4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I was going to say that I’d got nothing railway related, but truth is that on Christmas Eve I stumbled upon a seriously good sale in the clothing section at the garden centre, and bought myself a new anorak.

I was hoping for a Christmas Train Set, but being modelled on British Railways, its running very late...

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

s'pose I should be grateful it wasn't a lump of coal...

I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred the useful modelling supplies over the snacks!

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I bloody love that fellow.

With good reason, Merry Christmas!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

You'll probably just get a replacement 'bus.

A bus from that period would be slow, cold and damp.  For example. the "On the Buses" fleet is modern and luxurious by comparison...  🥴

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The Bradshaw de nos jours:

BC353E93-BBC6-489E-8D8B-F30EBACD8379.jpeg.c8f961e5bf6ebfd4c4eb8f978192f130.jpeg

Snap!

awatt_hd.jpg.cc3a1dd35e3b84d7a25d2ff531729fa3.jpg

My local interest is encompassed by chapter 5*, with statutory photo of Hadlow Road** station in the photo section.

* 1987 ed

** Not strictly a "Road" station as it was situated on a road called Hadlow Road and served the village of Willaston, though it was a brisk walk from the station to the village...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

That one always reminds me of the definition of a camel as a horse designed by a committee...

Which just goes to show how (some) humans have a complete lack of appreciation of evolutionary development and animals that they are not used to.

I find all the camelids very interesting, and there are some llamas in a field not very far away from where I live.

I am quite prepared to forgive the camels for having evolved in what we now call 'North America'.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

slow, cold and damp ..  🥴

A West Norfolk Railway branch service ... also very late. 

Hope everyone is having a nice time. I've been doing work and then Christmas full time. I do hope to snatch some modelling time soon, though. The little WWI diorama is to have a second building and 2-3 wagons built, at which point I'll probably leave it at that. It will have served it's purpose of refreshing the palette, but can remain open to the addition of items of rolling stock, WWI vehicles and personnel as the mood takes me. 

There is, or will be, an ongoing early railways distraction, but more on that later.  Recent Christmas presents fit nowhere in foreseeable schemes, unless and until resurrection of the scenic test-track brings freelance 009 back in play, allowing me free range in that gauge, but I have 3 motivations here: (1) I do feel it important to support certain releases, mainly pre-Grouping era in my case, (2) So often these days, once a thing is gone, it's gone, and, (3) Sooner or later fine-detail China-made RTR products will become politically, economically and ethically unsustainable (I already have guilt), after which the End Times will be upon us, so enjoy it while you can! 

Thoughts are returning, as they should, to the WNR. There are a number of aspects of stock that are surprisingly (for me) advanced, but no one thing has yet to be brought to fruition.

So:

In terms of goods wagons:

- The majority of the WNR's general merchandise fleet was built some months ago, so one final push should get me over the line in construction terms, then I'll be looking to get transfers printed next.

- There is a series of old WNR wagons of varying provenance that I intend to run as coal wagons from Wolfringham Staithe. About half are unbuilt, so I need to crack on with those.

- I have a rake of 8 early mineral wagons and a brake van for the Norfolk Minerals that need finishing.  

In terms of coaches:

- CAD exists for 4 types of the 4-wheel WNR 1870s 'New Stock', so I can now get these printed and form branch trains

- The 3 second-hand 1860s coaches the WNR uses for the Wolfringham branch service exist, but need finishing.

- There is a half-built rake of tram coaches for the WNR's Bishop's Lynn Tramway stock.

- I need to develop a Third to match the style of the Hattons Genesis stock, used for the WNR's 1890s mainline coaches, then I will have these at least to 'proof of concept' stage. 

After that, I have to consider locos and some station buildings, and CAD for some generic 1880s coaches! 

It's almost like I've come up with a series of New Year Resolutions.

Funny how the fit takes you some times. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, drmditch said:

Which just goes to show how (some) humans have a complete lack of appreciation of evolutionary development and animals that they are not used to.

I find all the camelids very interesting, and there are some llamas in a field not very far away from where I live.

I am quite prepared to forgive the camels for having evolved in what we now call 'North America'.

Our local farm shop keeps camels and I think I've seen llamas there.

The Incas certainly had a thing about them ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

When we lived in Paris in the early 90s, France Telecom had a poster campaign urging homesick non-native Parisians to phone home. The Spanish version read "Llama sua casa" which of course we took great delight in willfully mis-translating as "Llama in the house".

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A West Norfolk Railway branch service ... also very late. 

Hope everyone is having a nice time. I've been doing work and then Christmas full time. I do hope to snatch some modelling time soon, though. The little WWI diorama is to have a second building and 2-3 wagons built, at which point I'll probably leave it at that. It will have served it's purpose of refreshing the palette, but can remain open to the addition of items of rolling stock, WWI vehicles and personnel as the mood takes me. 

There is, or will be, an ongoing early railways distraction, but more on that later.  Recent Christmas presents fit nowhere in foreseeable schemes, unless and until resurrection of the scenic test-track brings freelance 009 back in play, allowing me free range in that gauge, but I have 3 motivations here: (1) I do feel it important to support certain releases, mainly pre-Grouping era in my case, (2) So often these days, once a thing is gone, it's gone, and, (3) Sooner or later fine-detail China-made RTR products will become politically, economically and ethically unsustainable (I already have guilt), after which the End Times will be upon us, so enjoy it while you can! 

Thoughts are returning, as they should, to the WNR. There are a number of aspects of stock that are surprisingly (for me) advanced, but no one thing has yet to be brought to fruition.

So:

In terms of goods wagons:

- The majority of the WNR's general merchandise fleet was built some months ago, so one final push should get me over the line in construction terms, then I'll be looking to get transfers printed next.

- There is a series of old WNR wagons of varying provenance that I intend to run as coal wagons from Wolfringham Staithe. About half are unbuilt, so I need to crack on with those.

- I have a rake of 8 early mineral wagons and a brake van for the Norfolk Minerals that need finishing.  

In terms of coaches:

- CAD exists for 4 types of the 4-wheel WNR 1870s 'New Stock', so I can now get these printed and form branch trains

- The 3 second-hand 1860s coaches the WNR uses for the Wolfringham branch service exist, but need finishing.

- There is a half-built rake of tram coaches for the WNR's Bishop's Lynn Tramway stock.

- I need to develop a Third to match the style of the Hattons Genesis stock, used for the WNR's 1890s mainline coaches, then I will have these at least to 'proof of concept' stage. 

After that, I have to consider locos and some station buildings, and CAD for some generic 1880s coaches! 

It's almost like I've come up with a series of New Year Resolutions.

Funny how the fit takes you some times. 

We've got a lot to look forward to in 2023!  Keep up the good work,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But is that a problem?

I would imagine the horse would become confused/disorientated/queasy with the disconnect between their movement and subsequent opposite direction of movement.  At the very least I might expect the horse to stop when it senses it is going backwards when trying to move forwards?

But I don't know, I'm not a horse psychologist so perhaps it would be fine.

Best

Scott. 

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1