• RMweb Premium

Scotland Yard have released further details of their joint surveillance operation with MI7, amid concerns that tensions within the RMWeb community may be in danger of spilling over into wider public disorder, as evidenced by today's events in Barnard Castle. A spokesman said that for many years an uneasy truce had been maintained between two dominant factions, the "Reds" and the "Blues"*, both of which boasted of being "ready to run". In the last few years, the dominance of these two factions has been challenged by regional groups known as "Retailers", leading to savage reprisals. While MI7 has successfully infiltrated these organisations, Scotland Yard warns of an even darker underworld of "Kitbuilders" and "Scratchbuilders" who operate in fear of a nebulous organisation known as the "Finescale Police" - a band of thugs devoted to upholding their tribal standards. It is said that adherents of this extreme faction can be identified by the cyphers "P4" or "S7" branded on their left buttock. Many confess to having become addicted to "The Hobby" when still minors. 

*Also known as "The M---- Mob" and "The B---- Boys". 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Reports are coming in of a bank robbery in Barnard Castle. Durham Constabulary say they are looking for a suspect in full evening dress and top hat, last seen heading down The Sills with £250 in bagged new 2p coins in carrier bags marked "Rails of Sheffield".

Well I grew up in Barnard Castle and have never heard of The Sills - when I left school I had a summer job as a Postman and used to deliver mail to all of Startforth as well.  You live & learn.

9 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Well I grew up in Barnard Castle and have never heard of The Sills - when I left school I had a summer job as a Postman and used to deliver mail to all of Startforth as well.  You live & learn.

Well, my neighbour's a Barney postman, so I'll ask him if he knows where it is!

Just now, Edwardian said:

Well, my neighbour's a Barney postman, so I'll ask him if he knows where it is!

Well he may do - IIRC there were only a couple of properties along that stretch of road back in the 70's - I think it was just known as Boldon Lane.

A Postman colleague used to live in the detached house just over the bridge (to the right) - it was known then as 'Museum View' - had about as much view of the Bowes Museum as I do from here (50 miles North-East). Looking at google now, there's no sign of a house name any more.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bartram108 said:

Well, that's what it says on the map I was using. I can only claim a nodding acquaintance with Barnard Castle having visited the Bowes Museum several times and driven through a few more. I'm really overdue to visit the castle. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Or as might be "sung" on the Last Night of the Proms,

"Rule Brittannia,

Brittannia waives the rules..."

It used to be :

"Britannia rules the waves, America waives the rules"

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, that's what it says on the map I was using. I can only claim a nodding acquaintance with Barnard Castle having visited the Bowes Museum several times and driven through a few more. I'm really overdue to visit the castle. 

Or Bowes Castle ....

20200906_105209.jpg.1275cb77487b51308e572a268cb770cd.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We did in fact visit Bowes Castle last summer, along with Brough Castle, on our way back from Appleby. Appleby is always visited roughly half-way through our fortnight near Sedbergh, as it has the nearest known launderette. Our holiday in the North didn't happen this year, alas.

Edited by Compound2632

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

We did in fact visit Bowes Castle last summer, along with Brough Castle, on our way back from Appleby. Appleby is always visited roughly half-way through our fortnight near Sedbergh, as it has the nearest known launderette. Our holiday in the North didn't happen this year, alas.

I thought you were going to say because of the parallel, but not connected, NE and MR stations.

4 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Is that the one that the local real estate agent is offering as a renovator's delight?

Fine views, convenient for the A66 major east-west trunk route. Surprisingly light and airy interior. In need of modernisation.

Actually it occupies the NW corner of an old Roman fort.

Bleak though it is (see Snow Drift at Bleath Gill, 1955), the Stainmore Gap is the only way through to the west at this point.  The Romans, having marched up the A1(M) from York, would come to a fork at Scotch Corner Services.  Continue north, after jinking a little to the left of the present road, you would travel up Dere Street to intersect the Stanegate Line at Corbridge and then on to the Wall and through to the outposts to the north of it.

If your mission required travel to the western part of the Wall, then you took instead the left fork, and travel north-west from Scotch Corner to Carlisle.  This involved travelling through the pass in the hills we know as the Stainmore Gap, guarded at its south east by the fort at Bowes Castle.  

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Is that the one that the local real estate agent is offering as a renovator's delight?

Lady Anne Clifford had the choice of Bowes and Brough (also on the site of a Roman fort) and chose to renovate Brough.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

One of the reasons we knock off the "real".  Estate Agents deal in complete and utter fantasies.  I know, I'm trying to buy a house...

Fine views, convenient for the A66 major east-west trunk route. Surprisingly light and airy interior. In need of modernisation.

Mr Ed has the patter to a T!

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 5

And who could forget this?

87454377_DRTrain.jpg.ba7f2983a920a5574ce02e016e84c238.jpg

Nice to see that the villain thought to pad the rails for her...

The BBC had this shot in their news item, but changed it for a more dodgy one of Steed hooking his umberella in her top...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54106509

Edited by Hroth
there's a news report and an obit...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Beatrice?

1247597004_4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757compressed.jpg.d9fd98c07fbea577d03cabee047c8e94.jpg

Many years ago, when our sons were just turned five and nearly three, we had a week in Embsay staying in a terraced house just opposite the station. It became a pre-bedtime ritual with our younger son to walk over to the station to see the Green Percy quietly simmering away. 

• Like 4

How is everyone?

Having listened to self-appointed Wowser-in-Chief, Baroness Finlay, condemning, in increasingly hysterical tones, it seemed to me, the evils of Demon Alcohol on the wireless this lunchtime, I need a drink. 

I was reminded of my late pledge-signing Methodist Yorkshire Grandmother. I raise a glass to her. 

It seems we are in danger of being caught between the Devil of latter-day prohibitionists and the Deep Blue Sea of the libertarian politicians defending our right to get infected with Covid.

Is it just me, or does the World get madder by the day?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

69F127B5-C339-470E-9044-A8CD365FCD50.jpeg.97a18e89719d29b05ece9fa3d5bef46f.jpegIn response to your kind all round enquiry, I went into a pub for the first time this year, I myself personally this morning.  So I’m able to report the demon drink was really very good, just complete the trick or treat form, glug, glug, glug, aaahhhh.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4