge Association apron..

• Like 2

Actually no not in particular, I don't, the last time I went to a film was about 1990 and I've only been to a cinema, about 4 times in my life. 

I like going to the cinema.  That is in good measure due to the fact that this is my local cinema:

post-25673-0-18873100-1515410035_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-62118100-1515410067_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, I got the reply I was expecting! Actually, Q, I was sitting in the dinghy with you on Sunday, tacking along the river at Wroxham, sounded great, really enjoyable, although I suppose I’d find it very cold and wet.

Going back to dressing for occasions, what about this for a trip round the works?post-26540-0-30955200-1515411801.jpeg

When I was a kid in the forties, there was a childless couple lived down the road, the Banks’, who had never left the twenties in their fashions, the feller walking round in a baggy white cap, plus fours and two tone shoes, her in cloche hat and drape dresses. I suppose time’s moved on sufficiently that it no longer looks now like what it did to me then: at the same time time my Aunty May still referred to young women as “flappers”

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, I got the reply I was expecting! Actually, Q, I was sitting in the dinghy with you on Sunday, tacking along the river at Wroxham, sounded great, really enjoyable, although I suppose I’d find it very cold and wet.

Getting old and decrepit I sail a yeoman which has half a ton of cast steel hanging under so we don't often get wet, though it was cold. Sadly a Yeoman is too modern for this thread (the class is only 45 years old) . But in 1908 the main Summer regattta was filmed, many of the boats shown and definately the boats would have been there in 1903, and many of the boats are with us today Sometimes with the grand / great grand  children of the family sailing the same boat. I've probably posted this before but anyway..

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/57

and the 2010 regatta, (I'm in there some where)  this video starts with the Yare and Bure one designs first built in 1908

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-9PafFXHV0

oh and I've just found this one which concentrates on the 1995 season in Yeoman, that year I was sailing in Y 38, I'm  in there somewhere

https://youtu.be/1cSe8XACyoo

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If we applied strict Hollywood criteria, such as "based on a true story", "based upon real events", to our layouts, with the same level of rigid integrity and concern for historical accuracy for which film-makers are known and respected, we could run more or less anything from any period and any place together.  Stephenson's Rocket with a rake of Stroudley 4-wheelers could pass Eurostar on the line to Padstow in 1978 (though we'd film it on the Bluebell and claim it was Carlisle Citadel). We could also enjoy long, distinguished and lucrative careers before being unmasked as predatory misogynists or, in the case of Mr Braveheart, anti-Semitic bigots. Which surprised me, because I had always assumed the Mel Gibson thought the English were responsible for all the wars in the world.

The sad fact is not that they distort the story to make a good film (although in many cases it could have been just as good stuck to the true facts) it is the number of people who assume it is the truth and pooh pooh any suggestions. I may be a cynic but I feel a lot of the time the films are skewed as political propaganda.

Perhaps the most incongruous dress style was when I saw Pete Waterman's layout of Acton in Broad gauge days. The operating team looked like pop stars some with afro hairstyles, quite possibly were pop stars. Not what one expected on a Victorian era layout. US modellers are I believe fond of those railroad men's hats.

I do rather like the idea of Edwardian donning a Frock Coat to operate Castle Aching.

Don

• Like 3

The sad fact is not that they distort the story to make a good film (although in many cases it could have been just as good stuck to the true facts) it is the number of people who assume it is the truth and pooh pooh any suggestions. I may be a cynic but I feel a lot of the time the films are skewed as political propaganda.

Perhaps the most incongruous dress style was when I saw Pete Waterman's layout of Acton in Broad gauge days. The operating team looked like pop stars some with afro hairstyles, quite possibly were pop stars. Not what one expected on a Victorian era layout. US modellers are I believe fond of those railroad men's hats.

I do rather like the idea of Edwardian donning a Frock Coat to operate Castle Aching.

Don

Or distorting the facts to make a bad film!

I solemnly swear that I will never operate Castle Aching looking like a pop star, mind you, you've got me wondering where my morning coat and sponge bags are (and if they still fit!).  I know where my topper is, because my son has taken a shine to it and borrows it from time to time.

(I have no idea why, or, what he does with it - the secret life of children) 

• Like 5