A lot of you lucky lot seem to be growing taller (or extremely tall by myopic application of Body Mass Index).

I have on the other hand have grown shorter by 36mm (9 ft at 00 scale) during my current Age stage..

post-21705-0-95285600-1526037768.jpg

This is Walter Howell Deverall's "The 7 Ages of Man from 'As You Like It"

Many secretively lust driven CA parishoners will (rightly) dismiss WHD as a seriously boring PR painter

Though my A level history teacher (covering 'History theory') strenuously denied it was possible, I've always thought it fascinating to apply "What If ...?"  to Railway Hstory.

So here is my old style History Theory essay question

Wellington famously described Waterloo as "a devilish close run thing" - Discuss.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

A lot of you lucky lot seem to be growing taller (or extremely tall by myopic application of Body Mass Index).

I have on the other hand have grown shorter by 36mm (9 ft at 00 scale) during my current Age stage..

attachicon.gif7 ages of man.jpg

Many secretively lust driven CA parishoners will (rightly) dismiss

WHD as a seriously boring PR painter

Though my A level history teacher (covering 'History theory) strenuously denied it was possible, I've always thought it fascinating to apply "What If ...?"  to Railway Hstory.

Wellington famously described Waterloo as "a devilish close run thing" - Discuss.

dh

I thought the phrase was "Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton"

Or was that BREXIT?

Aha James! Here's one for you:

Eldest grandson who gets 90 plus in  History 'mocks' was asked by his Sixth form tutor what his ambition might be.

He said he would really like to be a History teacher, but realised he would always be poor - so maybe he should try to become a Lawye!

I remember at (New Mills, Derbyshire) School the Boss used his sixth form Divinity lessons to urge us all to become Dentists as all the  ones in Marple seemed to be very well paid.

None of us took his advice.

• Like 5

Aha James! Here's one for you:

Eldest grandson who gets 90 plus in  History 'mocks' was asked by his Sixth form tutor what his ambition might be.

He said he would really like to be a History teacher, but realised he would always be poor - so maybe he should try to become a Lawye!

I remember at (New Mills, Derbyshire) School the Boss used his sixth form Divinity lessons to urge us all to become Dentists as all the  ones in Marple seemed to be very well paid.

Not for me to advise him, but perhaps he should not become a diplomat

• Like 2

This all comes down to the time when Wellington was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. On leaving Apsley House one morning he told his driver to quickly take him to the station. In error he was dropped off at Waterloo. The dash from Waterloo to London Bridge Station was "a devilish close run thing" but he still made his train for Dover. 

• Like 5

attachicon.gif7 ages of man.jpg

Many secretively lust driven CA parishoners will (rightly) dismiss WHD as a seriously boring PR painter

Though my A level history teacher (covering 'History theory') strenuously denied it was possible, I've always thought it fascinating to apply "What If ...?"  to Railway Hstory.

dh

Most of the blokes in the painting look like members of Village People, no wonder the two girls are clutching at each other!

As a pre-Raff, I'd give Mr Deverell an E- and tell him to do his homework properly...

Another of Wellingtons famous military asides was that "he didn't know what his troops did to the enemy, but they frightened him..."

Something like that, anyway!  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That’s because....

[wait for it]

[drum-roll please!]

…getting school kids to follow a teacher’s advice is like pulling teeth!

I am here all week.

• Like 2

That’s because....

[wait for it]

[drum-roll please!]

I am here all week.

Thats what we feared....

Luckily, there's only a couple of days left! :jester:

Another of Wellingtons famous military asides was that "he didn't know what his troops did to the enemy, but they frightened him..."

That was his reported comment on inspecting the Highland regiments (also referred to as 'devils in skirts'!)

Nah, pulling teeth is much easier, provided you know how to do it, of course!

Jim (retired dentist and husband of retired school teacher)

and mewling.  Don't forget the mewling

Who could?

That was his reported comment on inspecting the Highland regiments (also referred to as 'devils in skirts'!)

Ahhh - the revered 3rd Foot and Mouth....

How DO Dentists practice the pulling?

• RMweb Premium

What is it about dentists and 2 mm fine scale?

• RMweb Premium

Last looked in about 11pm yesterday and I haven't a clue what we're going on about now.

I was a bit doubtful about the Iron Duke and Waterloo Station but the station opened in 1848 and he died in 1852 so it's possible.

Like many famous British so-called victories, Waterloo was a case of hanging on for dear life until help arrived - in this case Blücher and his Prussians. Interesting that it was he rather than Wellington who was commemorated by Stephenson's locomotive.

• Like 2

Surely the question is "is it safe?"

Something you wouldn't wan't to go to sleep, or wake up to!

As for "how do they practice", I know they used to practice extractions and "drilling" using phantom heads and, wait for it, pigs heads, which were said to exhibit a similar gross morphology to human teeth.

What dental students might do now is probably completely different...

Phantom head:

post-21933-0-24784500-1526052700.jpg

This is a bit more realistic looking than the ones I remember, there were others on google that looked like robocop.  You'd fear for your life with those!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

How DO Dentists practice the pulling?

In our case, on real live patients! (under close supervision). They gave us easy ones to start with!

How safe is your wallet/bank account when you enter a lawyer's office?!!

Jim