• RMweb Gold

Below is an example of how a single group of buildings was cobbled together using printed texture of varying provenance:  

While I think of it, the pantiles on the marine store in this photo were made from a textured B&Q wall paper. It gives a nice uneven effect and of course there is masses of it on a roll.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/78879-the-four-sisters-at-old-brue-quay-832017/

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bonjour, c'est Routier du Nord ici! Mon ami Kevin 'e say ze ideal Norfolk line ees at Mont St Michel, naughty boy! But 'e has raison, oui! Go to where ze createurs des chateaux com from, n'est ce pas? Forget you obsessions wiz Wells et 'Unstanton - pouf! I geef you Andelys, Entretat, Carteret - formidable!

http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76745attachicon.gifIMG_0976.JPG

The link looks interesting but my schoolboy french is not up to it. The loco looks nice though.

Don

That

While I think of it, the pantiles on the marine store in this photo were made from a textured B&Q wall paper. It gives a nice uneven effect and of course there is masses of it on a roll.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/78879-the-four-sisters-at-old-brue-quay-832017/

That is brilliant.  I must find some of this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Running round via a turntable was common in Britain, France, and Spain, and probably elsewhere that I don't know about, until engines started to outgrow the turntables, at which time many were replaced by points. A long-surviving turntable run round is a strong indicator of a railway that disappointed its shareholders, by failing to attract enough traffic to need bigger engines.

But, some railways do seem to have been quite obsessive about running their tank engines forward wherever practicable. Was that just a fashion, or did the locos ride better, or did drivers find it more comfortable to work the regulator with their right hand (left on the GWR?), or ......

On short branches the effort of turning the loco would not be worth it as five minutes later it would need turning again. However on long branches it was done if possible. I believe the Fairford branch was one example.

Don

• RMweb Gold
post-8525-0-21833600-1468362696_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-47904400-1468362705_thumb.jpg

Snettish Beach and the filled in Former harbour of the WNR now just a lagoon behind the sea wall. Where the was once coal unloaded now a few shanties provided holidays for the fortunate. :nono:  :nono: 

Don 

• Like 5

Why was that then??attachicon.gifIMG_0977.JPG

Well, in a era that covered up bare table legs as indecent, I thought that I might get away with my apocryphal explanation!

On short branches the effort of turning the loco would not be worth it as five minutes later it would need turning again. However on long branches it was done if possible. I believe the Fairford branch was one example.

Don

Whereas, on the WNR a tank locomotive departing Castle Aching might take the branch to Achingham, which would probably be something like 15-18 miles away, as opposed to the 22 miles of the Fairford Branch, or work to north to the Birchoverhams, some 18-20 miles away, with the shortest route with the smallest engine being Wolfringham, probably around 15 miles away.

The little passenger tanks on the Isle of Wight, another inspiration for the West Norfolk, were,I am told, not turned, as I think theirs were fan-tables, if that is the correct description, acted as traversers and did not turn all the way around.

I suspect that the distances travelled on the West Norfolk were not the decisive factor, though sufficient to avoid the practice being too absurd.  I am sure that the practice was abandoned at some point in the 1920s, though Kevin may be able to correct me there, certainly so far as Wolfringham is concerned.    

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That

That is brilliant.  I must find some of this.

The ridges are 3.5mm apart roughly. I thought that I had the stock number, but I can't seem to find it. However I have a lot stashed away so I could let you have some. The easiest way would be in A4 sheets, with the ridges running across the shorter dimension. Unlike London where fire breaks on roofs are mandatory, more rural terraces are often continuous, so wide sheets mean that you can do a long run without joins. At the back of my Highbridge diorama, Newtown Road has several short terraces, so I shall be using the wallpaper for them.

• Like 2

Snettish Beach and the filled in Former harbour of the WNR now just a lagoon behind the sea wall. Where the was once coal unloaded now a few shanties provided holidays for the fortunate. :nono:  :nono:

Don 

That gives me a great idea of the look of the place, never having visited that part of the coast. Thanks.

• Like 2

As you may recall, the reason on the WNR was that one of the directors' wives considered that running bunker first lacked propriety.

Could the drivers prefer the (very modest) protection from the elements afforded by the cab front plate when running smokebox leading?

Apart from goods yards (and I can't think of an example of hand, but there must be many) I don't recall a wagon / loco turntable also doubling as a sector plate as shown at Mont-Saint-Michel in post 3270. A real space-saver!

The ridges are 3.5mm apart roughly. I thought that I had the stock number, but I can't seem to find it. However I have a lot stashed away so I could let you have some. The easiest way would be in A4 sheets, with the ridges running across the shorter dimension. Unlike London where fire breaks on roofs are mandatory, more rural terraces are often continuous, so wide sheets mean that you can do a long run without joins. At the back of my Highbridge diorama, Newtown Road has several short terraces, so I shall be using the wallpaper for them.

You are a gentleman, Phil, though I don't want to leave you short, a sample to play with would be welcome.

The advantage of the Scalescenes sheets were that I could print them out in different sizes to suit the perspective effect.  Now, however, I have reached the part of the village to be built full size, so this advantage falls away.  To be quite frank, my method of pantiling over formers is a colossal bore, and I have been thinking whether there was a sympathetic alternative.  You may just have handed the answer to me!

If we could identify this product, I could ship it in by the village-load.

Hmm, fishing village on the Cleveland coast would become a future possibility .... 

post-25673-0-26609400-1493225946.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That gives me a great idea of the look of the place, never having visited that part of the coast. Thanks.

The next lagoon down is the RSPB nature reserve I think. I have some more of the shanties and one of the next lagoon down you are welcome to copies if you send me a PM with your email (some of Wells too if wanted) or I can send a CD if the bandwidth is an issue.  Now if I had known you wanted them for the WNR I would have taken one of the bridge where the road crossed over the GER branch. I did walk down to the shop by the bridge.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You are a gentleman, Phil, though I don't want to leave you short, a sample to play with would be welcome.

The advantage of the Scalescenes sheets were that I could print them out in different sizes to suit the perspective effect.  Now, however, I have reached the part of the village to be built full size, so this advantage falls away.  To be quite frank, my method of pantiling over formers is a colossal bore, and I have been thinking whether there was a sympathetic alternative.  You may just have handed the answer to me!

Hmm, fishing village on the Cleveland coast would become a future possibility .... 

Watch your letter box on Friday or Saturday.

• Like 3

For those familiar with the area, the locale upon which I've based Wolfingham/Wolfringham Harbour, when it isn't Mont St Michel, is south of Snettisham Beach, and south of the lagoons there, which are actually WW2-era shingle-pits, rather than at those lagoons. The Shepherdsport Grand Hotel is assumed to at the northern end of the lagoons, actually not far from Snettisham GER station.

The shingle-pits were dug earlier in my fictionalisation, to feed aggregate to concrete works and patent-stone works, which were developed on the doorstep of the hotel, starting in the 1910s, and prospering until the 1950s.

From what I can discover, there actually was a wharf, where Wolferton sluice and pumping station now are, a couple of centuries ago ...... but, the coastline has changed hugely over the years, so that thousands of years ago it was actually at the foot of the Sandringham eminence, so pinning exact locations at any date before the creation of sea-defences is a tad difficult, which feels about right for a fictional place!

Anyway, I'll drop the topic for now, and cease creating wharves in the marsh, for fear of distracting from our Chairman's castle in the air (well high-up, if not actually in the air).

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Wolferton pumping station, I had the rare opportunity to go into about 20 years back on work experience with the drainage board. Inside are a pair of open crank single cylinder horizontal Ruston's driving pumps. These are now the standby pumps, the actual pumping being done by electric pumps.

They were beautifully maintained, with that lovely shine of oil over the working surfaces and the paintwork with oil wiped into it....

Hummmm.

Andy G

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, fishing village on the Cleveland coast would become a future possibility ...

One roll of wallpaper is roughly 10 metres long by 0.5 metres wide = 5 square metres - how big is your village????

• Like 1

Andy

You mentioned that before .......are they still there, and, if so, is there any way that a visit could be arranged?

I'm hatching a plot to take a trip up that way soon, partly because (shameful confession coming) I've never been to Castle Rising or Castle Acre.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I would be surprised if they have been replaced, but the best way is to call the Water Management Alliance offices in King's Lynn on 01553 819600. If you ask for the engineer responsible for wolferton pumping station I would think that you would be able to find out whats still about, and if they would be able to accommodate you..

I would think that you could have a good day out just visiting various pump stations!

If you go to Castle Rising theres a good tea shop in the village (called Unique), about 5mins walk from the Castle.

I once spent half a day in Castle Acre telephone exchange with a power guy. We arrived and boiled the kettle and had tea. He then removed the cover of the consumer unit and wired in an extension lead. Out came two 3 Kw fan heaters. The mains incomer to the exchange was then isolated and we started to count... within 30 seconds the standby engine set was churning itself into action, and within a minute the voltage had settled down and the load of the System X exchange was sat on the genny. As this was well within the rated output of the genny, the first of the fan heaters was turned on, and then the second. This made the engineset work harder than normal, which in turn turned the exhaust to a dark claggy colour. We then left it to run for a couple of hours to make sure that the engine got hot, and that everything was working as it should, and that the exhaust had actually cleared back to a clear colour. Then the mains incomer was turned back on to make sure that the engine-set shut itself down properly..

I know how to live it up I tell you!

Andy G

Edit I see that Wolfterton has three pumps, one diesel of 1943 (so one of the rustons is still there) and two electrics of 1964

• Like 5

I'm hatching a plot to take a trip up that way soon, partly because (shameful confession coming) I've never been to Castle Rising or Castle Acre.

Kevin

Kevin,

Do go if you can.  It's a really lovely part of the world and Castles Rising and Acre are well-worth the trip.  Castle Acre Priory is a great site.

I miss not being close enough to make field tips (sorry, family days out) to Norfolk!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would be surprised if they have been replaced, but the best way is to call the Water Management Alliance offices in King's Lynn on 01553 819600. If you ask for the engineer responsible for wolferton pumping station I would think that you would be able to find out whats still about, and if they would be able to accommodate you..

I would think that you could have a good day out just visiting various pump stations!

If you go to Castle Rising theres a good tea shop in the village (called Unique), about 5mins walk from the Castle.

I once spent half a day in Castle Acre telephone exchange with a power guy. We arrived and boiled the kettle and had tea. He then removed the cover of the consumer unit and wired in an extension lead. Out came two 3 Kw fan heaters. The mains incomer to the exchange was then isolated and we started to count... within 30 seconds the standby engine set was churning itself into action, and within a minute the voltage had settled down and the load of the System X exchange was sat on the genny. As this was well within the rated output of the genny, the first of the fan heaters was turned on, and then the second. This made the engineset work harder than normal, which in turn turned the exhaust to a dark claggy colour. We then left it to run for a couple of hours to make sure that the engine got hot, and that everything was working as it should, and that the exhaust had actually cleared back to a clear colour. Then the mains incomer was turned back on to make sure that the engine-set shut itself down properly..

I know how to live it up I tell you!

Andy G

Edit I see that Wolfterton has three pumps, one diesel of 1943 (so one of the rustons is still there) and two electrics of 1964

A bit OT but did they keep the engine/generator sets used for the strowager exchanges when they converted an exchange to system X. That would account for the fan heaters to give the engine a decent load.

Don

• Like 3

Jim,

Welcome and thank you for reading, and rating, and for posting.  Your perseverance is nothing short of admirable.

To attempt to answer your query, I have, thus far, just used Photo and Word.  I need to master Photoshop, or planned structures such as the school, station and parish church will be impossible. Thus far I have been able to use photographs taken square on with minimum distortion, and, of course, I freely adapt and combine photographs with downloaded textures.

That said, three or four buildings were derived from photographs kindly supplied by fellow parishioners, a couple of which were manipulated for me in Photoshop. 

So far I have used a combination of crude techniques:

- The Photo program allows me play with the light and colour.  If a picture is taken on a dull day, or is of the shady side of the street, I lighten it.  I can increase or reduce saturation and enhance chosen colours if lightening alone does not work.

- I copy the picture and paste in Word.  I size it on screen (dragging on the corners of the image) by the high-tech method of ensuring that the page view is 100% and holding a ruler up to the screen!

- In Word I can crop the picture.  Sometimes I make copies of details - e.g. brickwork for window reveals or to replace areas of masonry obscured by modern accretions - signs, burglar alarms, tree shadow or a parked car. My problem is that I then have physically to cut and paste these elements in paper and card.  If I knew Photoshop, I could probably stitch them into the image itself.

- You can also flip an image to a mirror of itself in Word and paste images next to each other without any gaps to create a larger area.  That way, for instance, I have created an entire A4 sheet of brickwork taken from one small area of Castle Acre's Post Office.  Again, it would doubtless be better to do something like this in something like Photoshop, but it is possible in Word.

- I paste the copies of the windows on a separate page of the document, as this will get printed out on a self-adhesive label sheet, so that the windows can be stuck on acetate (well, any bit of clear plastic packaging, really) in due course.  I then cut out the label representing the glass panes and peel them off. 

- I save the Word document as a pdf, because, that way, I can print it off at any percentage of the original size.  This is important for me, because most of what I have made so far is smaller than 4mm scale, in a desperate attempt to provide a sense of perspective.

- Finally, I can manipulate the balance and intensity of the colours on my printer to a limited extent.  The difference between pantiles (background) printed on "Natural" and pantiles (foreground) printed on "Vivid" is very noticeable.   

- I have not used any fancy paper for printing, but use some redundant office letter-head paper, which is nice and thick, seems to take the ink well and is free!

Below is an example of how a single group of buildings was cobbled together using printed texture of varying provenance:  

Edwardian, like Jim 15B and many others I have enjoyed your Castle Aching saga. Noting your approach to adjusting photographs I wondered whether you had tried using a ruse I have found useful.

1. I save the picture as a j.peg and make a copy for adjustment
  2. I then open the copy into paint.net and make the changes I require, making sure that I frequently save the development en route.

If you are aware of this I apologise for wasting good modelling time. Thanks again for your erudite posts.

• Like 4

Edwardian, like Jim 15B and many others I have enjoyed your Castle Aching saga. Noting your approach to adjusting photographs I wondered whether you had tried using a ruse I have found useful.

1. I save the picture as a j.peg and make a copy for adjustment
  2. I then open the copy into paint.net and make the changes I require, making sure that I frequently save the development en route.

If you are aware of this I apologise for wasting good modelling time. Thanks again for your erudite posts.

Thank you.  No, I have been blissfully unaware of paint.net, so will check it out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit OT but did they keep the engine/generator sets used for the strowager exchanges when they converted an exchange to system X. That would account for the fan heaters to give the engine a decent load.

Don

The original power plants were sadly scrapped with the strowger (oh how I would like a set to go with my uax12) and were replaced with ones in silence cabinets, so that when you walked in the uax you aren't deafened when they are running. Interestingly at the larger sites ( ie non-director town exchanges) the original power plants survived, mainly I suppose because they were in a separate power room.

Andy g

• Like 2