Hmmmm....

The chap who looks like a sporting clergyman holding the four dogs, looks like a Ridcully - I suppose it must be Hughnon, Mustrum would be wearing something rather more flashy....

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hmmmm....

The chap who looks like a sporting clergyman holding the four dogs, looks like a Ridcully - I suppose it must be Hughnon, Mustrum would be wearing something rather more flashy....

Wouldn’t the dog be called “Smite the unbeliever with cunning arguments” in that case? 

I’ve never pictured Mustrum Ridcully as a flashy dresser; I always picture him in some sort of tweedy outfit, “much bedizened with horn and cairngorms” to quote another author entirely. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Wouldn’t the dog be called “Smite the unbeliever with cunning arguments” in that case?  

I doubt it, Hughnon was Chief Priest of Blind Io, not an Omnian.

As for Mustrum (Ridcully the Brown, but I feel that was a recognition of his sporting prowess as a student), even he would appear more wizardly especially at a dog show, if only to remind the judges that they could end up as frogs...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I doubt it, Hughnon was Chief Priest of Blind Io, not an Omnian.

As for Mustrum (Ridcully the Brown, but I feel that was a recognition of his sporting prowess as a student), even he would appear more wizardly especially at a dog show, if only to remind the judges that they could end up as frogs...

There is that, yes. 

I'd always thought that Mustrum was a parody of Tolkien's Radagast The Brown

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I’ve never pictured Mustrum Ridcully as a flashy dresser; I always picture him in some sort of tweedy outfit, “much bedizened with horn and cairngorms” to quote another author entirely. 

You know, I've always pictured Ridcully dressed kind of like that too. Sort of an Edwardian hunter look.

1 minute ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

You know, I've always pictured Ridcully dressed kind of like that too. Sort of an Edwardian hunter look.

Exactly, including a huge Ulster with multiple capes and flaps... and of course the hat, which is described in detail..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just because there was, a few posts earlier, a brick building with a central pediment and talk of matters of religion, I rather like this sign in central London.

Commit no nuisance.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Well, of course we are into the plagues of Egypt here, so the frog-name is a quote straight out of Exodus.

In Djelibebi they had a plague of frog, which got into the ventilation ducts and kept everyone awake at night...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Just because there was, a few posts earlier, a brick building with a central pediment and talk of matters of religion, I rather like this sign in central London.

Commit no nuisance.jpg

My favourite is this, in every Tesco store:

Security.jpg.83cad34e555196d584e158ee9b3195e5.jpg

The poor phrasing makes me chuckle.

• Funny 5

16 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

I tend to go up to the door, pat it and say "There, there, things will get better."  It seems so much calmer afterwards...

14 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Yeah, I remember that one. Pyramids is weird, even for Discworld.

Mathematical camels, bonkers Ephebian philosophers, The Wooden Horses......

(At present, I've just started re-reading Night Watch, as the events in its timeline coincide with my birthday!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

18 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

A patient of mine used to stand just inside the door of ASDA wearing a badge with 'Greeter' on it.  i used to ask her what she was greetin' about today!  :jester:

Jim

• Funny 9

29 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Yeah, I remember that one. Pyramids is weird, even for Discworld.

16 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Not to mention reality-warping pyramids.

Pyramids, a sort of Mornington Crescent moment for Castle Aching .... Aching Hall Station

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

A patient of mine used to stand just inside the door of ASDA wearing a badge with 'Greeter' on it.  i used to ask her what she was greetin' about today!  :jester:

Jim

Are you sure it wasn't just a mis-spelt name badge? Although I suppose if you were her dentist you would know if her name was Greta.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Grandpa Sutters took a photo of a Pyramid and a Sphinx. He can be seen on the left in the other photo. I have no idea why that location was chosen! He was out in Egypt installing electricity in the Abbassia Barracks. I believe that in subsequent years some of the prisoners held there may have regretted that he did, as his wiring may have been used for purposes not described in the original spec.

At the Virgins Tree Materieh c1913.jpg

Sphinx c1913.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

My Sphinx has no nose!

How does she smell?

Terrible!

boom boom....

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

God, I'd totally forgotten about that!

I'd forgotten there was a Page 20!

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Are you sure it wasn't just a mis-spelt name badge? Although I suppose if you were her dentist you would know if her name was Greta.

Her name was Sandra and she had it on a separate badge!   :P

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Commit no nuisance.jpg

The expression appears in that sense in "Goodbye To All That", in the context of a farcical defaulters parade in which a soldier is charged with "committing a nuisance upon the parade ground" whilst drunk. 

6 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

The expression appears in that sense in "Goodbye To All That", in the context of a farcical defaulters parade in which a soldier is charged with "committing a nuisance upon the parade ground" whilst drunk. 

"With an Effort..."

• Like 1

I was sitting reading in my study, towards the end of an evening in early May, when a sudden movement on the stairs outside the door startled me. There was no sound of footsteps but a new, and rather alarming, shadow had been thrown onto the wall of the stairwell by the lamp on the floor below. It was the unmistakable outline of a person, wearing a broad-brimmed hat and some long and shapeless garment, motionless now, but seemingly poised to advance.

Slowly, and as silently as I was able, I slid open the drawer of my desk, taking up the handgun that lay in the rear righthand corner.

"Hello?", I ventured.

"Ah, you're there Nearholm! Thank the good Lord! Come on down now; I'm too jaded to climb yet another flight."

I put the gun down and let out my breath, an exhalation that combined relief from immediate alarm and resignation to alarms that would surely follow.

"Think of the O'Doolite, and he shall appear. A picture of a pyramid just reminded me of you, and .... well, ......". I went down to greet him, taking care as he had done to tread lightly, so as not to wake my children.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Not just in Tesco. I've seen that sign in other places too but to be fair "this door is fitted with an alarm" is far more wordy.

I always liked the scrawled comment

"Bill Stickers is Innocent" I've never since been able to see "Bill Stickers will be Prosecuted" without chuckling.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

If I have caused us to wander off into the funny signs thread's territory, the mention of Tesco's reminds me of this, which should prove hard to enforce as it was intended.

Parking is NOT prohibitied Seaford 22 6 2017 2000px.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Funny 7