All this talk of rabbit trains, I'm surprised there hasn't been an intervention from a certain member of the Parish Council

I have no sympathy for rabbits!    :nono:   The garden at our last house was plagued with them.  Crocus leaves never got to grow more than 2" above the ground and trailing plants in tubs were neatly trimmed back to the edge of the tub.  I seriously considered obtaining a shotgun licence!!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Premium

There were certainly warrens on Thetford Heath.I am sure they were still visible when I cycled in the area - though it feels sometimes that that was pre CA.

Jonathan

Completely irrelevant, but are any parishioners going to the Small Cardiff Show next Saturday - small but perfectly formed - or Stafford on Sunday the 3rd Feb - big with a very muddy car park? if so look out for a tall white haired gent with a white beard and glasses. At Cardiff i shall be on the WRRC stand much of the time. At Stafford I shall be looking for obscure bits and pieces.

• Like 1

I have to be in London on Saturday, taking my son and his girlfriend for his 'Birthday Treat' weekend.  His birthday was last May, but you know how things have been!

But, enjoy, Jonathan.

You prompt me to say that I shall be making Maximum Effort to attend the York Show, which this year is 20-22nd April.

Are any parishioners planning to attend?

Thinking about suitable carriages for the secondary services of the West Norfolk Railway, while looking out the above I came across a reference to the Colne Valley & Halstead Railway (Rly Mag Dec 1906, p.565).  The correspondent had noted old carriages in use on the line 3 years previously, but on returning with a view to photographing them, he found they had been withdrawn.  Two of the bodies had been sold - see photo below.  "They had two doors on each side, and seats all round the coach - not transverse.  The builders were Messrs. Wright and Sons, Saltley Works, Birmingham, who state that these carriages were probably built in 1859, but that it was not then the practice to prepare drawings, but that they were chalked out on the shop wall, thus, of course, leaving no record - a curious side light on old-world methods.  The carriages were 18 ft. 6 in.long."

You are bang on the money there.

23 May 2016:

".. the WNR like the CV&HR, goes back to the end of the '50s, and the Essex line had some old Wright 4-wheelers, grounded by 1903" (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2314682)

25 May 2016:

"A mention ought to be made of the original coaching stock, as traces of this will remain as part of the layout's 'archaeology'. Wright coaches from the late 1850s were the original coaches and were bought new.  The Colne Valley & Halstead had some Joseph Wright 18'6" Thirds c. 1860 and there are drawings of Wright coaches used on the Isle of Wight.  On the WNR, by c.1905, the Wright coaches had been withdrawn from passenger service but are mentioned because they can crop up as grounded bodies or as running converted to passenger brake vans, or in 'departmental' use." (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2317061)

"The Cowes & Newport Railway opened in 1862.  By 1864 it was recorded as possessing 4 coaches from Joseph Wright.  These appear to have been 25'10" over the body.  As such, they are a little longer than the Wright coaches of circa 1860 that Kidner has the CV&HR acquire (18'6"), but I have drawings of the former and not of the latter." (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2317368)

post-25673-0-47888600-1547922863_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

By West Midlands I meant the industrial conurbation, rather than the western Midland counties in general. The Midland's true Ultima Thule was not Swansea, nor Great Yarmouth, nor Bournemouth, nor yet Mallaig - served by a through carriage from St Pancras during the Mallaig Extension's first summer season (a D508 48ft square-light clerestory lavatory brake composite) - but Killybegs, on Donegal Bay. 

The Midland had a canny way of extending its sphere of influence through joint lines - it was a partner in more than any other pre-Grouping company - its easternmost and westernmost limits being achieved via joint lines with the two Great Northern Railways!

If you're out in the sticks of North Devon and want a narrow-gauge locomotive, it'll come on a Midland wagon

The back-story for one of my previous layouts was that it was a GWR-LNWR joint line specifically promoted and agreed upon to block Midland expansionism.

Muahahaha!!!!!  :jester:

Sadly, I'm in no position to visit any shows at present....

(Purely family reasons...)

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

"A mention ought to be made of the original coaching stock, as traces of this will remain as part of the layout's 'archaeology'. Wright coaches from the late 1850s were the original coaches and were bought new.  The Colne Valley & Halstead had some Joseph Wright 18'6" Thirds c. 1860 and there are drawings of Wright coaches used on the Isle of Wight.  On the WNR, by c.1905, the Wright coaches had been withdrawn from passenger service but are mentioned because they can crop up as grounded bodies or as running converted to passenger brake vans, or in 'departmental' use." (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2317061)

"The Cowes & Newport Railway opened in 1862.  By 1864 it was recorded as possessing 4 coaches from Joseph Wright.  These appear to have been 25'10" over the body.  As such, they are a little longer than the Wright coaches of circa 1860 that Kidner has the CV&HR acquire (18'6"), but I have drawings of the former and not of the latter." (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2317368)

For once I won't say that I have photos of Wright coaches, because the Isle of Wight Railway ones under restoration at the IOWSR clearly are different, although similar. Those can be seen in my album at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4504-isle-of-wight-steam-railway/

• Like 1

I remember reading in a GWR WTT appendix - Ok i know the GWR didn't call them that - about keeping connections between goods trains for urgent rabbit traffic in South Wales circa the CA period. I think the conies ended up in the West Midlands. But they did not only run in the sausage season, being all year round as far as I could tell. And they were not dedicated trains.

Jonathan

PS How about similar traffic from CA to larger conurbations?

The Great Eastern had a considerable traffic in rabbits (the dead variety) from Thetford.

• RMweb Gold

Among the comments on multiple stations in towns may I point out that Reading has three Great Western ones (all still in use as far as I know) and one Southern one with a second at Earley just outside the town boundary . Intersestingly the LSWR ran trains from London into the SE&CR station but also ran trains from Basingstoke through Reading West  into Reading General. Somewhat off topic but used as an illustration of how complex the question of train services was.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Among the comments on multiple stations in towns may I point out that Reading has three Great Western ones (all still in use as far as I know) and one Southern one with a second at Earley just outside the town boundary . Intersestingly the LSWR ran trains from London into the SE&CR station but also ran trains from Basingstoke through Reading West  into Reading General. Somewhat off topic but used as an illustration of how complex the question of train services was.

Don

Indeed, but Tilehurst and Earley are not really Reading stations in the sense that, say, all five Oldham stations were Oldham stations. They're in both cases the next "country" station along the line, not with their own distinct services.

Several Warren Farms on The Chalk of the Berkshire Downs.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

Acton, now in West London.

Go count how many stations that Municipal Borough had, although I guess that such places are outwith the spirit of this topic.

That used to be a popular quiz question. I think there are/were seven stations that had Acton in their name, although whether they're all actually in Acton I'm not sure.

Still seven stations open, the four points of the compass plus Town, Central and Main Line.  All are in the old municpal area (now incorporated into LB Ealing).  I don't think there were any others that have closed.

• RMweb Premium

"How about CA having a Warren Lodge"

I suspect that some CA parishioners - not the directors of course - live in less luxurious accommodation than that. Though I also suspect that for the past couple of years or so the MD would have been glad to move into such a palace.

If you are looking for cascaded carriages, there was an article in Railway Modeller last October about the Hull & Barnsley Railway with drawings and nice models.of its four wheelers several of which ended up in the ownership of impecunious South Wales companies.One ended up on the Bishop's Castle Railway - but none of those drawn, unfortunately.

Jonathan

For Acton-spotters ........ https://londonist.com/london/history/why-does-acton-have-so-many-stations

Glad to note that the people cited as authorities are Mr & Mrs Kinghts of 'Acton History', because I used to work with Mr Knights, and we sometimes used to swap material to use in lectures/talks to IEE branches, local history groups, and the like. Good to know that we are both still obsessing over such matters!

• RMweb Gold

On the multiple stations theme, Newhaven has Town, Harbour and had Marine. The last is still there but has been stripped of any buildings and train services. All were LBSCR. Harbour and Marine's names changed from Harbour Hotel Station and Harbour respectively at some point after the 1938 OS map was published. I am sure someone in RMwebland can fill in or correct the details.

Just to add confusion, the common name for the Marine station among staff used to be "Newhaven Harbour (Boat)", which made clear the important point that it was right next to the boat to France!

Latterly, the evening boat train, to connect with the overnight ferry to Dieppe, was a seriously unglamorous effort, consisting of a couple of EMUs that had spent the day carrying commuters to and from Brighton, with old newspapers and fag buts all over the floor to prove it, and if one set happened to have a buffet car, said facility was firmly shut.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add confusion, the common name for the Marine station among staff used to be "Newhaven Harbour (Boat)", which made clear the important point that it was right next to the boat to France!

Latterly, the evening boat train, to connect with the overnight ferry to Dieppe, was a seriously unglamorous effort, consisting of a couple of EMUs that had spent the day carrying commuters to and from Brighton, with old newspapers and fag buts all over the floor to prove it, and if one set happened to have a buffet car, said facility was firmly shut.

Today the station at which to alight for the ferry is actually the Town Station. The Harbour station has no access to the ferry terminal. It may well increase in importance, as there are funded plans to develop the East Quay area for trade and light industrial use. The County Council put a road in to the east of the current industrial and retail parks some years ago and it has sat there with a couple of roundabouts with short stubs off them ever since. The new plan includes a new bridge to extend that road over the railway, as it heads to Seaford, and the creek that used to serve the tidemills.

Edited by phil_sutters

There are the two small villages in the Highlands which both used to have both 'Upper' and 'Lower' stations, Crianlarich and Tyndrum.  In both cases the 'Upper' station was on the West Highland line, while the 'Lower' was on the C & O.  Since the closure of the C & O between Dunblane and Crianlarich, only Tyndrum retains both.   Oban train now use the WH line as far as what was Crianlarich Upper and then take the spur down onto the C & O.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

There are the two small villages in the Highlands which both used to have both 'Upper' and 'Lower' stations, Crianlarich and Tyndrum.  In both cases the 'Upper' station was on the West Highland line, while the 'Lower' was on the C & O.  Since the closure of the C & O between Dunblane and Crianlarich, only Tyndrum retains both.   Oban train now use the WH line as far as what was Crianlarich Upper and then take the spur down onto the C & O.

Jim

Helensburgh always seems to be the most unlikely place to retain an upper and lower station.

• Like 1

Ardrossan (Ayrshire) used to have five stations; it lost Ardrossan North in the early thirties and Montgomerie Pier in the late sixties (IIRC) but still has Ardrossan South Beach, Ardrossan Town and Ardrossan Harbour (previously Winton Pier).  The population is 10,500 (Newhaven is 12,000) and of course for a few years was part of the WCML to London via Fleetwood.

Folkestone manages quite well for stations as well, though not one of them does justice to the size of the place, and the Harbour station is now a tourist resort and event venue.

Jonathan

Off the top of my head: 

- Folkestone Central/Town

- Folkestone East/Junction

- Folkestone West/Shorncliffe Camp

- Cheriton Halt

- Folkestone Harbour

- Warren Halt (if that counts)

All for a town of 45,000 (ish) people, probably a lot less back when all the stations were open. If they didn't keep changing the names of them all I'd be clearer about what was what! Only West and Central are still in use, and they're only a minute apart.

I liked the Harbour station back when it was all derelict and atmospheric...

post-25124-0-66914500-1548008730_thumb.jpg

• Like 5