Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I was wondering who'd be the first to notice.

Nice looking spot.

Adrian

Well, it's near enough Easby, which the old Richmond branch used to pass, so pretty familiar turf. It's a 10 minute drive away.

• Like 3

So, as regular parishioners may recall, each Christmas I furnish my own railway presents, to spare the family the trauma.

This year I took advantage of a second-user listing to complete my trinity of Bachmann L&YR Aspinall1008 Class (Hughes Class 5) tanks. 

Also, this....

20231228_102153.jpg.dcd7700048f6f551a15e36dbcd2edff7.jpg

Now, before you decide that I have taken leave of my senses, I had better explain.

I have no working layout. Since dismantling the test track layout on moving house, what, two and a half years ago, I have had no means to test locos.

It stuck my that I should rig up my Bachmann train set controller to some track and deal with that. Said controller was nowhere to be found, however. So, thinks I, when I bought it, it was only £25, so I'll buy another. 

Well, they're not £25 anymore.

The cheapest complete controller set I could find was £75. I thought I'd see if anyone was flogging a second hand Bachmann train set for less. Well, they weren't, but this one was on offer for £75, so I thought I may as well go for this, as the circuit of track would allow me to run in RTR locos, everyone of which has yet to be run in. The clincher was that the vendor was including some sections of straight track, which would be easier for placing some of my locos of the track, and would allow me to test those kit built locos that wouldn't fancy the train set curves.

So...

20231228_102225.jpg.2fe86bd2bcaedc417786d066d5eadaef.jpg

This arrived two days ago, since when I have been testing locos interpersed with desperate hunts for those not seen in years. I think all the kit-built locos have been now found, save one large Swindon saddle tank, though, of course, it's always possible I've simply forgotton one or two. Anyway, I have now tested all the kit-built locos I could find, and have run those RTR locos acquired since the move, which had not, therefore, run until now. 

There are a couple of surprise failures - ones I am sure did run - and a previously untested NER C Class that runs splendidly, provided it's forward. The rest on the 'problem pile' are very much the usual suspects. 

To be continued.... 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

So, as regular parishioners may recall, each Christmas I furnish my own railway presents, to spare the family the trauma.

This year I took advantage of a second-user listing to complete my trinity of Bachmann L&YR Aspinall1008 Class (Hughes Class 5) tanks. 

Also, this....

20231228_102153.jpg.dcd7700048f6f551a15e36dbcd2edff7.jpg

Now, before you decide that I have taken leave of my senses, I had better explain.

I have no working layout. Since dismantling the test track layout on moving house, what, two and a half years ago, I have had no means to test locos.

It stuck my that I should rig up my Bachmann train set controller to some track and deal with that. Said controller was nowhere to be found, however. So, thinks I, when I bought it, it was only £25, so I'll buy another. 

Well, they're not £25 anymore.

The cheapest complete controller set I could find was £75. I thought I'd see if anyone was flogging a second hand Bachmann train set for less. Well, they weren't, but this one was on offer for £75, so I thought I may as well go for this, as the circuit of track would allow me to run in RTR locos, everyone of which has yet to be run in. The clincher was that the vendor was including some sections of straight track, which would be easier for placing some of my locos of the track, and would allow me to test those kit built locos that wouldn't fancy the train set curves.

So...

20231228_102225.jpg.2fe86bd2bcaedc417786d066d5eadaef.jpg

This arrived two days ago, since when I have been testing locos interpersed with desperate hunts for those not seen in years. I think all the kit-built locos have been now found, save one large Swindon saddle tank, though, of course, it's always possible I've simply forgotton one or two. Anyway, I have now tested all the kit-built locos I could find, and have run those RTR locos acquired since the move, which had not, therefore, run until now. 

There are a couple of surprise failures - ones I am sure did run - and a previously untested NER C Class that runs splendidly, provided it's forward. The rest on the 'problem pile' are very much the usual suspects. 

To be continued.... 

when I saw the Bachmann toy I did wonder if you’d had too much brandy soaked Christmas pud…

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, drduncan said:

when I saw the Bachmann toy I did wonder if you’d had too much brandy soaked Christmas pud…

It's a very useful engine, ideal for knocking a few wagons into shape:

HornbyAyers1.JPG.e159e4334f714fab80844f4f263cf195.JPG

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Those Bachman Junior locos were reputed to be good runners, much better than entry-level modern Hornby, so presumably some potential for upcycling, although the wheels always looked too big for small engines to me.

Yes, they are lovely smooth runners and, therefore, are a lovely mechanism to work with if you can find something to do with one. Part of what I factored into the trainset purchase was that I was acquiring another such chassis.

So far my effort has been using one to convert Nellie to a 2-4-0. This was a bit of a practice run for a similar stunt I want to pull for a WNR loco.

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Interesting.

I case of future opportunity, what are the wheel sizes and wheelbase dimensions?

(This is not an urgent question, but if you happen to have your ruler/callipers out any time.)

The wheels are 18mm diameter and equidistant at 23mm centres.

4'6" is not a bad size for a small Victorian 6-coupled engine, though 5'9" centres is the problem. In the whole world of mid-late Victorian 6-coupled locos, I cannot think of one that combines this wheel size with any wheelbase measurement starting with a 5. Prototype w/bs are invariably longer. Take for instance the diminutive 4’6” Cambrian Small Goods/Furness D1 0-6-0, with it's w/b of  6’9” + 8’ .

For this reason I decided that the mechanism best suited a small Victorian 4-coupled passenger engine. As the mechanism drives the centre axle, the unit can readily be changed to an 0-4-2, or, as here, a 2-4-0. 

a.jpg.83607315e25faa3dc0578e0f04c36571.jpg

The other dimension to bear in mind is you probably need approx 38mm above the rails to clear the motor.  If interested, there is a Bachmann Junior diseasal that uses the same chassis and is sometimes easier to come by. I have also found it in a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0ST. 

20231230_110222.jpg.14447d7527a807eaee752100fb82c71d.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the test track...

Two days later...

The good news is that Eclipse, who, though like all the majority of my kit-built locos would appreciate a service, is a runner!

20231230_101500.jpg.7f00b6314846fa57a63cfcef767ef4da.jpg

And, I have been able to run for the first time pretty much 3 years of RTR purchases:

20231230_100131.jpg.c54e9e9262c8ae9d267a5f17d70bf521.jpg

Further good news is that all the WNR locos in their various states of incompleteness, also work...

In the foreground we have three locomotives for the Norfolk Minerals Railway. The Bourbonnais is slated for Anglicisation (no doubt the Government will then claim that as a BREXIT benefit along with blue passports, the ability to sell champagne in pint bottles and ... er ...) in order to resemble the Brampton Railway's long-boiler tank rebuilds. 

We see the WNR's tram for the Bishop's Lynn line, and the rest are intended as WNR locomotives, though I am concerned that both the L&YR 0-4-4T and the LSWR 0-6-0ST are too large for the WNR.

20231229_193818.jpg.9befcc3937efd24b936cda298a8943e3.jpg

Very definitely good news is that the majority of kit-built locos work!

20231230_100116a.jpg.175681a912610caf9701130c6faacbb4.jpg

Mechanically these will need a service, but no more. A number await physical back-dating and or liveries to bring them pre-Grouping condition. Brother Stephen will note two 2-4-0s and two 4-4-0s requiring de-Deelification!

Although this may appear madness, I have concentrated my efforts on a mere eight pre-Grouping companies, though my recent interest in the L&YR would make a ninth. In my defence, the GER, MR and GNR are intended for eventual service on Castle Aching, with the LNWR Precedent appearing with a Special.

The GWR, LNWR and LSWR were originally collected for the dormant Butley Town layout. This was a Macclesfield MRC layout set in Grouping era and notionally linking LMS and SR routes via the GWR. Somewhat in the spirit of this, my plan was to back date it and run it as, alternatively, GW-LNW joint (think Welsh Marches) and GW-LSW joint (think West Country), however, the SW stuff is now intended for Barnstaple Town. The NER has a list of three projects, Cawood, Marley Hill and Richmond. For the SE&CR I have settled in my mind on Robertsbridge, so I can combine with the K&ESR. The Brighton is very much at large, but who can resist the Brighton? I will not live this long, of course, but the joy is in the journey! 

In the meantime, these are the non-performers and I really do need to get them working:

20231230_095816a.jpg.3734ef49dcff11179c04afe446795fdc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I finally found the little Fox Walker, WNR No.2, that had been lost for months and months in a hair-tearing anxiety of searchfulness. In the meantime I had made a start on its carriage set. Thus, this work in progress shot represents the Wolfringham branch train. As befits the sparse traffic on this 'withered arm', down-graded to Light Railway status, it is a short train of second-hand stock, in this case an Oldbury 1st-2nd Composite bracketed by two ex-GER Third Breaks, all 1860s vintage.  

20231230_142018a.jpg.64185a96bf83e20008fe71414575a3c8.jpg

Around 1900, the GER began to dispose of stock of this vintage. Customers could specify any upgrades or changes they wanted, and Stratford would do the work for the appropriate adjustment in price. Thus, for instance, the Rother Valley took two, which Stratford converted to vacuum braking and gas-lighting (the stock not having been converted to gas lighting before withdrawal). The Minute Books of the, at the time, cash-strapped WNR record that Stratford was only required to fit its coaches for vacuum braking. The origin of the Oldbury carriage, of a type similar to those supplied new to the Isle of Wight Railway, alas the Minute Books do not record*. 

While there will be trains of inbound ship-borne coal, for which I intend to employ the ex-Cornwall Minerals 0-6-0, and return empties, I do not plan to run a separate branch goods service for Shepherd's Port, but instead to add 2-3 wagons as tail traffic to the passenger set once a day or as required. Passengers can, thus, enjoy the Colonel Stephens' Experience (miss your connection while the engine of your late running train shunts its tail traffic in a goods yard en route to the junction station). 

These services could logically terminate at Aching Constable, but, as that hub of railway business will not be on the layout, I decided they should run through to BM! The originall intent was to send the regular Wolfringham service to CA, but that would need Aching Constable Junction South to be retained/reinstated, and Duo Account has warned against over-burdening the timetable at CA.  

WNRSystemMapDetail01.jpg.47a26f1ac878ab450c5a60e1992a9ebf.jpg

Returning to WNR No.2, here is the last time I saw it before its rediscovery yesterday. This was 11 September 2022:

20220911_170142.jpg.e347e1728157d81d11a0687c0c413cf7.jpg

And here is the livery I must try to reproduce (!):

20220905_120441-FullVersion.jpg.de28c8d329e8fa4c0f1eeb0d3b2dc18f.jpg

* G.R. Tweddle, Carriages of the West Norfolk Railway, An Illustrated History and Minute Books of the West Norfolk Railway, collections of the Castle Aching Borough Museum & Gallery, available to view on microfiche (Tuesdays and Thursdays only, by appointment). For a picture of the set running behind WNR No.2, circa 1905, see the Rokewood Press volume on the WNR, sadly now long since out of print.

Edited by Edwardian
More stuff
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

27 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Ooh! Did I? And I didn’t caution against overburdening the loco fleet? That’s alright, then. That’s a lovely little branch train you’re making up there.

Ah, I suspect I meant Brother Nearholmer, but these days it's hard to tell!

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have to say you have a mouth watering collection of locomotives there Edwardian.

Reference the Bachman Junior locos, I tried to get hold of one once, to convert the chassis to a 2-4-0 for a Beyer Peacock tank engine I planned to scratch build for my IOW layout. As it happens, I went the whole hog and acquired a kit, from Golden Arrow Productions. Which reminds me, it’s about time I started building it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

...it’s when you’ve got 4mm stuff and you want to do 7mm

Isn't that why we all have a secret O16.5/n30 scheme, amirite?!

Right...!

Guys...right...?

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

...the Wolfringham branch train.

Yum.

for which I intend to employ the ex-Cornwall Minerals 0-6-0

Also yum.

*yum intensifies*

These services could logically terminate at Aching Constable, but, as that hub of railway business will not be on the layout, I decided they should run through to BM!

Have sorting yard, will sort!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And here is the livery I must try to reproduce (!):

With the outer panels having nice simple 90° corners or smooth arcs, it might be relatively straightforward to make those up as complete lining panels with transfer paper and an inkjet printer - relatively being compared to painting multiple thin bands and applying each individual lining transfer by hand...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Deeps said:

I have to say you have a mouth watering collection of locomotives there Edwardian.

Reference the Bachman Junior locos, I tried to get hold of one once, to convert the chassis to a 2-4-0 for a Beyer Peacock tank engine I planned to scratch build for my IOW layout. As it happens, I went the whole hog and acquired a kit, from Golden Arrow Productions. Which reminds me, it’s about time I started building it.

Are you not, therefore, in need of a rake of Oldburys, like the one in use in the Wolfringham branch set?

Let me know how you get on with the Beyer. That kit is some way down my to do list.