• RMweb Premium

The shape of the step behind the leading wheel's axlebox gave me a clue as to the designer and the railway, but otherwise I'm all out of ideas.

Edited by Annie

• RMweb Premium

A T19 with the later boiler?  No no no, - the sandbox on the front of the splasher and a hint of a large driving wheel. - it's a D27.

7005_088.jpg

• Like 3

A T19 with the later boiler?  No no no, - the sandbox on the front of the splasher and a hint of a large driving wheel. - it's a D27.

7005_088.jpg

I think you've got it if you blow them both up they both have a distinctive double hand rail knobs side by side on the smoke box sides and the spring and axle box detail looks identical plus as you pointed out the start of the sandbox pretty much seals it for me.

Steve

• Like 3

7005_088.jpg

Yes, well done!

And that was pretty much my thought process exactly!

Beautiful, aren't they?

post-25673-0-00633000-1526817617.jpg

post-25673-0-91367800-1526818093_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-30251700-1526818132_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Our sheep here in the East are normal, what the ~@*# have you been feeding yours?

The conventional reply is....

Southerners, boots'n'all!

Here is a picture of a NER E1 Class.  For the Heathen Groupers amongst you, that means "J72".

It's in NE green, Wilson Worsdell stylee.

It's at York.

I came across it in the context of answering posts by Linny and Annie on Annie's virtual thread. 

I post it again here.

Why?

Because, from the point of view of the Castle Aching parish, it features something even more interesting than the E1, in the form of the locomotive behind it. 

What I like is that the boilers seem to merge to form a genetically engineered hybrid.....

Apart from that, I'd prefer a T26 Intermediate anyhow.

• RMweb Premium

Do I get my GER fan girl club badge now?  CiGqXXb.png

After looking at Worsdell engines so much lately I had to shift a few gears in my head to solve that puzzle.

• Like 3

I reckon that would be a very easy scratch build based on a modified Lord of the isles/Caledonian single chassis.

Tempting!

An interesting alternative to a T19 for London-Hunstanton expresses (if I ever model Wolferton) or specials running to the WNR?

Clearly originally they tackled bigger stuff e.g. expresses to York, but by 1905 the survivors would have been  on secondary duties.  As the last was withdrawn in 1907, I might just be able to justify one on CA.

Incidentally, the picture at York cannot be earlier than the first batch of E1s (1898-99, IIRC). 

Do I get my GER fan girl club badge now?  CiGqXXb.png

After looking at Worsdell engines so much lately I had to shift a few gears in my head to solve that puzzle.

You, and London Tram, to the top of the class.

Yes, making you look at a Holden rather than a Worsdell there!

Model of York at the turn of the Century?

Not so many companies as used Carlisle, but, still, NER, GNR and GER. Lot of my interests seem to coincide at York.  And, of course, I travel to and through York station quite a bit these days; it is a stunning structure.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

Cut the Triang chassis back at the front and cut the bogie down to a single axle bogie. I'd keep it as a bogie the out side frames will hide this fact and you gain a lot more flexibility on tight bends and points. Looking at the tender the Caley tender chassis with say a GBL T9 tank with a bit of work would make a good tender for it the rest of the body is although ellegent is also quite simple so shouldn't cause any problems to scratch build it might even be possible to use the Caley smoke box if the wings are removed.

As long as your not a rivit counter you could make a fairly good representation of the loco

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

But... You can barely see the locomotive behind the E1. 1748 is clearly the focus of the picture.

Illustrating the problems these early photographers had - by the time they'd set up the big plate camera to photograph a really interesting scene, some curmudgeon of an engine driver had parked his steed right slap bang in the middle blocking the view. Happens time and again. Most frustrating.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You, and London Tram, to the top of the class.

Yes, making you look at a Holden rather than a Worsdell there!

Model of York at the turn of the Century?

Not so many companies as used Carlisle, but, still, NER, GNR and GER. Lot of my interests seem to coincide at York.  And, of course, I travel to and through York station quite a bit these days; it is a stunning structure.

Minor lines all. You wouldn't have been there long at the turn of the old century without the eye being drawn to the Midland expresses as well as the trains of plum-and-spilt-milk LNWR carriages working the Liverpool-Newcastle services. There would have been vehicles working south off the North British too. A few years later, there would be L&Y and Great Central trains too. 

Apart from the Midland, which stabled engines at York, I'm not sure if engines of any of these companies would have been seen. I don't think LNWR engines worked beyond Leeds? 

• RMweb Premium

It would be quite a challenge to do a model giving even a “selective compression” of York station in pregroup days. A look at the original terminus station is more modellable, although I reckon it must have been seriously congested from the day it opened. Nice setting inside the town wall and a terminus, with Fletcher engines, too.

post-26540-0-55700500-1526822127.jpeg

• Like 11

I reckon that would be a very easy scratch build based on a modified Lord of the isles/Caledonian single chassis.

If you're going to dice up a LotI then you may as well go the whole hog and admit you're trying to turn it back into the original Achilles 3001 class 2-2-2 (Yep - their achilles heel....  hehehe).  It'd be best to do it to a Caly Single anyhow as its a boring show-off singleton loco, although you wouldn't have an outside frame bogie to help you.

Btw - have you seen how much even an elderly Triang LotI costs, let alone the more recent Hornby versions?

• Like 2

Blasphemy! BURN HIM!

Nonono.......

We don't do that nowadays, we have to be inclusive and appreciative of the point of view of minorities.  What I would suggest is an enforced stay at somewhere like, ummmmm, Melton Constable?

• RMweb Premium

Nonono.......

We don't do that nowadays, we have to be inclusive and appreciative of the point of view of minorities.  What I would suggest is an enforced stay at somewhere like, ummmmm, Melton Constable?

Minority? 62,000 D299 5-plank opens would beg to differ.

Minor lines all.

What a rude man, boys and girls.

He must have got carried away with all those stylish Atlantics and with running the premier route between the Capital and Scotland.  On, no, wait a minute, that wasn't the Midland, was it?

Apart from the Midland, which stabled engines at York, I'm not sure if engines of any of these companies would have been seen. I don't think LNWR engines worked beyond Leeds? 

I believe that that GNR locos routinely worked as far as York, rather than changeover at Doncaster. 

Taken at a location that I take to be York's South Shed, I have seen photographs of:

- MR No. 1624

- GER 4-2-2, No.18

- GNR Small Atlantic, No. 984

Immediately south of York station:

- GCR Director No.438

- MR 2-4-0, No.195 

Anyway, I should think pre-Grouping York in 4mm would be just the sort of quickie project I could fit in around work on CA ..

post-25673-0-93869100-1526831083_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

What a splendid picture. Note the Midland clerestory carriages at the near right.

Edit: Curiosity about the trackwork. There are crossed ladders of double slips giving access to all running lines from all platform roads - but not quite. One on each side is a single slip, with a crossover nearer the platforms for the route that could have been provided by the missing side of the single slip. Why?

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Pre-grouping, the LYR had running powers into York, too. Not sure, but I think the LNWR didn’t, as they stopped at Doncaster.

The D27s and T19s were interesting. In theory the singles were freer runners, and the four coupled engines better haulers, but in practice ‘twas t’other way about.

There is a D27, in oil burning format, on East Lynn, and very graceful it is, too. (There is also a T26 - with working inside motion - but sadly no plans to complete the trio with a T19.)

Minority? 62,000 D299 5-plank opens would beg to differ.

And the swarm of tiny engines to pull them!

I rest my case....

What a rude man, boys and girls.

He must have got carried away with all those stylish Atlantics and with running the premier route between the Capital and Scotland.  On, no, wait a minute, that wasn't the Midland, was it?

I believe that that GNR locos routinely worked as far as York, rather than changeover at Doncaster. 

Taken at a location that I take to be York's South Shed, I have seen photographs of:

- MR No. 1624

- GER 4-2-2, No.18

- GNR Small Atlantic, No. 984

Immediately south of York station:

- GCR Director No.438

- MR 2-4-0, No.195 

Anyway, I should think pre-Grouping York in 4mm would be just the sort of quickie project I could fit in around work on CA ..

What neat, clean trackwork!

(You might be able to do something with the old terminus....)

• RMweb Premium

Some more visitors to York, three at York south shed, with another Stratford lurker, and one at the south end of the station. About the track layout there, the approach from the south was quad track back to Church Fenton, so the single slip plus crossover allowed you to provide “parallel routes” into the station.

post-26540-0-27112800-1526842343_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-47266800-1526842361_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10