• RMweb Premium

Thank you, gentlemen, what a tangled web we weave. Did anyone follow Miles Kington’s books on the use of Franglais, which I found an absolute hoot. I’ve never come across any equivalent German mis use.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Pfaelzisch - pronounced locally as Pelzisch - is a godsend to people like me where all of the declantions:

Der, die , das, die

den, die, das, die   etc

becomes

de, de, de, de  etc

About 2 years after moving to Germany (Pfalz) our company formed a joint venture with a Hessisch company.  At the following Christmas party 2 senior managers were required to read the same Christmas story, but in the others dialect.  Frankly I hardly understood a word.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Thank you, gentlemen, what a tangled web we weave. Did anyone follow Miles Kington’s books on the use of Franglais, which I found an absolute hoot. I’ve never come across any equivalent German mis use.

We already have had good examples - Gefingerpoken for example.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Pfaelzisch - pronounced locally as Pelzisch - is a godsend to people like me where all of the declantions:

Der, die , das, die

den, die, das, die   etc

becomes

de, de, de, de  etc

About 2 years after moving to Germany (Pfalz) our company formed a joint venture with a Hessisch company.  At the following Christmas party 2 senior managers were required to read the same Christmas story, but in the others dialect.  Frankly I hardly understood a word.

My German has a strong Hessisch accent, due to spending two months in Frankfurt on a school exchange. Several years later I convinced a chap in a bar in Zurich that I was born and bred in Offenbach-am-Main. We were both quite well-oiled...

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 1

Useful Small Talk For Ambassadorial Receptions

Item 214. The Offenbach-am-Main Opener

I was once much delayed on a journey from Paris to Legnica by the failure of the overhead catenary at Offenbach-am-Main.

Note: If Transport Ministers or Senior Railway Officials are present, great caution should be exercised regarding the use of this Opener.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My German has a strong Hessisch accent, due to spending two months in Frankfurt on a school exchange. Several years later I convinced a chap in a bar in Zurich that I was born and bred in Offenbach-am-Main. We were both quite well-oiled...

My French has a German accent.  I was once talking to a Frenchman in Switzerland who thought I was from Luxembourg.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not to worry. My Welsh has a strong Albanian input - I don't suppose many people can claim that! My wife and i know when we have inserted an Albanian word in a Welsh sentence by the expression on the face of our Welsh teacher.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I am told that Hungarian, Estonian and Finnish are sufficiently similar that if you speak one of them it is easy to learn the others.  So you could be almost incomprehensible across a large area of eastern europe.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Hungarian, Finnish and Basque are supposedly related, despite, almost, covering the extremes of the continental mainland.

I have made extensive use of these in "developing" Marrongacan, the language of Marrongaco province on the AFK.

I do possess a Finnish dictionary as I have railway books in the language but it is easier to use Google translate.

A post graduate friend married a Finnish girl and has spent his working life at Helsinki University.

I occasionally get a Christmas and New Year card in the language!

When asked about learning Finnish he informed me that it is just a matter of rote learning but at least the language is phonetic.

As usual, many Finnish people speak fluent English, although he claims that his two sons are part of a very small Finnish Norwich City fans club.

Ian T

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

I sometimes have a twinge of a Cork accent, but that's understandable as I do actually have some Irish blood in me (my grandad on my mum's side is from Blarney.) 

I do turn Scottish whenever I try and do Russian though. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Helsinki has, or at least had, commentary on the open-top tour buses in Latin. I am not sure how much demand there is.

Beware, though. Finnish has the delight of vowel harmony - one vowel in a word can change to suit another. and multiple endings piled one on top of another.

The only word I remember is Kitos - spelling? = thank you.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, teaky said:

My French has a German accent.  I was once talking to a Frenchman in Switzerland who thought I was from Luxembourg.

Oddly enough my (German) in-laws tell me my German has a French accent. On the rare occasions I dare use it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I assume that everyone in this parish has read the latest LB&SCR Modellers' Digest. If not, it is well worth it. Another excellent issue. See the thread in this section of RMWeb.

Jonathan

Downloaded waiting to be read over lunch today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, teaky said:

I am told that Hungarian, Estonian and Finnish are sufficiently similar that if you speak one of them it is easy to learn the others.  So you could be almost incomprehensible across a large area of eastern europe.

...and absolutely everywhere else in the world.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Helsinki has, or at least had, commentary on the open-top tour buses in Latin. I am not sure how much demand there is.

Beware, though. Finnish has the delight of vowel harmony - one vowel in a word can change to suit another. and multiple endings piled one on top of another.

The only word I remember is Kitos - spelling? = thank you.

Jonathan

The only words/phrases you need in any foreign language are:

1. Where are the toilets?

2. My friend is paying.

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

The only words/phrases you need in any foreign language are:

1. Where are the toilets?

2. My friend is paying.

And of course you might then need to understand the answer:

poshtë rrugës, të majtën e parë, të shkoni nën urë dhe ata janë në të djathtën tuaj

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1