Seeing as I've got the big 'puter back and its the JA appreciation hour, I had a look for the "Wet-tshirt" style shot.  Having found it, I decided that it was a bit too much to (re?)post....

Too tittilating, if you get my drift!

I've just been doing a little research, and if you go back to post #4459 in these parish records, you'll find the original posting. Definitely not suitable garb for a chilly January evening!

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as I've got the big 'puter back and its the JA appreciation hour, I had a look for the "Wet-tshirt" style shot.  Having found it, I decided that it was a bit too much to (re?)post....

Too tittilating, if you get my drift!

With such classy women as Jenny, Jenna (and dare I add Lauren Cohan?) there is no need for such tittilating.

Although I am quite happy to offer my services to see if it would be suitable.

• RMweb Premium

Electrikery is simple. The electrons are very small demons. In a battery there is a large demon whipping the electrons to push them out of the negative terminal but they will not go unless there is a path round to the positive terminal. 

Voltage is the measure of how strong the whipping is.

Amperage is the measure of the amount of the electron demons can be pushed down the wire

Resistance is the measure of the difficulty of getting through a bit of wire and how much friction the is from them pushing through which warms the wire up.

In our models the electron demons passing through the motor have to push the armature round making the loco move.

A short circuit is where there is a short cut enabling the demons to miss the motor out.

A Dis is where the wire is broken or missing so the path for the demons is blocked.

A bad joint is nearly a Dis the path is unreliable.

Don

The other thing is that the demons are made of smoke. If you let the smoke escape everything will stop working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also don't forget that DC grabs hold of you, and AC throws you clear...

I don't know if I'm the only one that works in fuseboards (whether live or not) with one hand (on insulated tools) and the other in my back pocket....

My Power Plant 227 (50 v DC with 130A/hr batteries attached) potentially is lethal, although at least it doesn't matter if I turn my telephone exchange off, when I worked for BT I used to hold DC live working certificates, which allowed me to change batteries and rectifers, and add cables, all with the power plant churning away. Having seen others drop things and cause big bangs, and fires, you learn to treat it with real respect.

I wish I could find a copy of the old BT training film made by the Power Test Section, that was shown as part of the live working training. Three Power Plant 2020's (each one capable of 130 Amps off the mains, and another 300 Amps off the batteries!) were connected in parallel (that's 1300Amps!) and then various fault conditions were created (from internal wiring faults to direct shorts on the output busbars), the fireworks and bangs were something else.

Everyone on Exchange work has been told or seen the vanishing crowbar dropped across a busbar... the thing just vaporises!

Andy G

I would rely on that first bit often a 50v bite in the exchange resulted in my hand jerking away and 240v will not always make you let go. Admittedly the only person I know who has hit by 33Kv did find himeself 12ft from the cable. The hacking knife melting probably saved his life.

Good policy I don't put my other hand but am continuously conscious of not creating a path across my chest. Use screwdrivers with insulated shanks and stand on a rubber mat if possible.

In 1969 the Zone switching centre in Reading was based on a load of 2000 amps the two batteries (one on one off) each had a capacity to deliver 2000amps for ten hours  the 2v cells were very large. This was a strowager electromechanical  unit. Probably the digital one today could run off a couple of truck batteries. One had to be careful if wearing a metal wristwatch band certainly best not on your writing hand. The photo we were shown of the burnt stump was a stark warning. In those days there was no micro surgery but even today stitching back charred flesh would not be likely to succeed. 

The GPO/BT were quite fond of these horror movies but it was peoples real experiences that were most shocking including my own when I had badly scratched my cornea (failing to wear google while recovering drop wire) the union chap insisted on recording it as a industrial accident and remarked it was his second eye incident that week the other was someone getting out of a cab close to a hedge and a hawthorn spike going through the eye. That gentleman was less lucky than me.

Don  

• RMweb Gold

It's all pounds-feet and newton-metres to me! :)   I do have a passing acquaintance with volts, amps, and ohms, but these measures I am told do not apply in the Welsh Valleys. 

edit sorry foot-pounds, it is a hemispherical thing.... like the way water goes down a plug-hole.

I could arrange a demonstration to change their opinions! 

Don 

• RMweb Gold

Apologies James et al (who is this Al guy anyway?)  When I made the above response I didn't realise that it wouldn't appear until 2 pages later!  I should have know, such is the speed with which this thread moves.  Probably faster than the trains on the WNR!    I must pay more attention when I return from a meeting of our area group.

Jim

The result of things moving so fast is we end up with several conversations running in parallel 

Don

Nice photo of the Wagon-Restaurant of the Peninsular and Oriental Express (Calais-Brindisi) with its crew, maybe around 1920 but looks older to me -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32253634@N05/4067500289

Could well be right Tom.  The change from varnished teak to Blue was IIRC in the 20s so teak coaches could probably have been found until the early 30s - even given CIWL penchant for overhauling their stock on a very regular basis

Wagon-Lit services in 1920 would be provided by pre-War stock, and these were clerestories with matchboard sides, just like your picture.  IIRC, the first steel bodied cars, S type, were built from 1922 and the LXs from 1929.

These steel cars were built in various factories throughout Europe, and several batches were built in England.  They would have made interesting out of gauge traffic on their way to the ports.  Some went via Immingham, I believe. 

CIWL had an English chairman at the time, and was part of the same group as Thomas Cook, which, I suspect, was instrumental in drumming up train de luxe trade.

Now, just to show that I do not only think of JA as a bloomer-waving younger woman:

post-25673-0-29312400-1515885719_thumb.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would rely on that first bit often a 50v bite in the exchange resulted in my hand jerking away and 240v will not always make you let go. Admittedly the only person I know who has hit by 33Kv did find himeself 12ft from the cable. The hacking knife melting probably saved his life.

Good policy I don't put my other hand but am continuously conscious of not creating a path across my chest. Use screwdrivers with insulated shanks and stand on a rubber mat if possible.

In 1969 the Zone switching centre in Reading was based on a load of 2000 amps the two batteries (one on one off) each had a capacity to deliver 2000amps for ten hours  the 2v cells were very large. This was a strowager electromechanical  unit. Probably the digital one today could run off a couple of truck batteries. One had to be careful if wearing a metal wristwatch band certainly best not on your writing hand. The photo we were shown of the burnt stump was a stark warning. In those days there was no micro surgery but even today stitching back charred flesh would not be likely to succeed. 

The GPO/BT were quite fond of these horror movies but it was peoples real experiences that were most shocking including my own when I had badly scratched my cornea (failing to wear google while recovering drop wire) the union chap insisted on recording it as a industrial accident and remarked it was his second eye incident that week the other was someone getting out of a cab close to a hedge and a hawthorn spike going through the eye. That gentleman was less lucky than me.

Don  

British Rail Engineering Ltd also used to show a series of photos to new starters at the works, usually people who had had hands or limbs crushed by presses or the like.

One very effective safety notice that I recall said something like "Protect your eyes. You're down to your last pair". Another, even more succinct, read "No helmet. No boots. No job. No buts".

• Like 1

I’m really impressed that you managed to bend/straighten the rail without the whole thing falling apart

Not so hard, as I can just pull the rails out of the chairs in order to adjust the bend. 

I am glad I have been learning on chaired bull head turnouts thus far.

Some of the adjustments that I have needed to make would not have been so easy were the rail soldered to copper-clad PCB sleepers.

• Like 3

British Rail Engineering Ltd also used to show a series of photos to new starters at the works, usually people who had had hands or limbs crushed by presses or the like.

One very effective safety notice that I recall said something like "Protect your eyes. You're down to your last pair". Another, even more succinct, read "No helmet. No boots. No job. No buts".

I recall seeing a most instructive film about loose clothing and machinery, one section with reference to ties and lathes was particularly distressing and caused some fainting incidents in the viewing I attended. (I was told by one of the lecturers that this was quite common...)

I once ended up head first in the rose bushes thanks to slug - trod on it whilst still half asleep whilst walking down the garden path.

I once answered the door to a 6 foot beetle, who proceeded to beat me up quite badly.

When I went to the doctor's, he said there was a nasty bug going round.

• RMweb Gold

You really need to watch your step there.

Sorry, will add “allegedly”, and refer to “some lawyers”.

(Which proves the point, when you think about it.)

I am aware of what Edwardian does for a living, too.

• Like 2