22 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Thank you Compound - now I'm wondering how those two actually fitted through the door. Perhaps it was necessary to remove the side just to get them in.

Or they didn’t read the little sticker about not pulling the inflation tag before leaving the fuselage?

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I'm sure that painting is recycled but I can't remember what was said last time about the clothing. That may also be recycled - the words, not the clothing.

Jonathan

Twice, both with reference to Egg's loose association with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood: 14 July 2017 and 2 Nov 2018. In both cases, the linked post et seq., though as usual interspersed with other material. It's like having a conversation at a crowded party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2019 at 13:17, Talltim said:

Have you joined a model railway club?

Interesting. He'd said, once bitten twice shy, or words to that effect.

Apologies for dredging that up. I found it whilst looking back for previous discussion of the Tenway Junction, also in connection with a painting of a lady in elaborate travelling dress. As previously, linked post et seq.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Twice, both with reference to Egg's loose association with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood: 14 July 2017 and 2 Nov 2018. In both cases, the linked post et seq., though as usual interspersed with other material. It's like having a conversation at a crowded party.

Augustus Leopold Egg, what a corker! Worth a link just for that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

... or fast like Trappists...

So is that another religious connection to the railways. The Trappists introduced the first express services?

The vow of silence must have brought some confusion to their station announcements.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ChrisN said:

A colleague of mine who is in his late thirties, who has lived most of his life in rural Norfolk told me recently that one eighty year old from his village, and 'it was not that long ago' had only been out of the village three times in her life, twice to the market town, and once further afield but never outside Norfolk.  When asked what she thought of the market town she said that, 'she did not like it much'.

I fully believe that. When living at Easthope on the Wenlock Edge our elderly neighbours were 80. The lady had been born in the house she was living in and had never spent a night away from it. The furthest she had been was Shrewsbury the county town. This was mid 1970s.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That's the revised version. The original was somewhat controversial:

775023888_A_SolomonFirst_Class-_The_Meeting_and_at_First_Meeting_Loved._Abraham_Solomon.jpg.acb482bd5b75d916a81b0089fda02cb7.jpg

And in any case, that's part 2 of 2. Our naval hero travelled out second class:

3364435_Abraham_Solomon_-_Second_Class_-_The_Parting.__Thus_part_we_rich_in_sorrow_parting_poor.__-_Google_Art_Project.jpg.32c7b93db01aee4e8fb57a43a4ca49c3.jpg

Abraham Solomon exhibited these in 1854; any ideas on carriage identification? One would assume the journeys are to and from Portsmouth.

Very pleased that you posted this, Stephen.

I knew the story, that the original version with Pa asleep was scandalous, but had not seen it until now. 

The pair (as modified) can be seen at the NRM 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

.. in the painting posted above that young Jackie Fisher has the apprehensive look of someone who may have decided that perhaps a job as a clerk might be preferable to becoming a sailor and naval hero. 

stick close to your desk and never go to sea

And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Better? Or has the artist removed the whole carriage side?

Augustus_Leopold_Egg_-_The_Travelling_Companions_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg.0edbc83c75148dfcc9cffa230ca9e160.jpg

BTW I don't think that's Torquay.

One of the CA favourites, isn't one interpretation that it portrays the same young lady, on the right outward bound, reading an improving book, glove'd with innocent roses beside her. To the left, homeward bound with experience of the world, gloveless, and a basket laden with the "Fruit Of Knowledge" beside her...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

One of the CA favourites, isn't one interpretation that it portrays the same young lady, on the right outward bound, reading an improving book, glove'd with innocent roses beside her. To the left with experience of the world, gloveless, and a basket of the "Fruit Of Knowledge" beside her...

Satiated by a fresh orange she has drifted off to sleep. Her more studious sister is seeking improvement in the published sermons of the Rev. Jedidiah Outhwaite, in particular his comments on the over consumption of oranges.   

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I was thinking of the name.... by the by, those early railway travellers must have had bladders of iron, that or fast like Trappists...

I remember reading somewhere a report of two ladies travelling by train being concerned by a large gentleman entering their compartment, who once the train was underway relieved himself against the offside door. In a non corridor coach there was no escape.

Don

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That's the revised version. The original was somewhat controversial:

775023888_A_SolomonFirst_Class-_The_Meeting_and_at_First_Meeting_Loved._Abraham_Solomon.jpg.acb482bd5b75d916a81b0089fda02cb7.jpg

And in any case, that's part 2 of 2. Our naval hero travelled out second class:

3364435_Abraham_Solomon_-_Second_Class_-_The_Parting.__Thus_part_we_rich_in_sorrow_parting_poor.__-_Google_Art_Project.jpg.32c7b93db01aee4e8fb57a43a4ca49c3.jpg

Abraham Solomon exhibited these in 1854; any ideas on carriage identification? One would assume the journeys are to and from Portsmouth.

There's no limit to the mischief one can weave with Photoshop

dh

• Funny 2

Re: Railways in light literature.

There is a lovely account of Marylebone (and indeed of the GCR London extension) in A G Macdonell's "England their England", first published 1933. In my Pan edition it starts on page 165. This book is a lovely tongue-in-cheek account of England and parts of Scotland post WW1, and also includes a world-class account of a village cricket match. It's a shame that it's set in Kent not Norfolk, but I'm sure that some of the rural qualities described could be found in other countries as well.

Re: W H Smith.

This gentleman (son of the founder) was active in Conservative politics, and when First Lord of the Admiralty provided (allegedly) the exemplar for the First Lord's song in HMS Pinafore. It might need to be pointed out that the First Lord is a political appointment, not a naval one. If I remember correctly the last sea officer to be appointed as First Lord was probably St Vincent, and that did not set a good precedent. ( This is ignoring the Duke of Clarence, later William IV. He was not a good precedent either.) The senior naval appointment has for some time been known as the First Sea Lord. Confusing the two roles can be controversial, as in the example given by W S Churchill. 

Re: Jackie Fisher

At least by his own account, he didn't have anyone to accompany him when he joined his first ship in 1854. I suppose he have got to Portsmouth by railway at that date?

Had Fisher been the young officer in the compartment with the young lady, he would have found room to dance!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Railways in light literature.

... e.g. Anna Karenina?

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Jackie Fisher

At least by his own account, he didn't have anyone to accompany him when he joined his first ship in 1854. I suppose he have got to Portsmouth by railway at that date?

I looked that up. The father of the Dreadnought first went to sea aboard a two-decker of essentially 18th century design (though built as late as 1831). 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

... e.g. Anna Karenina?

I looked that up. The father of the Dreadnought first went to sea aboard a two-decker of essentially 18th century design (though built as late as 1831). 

A copy of Anna Karenina would make a most adequate mud anchor for the jolly boat that would be young Jackies first command.....

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A copy of Anna Karenina would make a most adequate mud anchor for the jolly boat that would be young Jackies first command.....

Except that Anna Karenina was not written until 1878, and in 1854 Russia was an active enemy. It does seem to have been a particularly pointless war, even if it did provide a number of later Victorian street names.

Does Castle Aching have an Alma Avenue, or a Balaclava Broadway?