19 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Super glue might work but it is rather a brittle joint.  Araldite would probably be better but you will have to support it in the correct position while it dries.

Agree 100%, I have seen super glue/whitemetal come adrift many a time, Araldite much better but you have to hold it still for at least 10-15 minutes for it to set sufficiently to "grip" properly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So, today I received my quarterly water bill  ... for £3,515 odd. 

So, after taking a deep breath, I 'phoned my supplier.

I have had poor experiences with utilities suppliers, notably Scottish Power, who spent months trying to bully me via debt collectors and unlawful threats of disconnection before conceding their meter was faulty and producing a statement showing that I had not used the electricity consumption of a small town, but was in fact comfortably in credit.

However, I had to listen to remarkably little of Yorkshire Water's 'brass band favourites' album before a very helpful man from Bradford told me not to worry, he'd have a word with his boss and sort it out.  He rang me back within an hour or two, having sorted it out. I ended the day £23.65 in credit. No idea what caused all this, other than this was apparently an historic thing at their end. 

I drink Yorkshire water now ...

MV5BMzE0YzI2ZDQtZmJhMC00ZWFjLWIzMDItNTU2MzY1MDE2NTQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_.jpg.a453a3ecb8395aadcaad309271450640.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the pony repair discussion, it would be Araldite for me as well. After all, they glue cars and aeroplanes together with it. I’ve managed to use it to reattach with perfect success, the mirror on my DSLR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Right. Thanks to all. It's looking like araldite on a joint reinforced with brass rod pinning. I would be fairly confident that, if I bring enough care and competence to the task (far from guaranteed!) it should suffice and avoid more fundamental and traumatic options!

There are a number of changes required, other than the repairs. On an initial assessment, I would say a back-dated cased safety valve and dished smokebox door. Also, I'm grateful that the builder used glue, because he's built the tender frames back to front!

Hopefully I'll end up with a free running engine!

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

26 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

What is this new loco ?

May we please have a photo of the top of it ?

Rodney

So, spot the mistake!

20231208_103540-Copy.jpg.81a4db35653bf12b3b16177290399a43.jpg

Those tender fenders will need to come off, too. 

It's been said of the Great Western that it could be run with just two types, the Hall Class and a Pannier. That always stuck me as a bit silly, but if you had to run the Great Eastern with just two classes, you might get away with it if these were the Y14 0-6-0 and the T26 2-4-0 'Intermediates'.  So, clearly I must find my way to one of the latter for CA. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It's been said of the Great Western that it could be run with just two types, the Hall Class and a Pannier. That always stuck me as a bit silly

What utter twaddle.

One only needs a single type.

1.%20Dean%20Goods%20with%20pannier%20tan

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/531/going-loco-october-2022

gl_221028_4_dean-goods-179.jpg 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/steam-railway-uk/20181109/283042645516175

:)

God alone knows what the question was, but Swindon apparently decided the answer must be 'Okay!' under all circs.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I looked at that but then forgot about it so didn't bid.   I was going to break it up to use to build an F3 - still am, when I find a suitably rough one.

Wot's an F3 Mister?  The GER never had no F3's.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Time will come when only one C32 remains, hidden away on the Framlingham Branch.

The shame of it though with the C32's for all their fine appearance was that they were heavier than an 'Intermediate' so didn't have the same route availability.  Once they were displaced from working London suburban trains they didn't really have a job to do anymore so their fate was inevitable.

Doesn't stop me from running them on trains out of Moxbury though.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

So, spot the mistake!

20231208_103540-Copy.jpg.81a4db35653bf12b3b16177290399a43.jpg

Those tender fenders will need to come off, too. 

It's been said of the Great Western that it could be run with just two types, the Hall Class and a Pannier. That always stuck me as a bit silly, but if you had to run the Great Eastern with just two classes, you might get away with it if these were the Y14 0-6-0 and the T26 2-4-0 'Intermediates'.  So, clearly I must find my way to one of the latter for CA. 

So, as will be seen, the repairs in addition to the pony truck are larglely cosmetic. Fortunately both 'pins' for a tender connector are present. The front spring and valance will need reconstructing, along with the rear of the cab footplate and handrails. All casualties of the the inadequate packaging.  

The coupled wheelbase I have not checked, but I think it's likely to be at least close to correct. Ideally the mainframe would be reset slightly forward to allow a better alignment with the splashers. This would also align the leading wheels better with their axleboxes.

The obvious mistake is that the tender frames are the wrong way round!  The shorter interval should be to the rear. These frames are already loose at the ends, however, so I should be able to prise these off with care and swop them round! I note the cut outs are not the D-shaped. The Y14s had both patterns, but I'd need to swot up on the T26s.

So, there are some issues, even without the need to back-date, but with the damage refund we are looking at a model that set me back c.£57 plus postage, so it's worth the risk and the hassle to try to get it right!

Assuming a sound working model results, as I say, the changes to GER condition will not be great. I need a nice dished smoke box door, with separate handrail to the face, and Alan Gibson's GER safety valve. The tender fenders need careful removal.

Then some detail would not go amiss: Loco and tender guard irons, lamp irons , loco brakes, and sand boxes and pipes come immediately to mind.  

Then the challenge of the fully lined ultramarine livery.

image.png.3c5a3fb75ed8b0485f913295a177b66a.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Schooner said:

What utter twaddle.

One only needs a single type.

:)

God alone knows what the question was, but Swindon apparently decided the answer must be 'Okay!' under all circs.

I think the question was along the lines of, can you provide a small goods loco with condensing gear to reduce the smoke generated so that enemy gunners cannot range on the train?

I suspect the last shot in the video had the condensing gear shut off.

I have seen a similar post WW1 picture which IIRC was based on an LYR loco still in ROD livery. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Then the challenge of the fully lined ultramarine livery.

More a general question than direct response, but given fairy recent improvements in photogrammetry, printing etc, does any company offer full-body transfers (or even vinyls?) for intricate liveries? Sort of POWSides Plus.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

51 minutes ago, Schooner said:

More a general question than direct response, but given fairy recent improvements in photogrammetry, printing etc, does any company offer full-body transfers (or even vinyls?) for intricate liveries? Sort of POWSides Plus.

That's certainly been my thought for the WNR's liveries. So many areas could be designed as entire panels. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s a person called Peter Smith, who runs Kirtley Models, and does contract modelling. A few years back he did a set of computer design printed panels which he stuck on his 7mm model locos. for his layout Saltdean, in full Stroudley livery. Reference to this was in the LBSC Digest, and I think he did publish a booklet on this. The covid outbreak did alter trading patterns for a lot of the small traders, he used to do some really good brick papers before then, for instance. He’s also created the very useful Station Colours website.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It's been said of the Great Western that it could be run with just two types, the Hall Class and a Pannier

Thus spoke the great authority on all matters of Great Western philosophy, the almighty Trianghornby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

There’s a person called Peter Smith, who runs Kirtley Models, and does contract modelling. A few years back he did a set of computer design printed panels which he stuck on his 7mm model locos. for his layout Saltdean, in full Stroudley livery. Reference to this was in the LBSC Digest, and I think he did publish a booklet on this. The covid outbreak did alter trading patterns for a lot of the small traders, he used to do some really good brick papers before then, for instance. He’s also created the very useful Station Colours website.

This book .....

20231208_161347.jpg.cd25077c0ea424a519c42e2b9fabb22f.jpg

The trick is having the knowledge and skill to be able to do what he has done with whatever version of whatever software you have. But, yes, the principle is sound.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Recently I received, by way of a 'thank you' some new toys, for which I, and the management of the Bishop's Lynn Tramway, are profoundly grateful...

20231213_103208.jpg.0e1c3746c63fe16176b490d80849c0ed.jpg

Of course, this is a goods locomotive, in terms of usage if not designation, and I think one built later than CA is set (i.e. it's not one of the original 1903 lot), but these are mere details. I have a G15, and some brass coach kits for the W&UT and, armed with the correct RAL number for the Rapido stock, I will be able to paint them up to match. 

20231213_103453.jpg.292016705497a2b2099f8f8e14bfa05e.jpg

20231213_104019.jpg.76df8520cf8d4ae54efc22eed9e04db4.jpg

20231213_104023.jpg.df6ac96ba9f4e8a2023b36d7a6649994.jpg

20231213_104041.jpg.e43a8abe7d404e3f948c7de154b5473e.jpg

20231213_104051.jpg.e19c7dbe5dd71b73004841157fb9d261.jpg

The detail and quality of finish of modern RTR can be very impressive, and I think these will be only the second RTR SG coach release in pre-Grouping livery (of a pre-Groupinfg prototype as opposed to generics).

I have 2-3 of the 4-wheelers and the Brake Van in brass kit form and the older luggage van in a very good 3d print. So ....

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

These are incredibly good models, and I do hugely like rural steam tramways, so I’m rather envious. It’s a good job in many ways that they are so very specifically linked to one rural steam tramway, because if they were something  “manufacturer’s catalogue standard” I’d probably have given in and bought some by now, starting yet another Great Diversion of the kind that I’m supposed to have cured myself of.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

These are incredibly good models, and I do hugely like rural steam tramways, so I’m rather envious. It’s a good job in many ways that they are so very specifically linked to one rural steam tramway, because if they were something  “manufacturer’s catalogue standard” I’d probably have given in and bought some by now, starting yet another Great Diversion of the kind that I’m supposed to have cured myself of.

Linked to two rural tramways, the W&UT and the Bishop's Lynn Tramway (!), not to mention Annie's virtual line, and, of course, there was the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway for the coaches and GER dock lines for the locos. 

In a world of 'what ifs' based on the practice of prototype lines, there is plenty of scope for using these, I think. But, yes, a non-GER line would not use this equipment, and I think that is the meat of your point? 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Not just GER, surely?

Indeed! I'm not entirely sure I've not seen reference to similar in my early research into the Mercian and Wessex...

The Selsey coaches are noticeably (even to my eye) different, a design also used at Looe. Falcons, perhaps? Will look up when I get a mo. Phototool art for 4mm and 7mm to send to etchers available at £25 per design from...give me a sec...

...Mr Robert Kosmider, sales@steamandthings.com. Website seems down, which is a shame as the range for tramish/LR passenger stock was fascinating. Got two for Ingleford about 6 months ago, waiting to clear the roundtuits off the workbench before getting them cut 'tho.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 3