2 hours ago, runs as required said:

What a wonderful piece of film

it made me realise how little I know about the single wheelers. I assume the Stirling singles pre-date the later Spinners and DoC fitted with steam sanders, though No 1 must have had them retrofitted in its C20 years.

As it gets away from the station there was not a visual sign of a slip ( astonishing when you think of the minuscule steel to steel area imparting the acceleration). So the steam around the front end would be ... what ? Steam escaping from the piston seals ?

i noticed the safety valve permanently feathering - and was actually blowing off at the end while stopping at Rothley.   What a wonderful memory for the young lad doing the firing - did he get his fingers burnt right at the end? The driver turned the glass off with his handkerchief !

[it reminds me I must check on what happened to my pre-ordering at Shildon a couple of years back. I still exist on the fragments of my Kitmaster bought at Hattons on Smithdown Rd in 1959 and assembled as respite from the drudgery of student working drawings]

dh

Locomotion still have some in stock, I believe. 'phone today!

• Thanks 1

I wondered what was going on with the management of No.1 in that film, in that it appeared to be close to blowing-off all the time, I think that the drain cocks were open, and the fire-hole appeared to be open all(?) the time. If that is all correct, then very inefficient, even by steam loco standards.

It then struck me that the film-makers might have ordered "all possible visual affects".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Agreed. I know surprisingly little about the Stirlings, despite them being LNER locos. 

You are excused, since only the preserved No. 1 was ever an LNER locomotive. The remainder were Great Northern from cradle to grave, all withdrawn by 1916. The heavier corridor stock of the turn of the century killed them off as express passenger engines and they weren't much use for anything else. (Though the Midland did put their spinners to work double-heading coal trains during the Great War.)

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I wondered what was going on with the management of No.1 in that film, in that it appeared to be close to blowing-off all the time, I think that the drain cocks were open, and the fire-hole appeared to be open all(?) the time. If that is all correct, then very inefficient, even by steam loco standards.

It then struck me that the film-makers might have ordered "all possible visual affects".

Possibly the fireman was unused to firing anything smaller than a pacific...

8 hours ago, runs as required said:

....So the steam around the front end would be ... what ? Steam escaping from the piston seals ?

Cylinder drain chocks open to drive any water out of the cylinders. Standard practice. 

Jim 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

You are excused, since only the preserved No. 1 was ever an LNER locomotive. The remainder were Great Northern from cradle to grave, all withdrawn by 1916. The heavier corridor stock of the turn of the century killed them off as express passenger engines and they weren't much use for anything else. (Though the Midland did put their spinners to work double-heading coal trains during the Great War.)

Ah, that explains it. I'm very much a GER/NER man.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Cylinder drain chocks open to drive any water out of the cylinders. Standard practice. 

Jim 

I agree about the drain cocks - on starting (to avoid the water/condensed steam blowing the end off the cylinder). But the GCR  film shows steam drifting around the front end during  the whole run. 

Another thought from the film was how tight and minimal the trade-mark Stirling wrap around cab sheets appear   - and how easy it looks for the crew to fall out.

A following cold wet wind behind you around the Offord curves would have you soaked to the skin hugging up against the boiler back plate ! 

Virtual railroading is a lot more comfortable.

dh

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The open drain cocks on No 1 may have been because the boiler was too full of water and they were open to help prevent priming - Stirling straight back boilers did not have a dome and the boiler may not have settled down yet from any repairs it had at the time.  The amount of steam out of the chimney may also indicate this, but it’s not good practice to run like that. Of course, as with the firebox door, it could have been for film effect, or perhaps the driver forgot!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Interesting to compare, in these respects, with the B&W film of her at speed in 1938. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Interesting to compare, in these respects, with the B&W film of her at speed in 1938. 

Looks like the recommended firing technique for No 1 was to try and keep the safety valves blowing at all times!

The 1938 film was shot for the introduction of the A4 Pacifics on The Flying Scotsman, the Stirling Single was illustrating the 1880s Flying Scotsman and had a train of "vintage" carriages.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The LMS were at it too in 1938, with something even older ...

2136670870_Lion09EustonSeptember1938.jpg.55822495127414ecc6767431ace1749f.jpg

Presumably the big engine has run out of puff so the small engine is pulling it into the station.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

What a wonderful looking loco James!

1862542895_2019-05-1318_51_12.jpg.26ebe474c39eb067670722ac30c0b419.jpg

Nice job there Gary.  I've never managed to win any of the Milestones kits on the Bay of Fleas (the LSW 2-4-0 would be nice!), but I have invested in Dr Newman's excellent 3D Print.  

This looks overall a lot easier, but the modeller is left to apply all the tender and smoke box rivets and all the bolt heads on the frame.  So, perhaps it will take even longer in the end!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Nice job there Gary.  I've never managed to win any of the Milestones kits on the Bay of Fleas (the LSW 2-4-0 would be nice!), but I have invested in Dr Newman's excellent 3D Print.  

This looks overall a lot easier, but the modeller is left to apply all the tender and smoke box rivets and all the bolt heads on the frame.  So, perhaps it will take even longer in the end!

She's not been an easy kit, but is wonderful to look at now that she is done. This has been about 9 hours work which, for me, is a long time to get to this stage, so far I have not even started motorisation, but that isn't far off!! Still need to get some filler on the body and clean her up though!

I have seen the 3D print up close, and was very impressed by it. I look forward to seeing yours built!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

She's not been an easy kit, but is wonderful to look at now that she is done. This has been about 9 hours work which, for me, is a long time to get to this stage, so far I have not even started motorisation, but that isn't far off!! Still need to get some filler on the body and clean her up though!

I have seen the 3D print up close, and was very impressed by it. I look forward to seeing yours built!

Just need the motor bogie.  Perhaps I'll order some Archer's Rivets. 

Perhaps Lion did not go a-pumping when sold in 1859.  The date's right for a second-hand purchase to supplement the West Norfolk's over-worked E B Wilsons. Thence to the North Norfolk Minerals. 

What ever happened to Tiger?

I think I am right in saying that the Works that produced Lion and Tiger was later used by E B Wilson, then later Manning Wardle, so there is a sort of Golden Thread from Lion to MWs. 

Anyway, one was still working a Light Railway in Somerset in 1912 .... 

75917830_DSCN9415-Small.JPG.d706117cba08cd22c2ba48c1eabd1a30.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The LMS were at it too in 1938, with something even older ...

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its the Midland influence, why use one engine when two will do?  :jester:

Not at all - it's completely in the LNWR tradition - whenever a bigger engine was introduced, the operating department upped the loads, so it was still necessary to put a little old one on in front. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Not at all - it's completely in the LNWR tradition - whenever a bigger engine was introduced, the operating department upped the loads, so it was still necessary to put a little old one on in front. 

The LNWR equation was 2 Jumbos = 1 KGV or 1 Jumbo + 1 KGV = 1 Claughton, though on most occasions, 1 KGV == 1 Claughton...

This sort of malarky continued through to the LMS as far as Crewe was concerned, but once Stanier arrived (despite the allegation in the photograph), all such equations became null and void, and to quote Sellar and Yeatman, History came to a .

• Informative/Useful 2

Edwardian Sings the Blues ...

I woke up this morning, and my Broadband's just too slow

I woke up this morning, and my work server just won't load

I can post on RMWeb, but I can't work, and I can't listen to the ra-di-o.

[random mouth organ squeaking]

We -elll, I'm channelling Ed Reardon, to an engineer on the 'phone

We're tryin' all kind of nothing, but my Broadband's still too slow

Well, he ain't the Wichita Lineman, and I'm here left all alone.   

[random mouth organ squeaking, only slightly less coherent]

With two day's of lost work, what else could go wrong?

Well the clutch on my car, that's what, just as I was drivin' home

So it's taxi to school tomorrow, but I'm stuck here singin' my woeful song

[really incoherent mouth organ solo]

Well there's a moth in my wine glass, and I'm as p1ssed off as they come ....

[you get the idea]

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

(I think that the 'moth' line has great potential for development into an entire song)

Someone should send it to the team that produces ISIHAC...

• Agree 1