7 hours ago, Northroader said:

CFD0E86B-81DD-4273-B68D-0C949F865B3F.jpeg.925303b80b231f1eec97fad9f549b869.jpeg

Oh that brings back memories of office parties in a younger more innocent time.

I am especially impressed by the depiction of the now defunct waving of the male dangly bits to celebrate the occasion.

O tempora o mores ...........................

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

I guess the first one was pretty much from life after the local residents had turned out to see the wreckage.  The Penny Illustrated Paper one is clearly based on imagination...  We marked the 150th anniversary in Staplehurst by dropping a wreath into the River Beult, among other things.
Samuel Smiles (of Self Help fame) who was then company secretary of the South Eastern Railway wrote 'Not long after the accident a young lady called upon Mr Eborall [the General Manager] and claimed some damage for the injury done to her dress.  It was necessary to ask for references - for it was a practice of certain persons to make trade of claiming compensation in railway accidents - he desired to know if any person was with her at the time the accident occurred.  "Yes!" she said, "My mother and Mr Charles Dickens."  This was the first time we had heard that Charles Dickens was in the train.'

Staplehurst_rail_crash.jpg

dickens-staplehurst.jpg

The first image is familiar, I've always taken the carriage hanging over the edge at the right as the one which Dickens might have been in.  he describes the incident in a postscript to "Our Mutual Friend".  I've not seen the rather mawkish "Penny Illustrated Paper" effort before, with all the other corpses lying about, the illustrator has him making a beeline for the distressed young lady...

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Well, the florin was introduced to be 1/10 of a pound, intentionally as a Victorian era first step towards decimalisation (and possibly, the metric system if only those pesky Germans weren’t also using it), so maybe you could pay using a number of two-Bob bits?

But only with post 1947 ones, which are cupro-nickel.  Previously they had a high silver content and pre-grouping ones were sterling silver.  Of course, proper two-bob bits are considerably larger than the 10 pees we have today, our currency has been so debased...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Of course, proper two-bob bits are considerably larger than the 10 pees we have today, our currency has been so debased...

The 10 pence piece shrank about 1992, just after I'd used one to provide an indication of scale for an illustration in my thesis!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Here our silver currency which went when we decimalised in 1966 was a bit of a financial embarrassment. The face value of the coinage was worth less than the silver content. It didn't take long for it to begin to disappear even with the replacement cupro-nickel and copper decimal coinage being introduced.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm well into my Christmas reading schedule, working my way through "Hogfather" and I'll start reading "A Christmas Carol"* by stave from Saturday evening onwards, finishing with the Fifth Stave on Christmas Morning!

Then I'll finally get into the Christmas Spirit!

(G&T anyone?)

* I'll be reading the Penguin/Allen Lane edition of 1979, with the Fluck&Law illustrations.

The Fezziwigs Ball centerfold illustration is rather jolly!

370615482_fluck-lawFezziwigsBall.jpg.cf536dd03f35baabec58a8dfefda44bf.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

This morning I find myself grimly enduring a rail replacement bus that declares itself to be 'SWR 225' but I daresay it doesn't look much like an Adams O2!

225_1948.jpg.8d72a0a6df689bcd3cf2837f14790a95.jpg

I should imagine very little does, nowadays!

Hope you've got something interesting to read whilst you suffer...

Well, that O2 looks shabby and unkempt, so you may find that the bus does resemble it in that one respect.

Although, my experience of the dreaded replacement buses outside of TfL is that they are usually quite decent coaches ......... clean and comfortable, but using long and traffic-congested routes that mean you can kiss goodbye to any appointments that day, and seriously bad for anyone with mobility impairment. TfL tend to use proper urban buses, which are DDA compliant.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Exactly the sort of baffling "information" that cyclists get from some TOCs there days.

gWr is notoriously bureaucratic and unhelpful wrt bikes, whereas the TOC that runs Thameslink is brilliant.

And, in theory at least, some bus services these days do convey bikes ...... the Oxford-Cambridge route is operated by what I would call coaches, and it is supposed to be possible to stow a bike in the under-floor luggage area (no reservation necessary) according to their website. So far, I haven't had the mental fortitude to try it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As a resident of suburban Reading, I cannot share your revulsion for buses - at least since Reading Buses took over the Wokingham and Bracknell route from Stagecoach.

Twas even better when there were trollybuses on the Whitley- Caversham Bridge and Tilehurst-Workingham road routes.

Don

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Annie said:

28HngJc.jpg

Buses don't do so well on my layouts.

You need to treat them with the same care and attention as you do your locomotives.  Drive them carefully, don't thrash them, don't overload them, keep them oiled and watered and put decent fuel in them.  That sort of thing....  :whistle:

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Donw said:

Twas even better when there were trollybuses on the Whitley- Caversham Bridge and Tilehurst-Workingham road routes.

Don

Good grief and I used to drive trolley buses for a living in Wgtn NZ,  better than the university treadmill.   Quite a tricky job, driving those buses, not many could do as well as be polite to mothers with prams and take fares etc. Power + handbrake on a wet night to operate the switches in the wires behind the back of the bus.

Not sure how long I would have lasted at it before error on a fast motorbike changed things.  Most of the other drivers had trade or professional qualifications   but I'm probably repeating myself. Better go and make a picture of a BR Standard 9F  which would be closer to thread guidelines even if not quite there....

edit; curious thing about BR 9Fs they hauled Edwardian-style wagons ... as we know because the customers and small businesses  requiring coal had small wagon facilities, creating quite odd trains really... the British specialty, 1,000+-ton trains of wooden 10-ton wagons. 

That's why god invented LMS Garratts,  and then 9Fs... 

92116_9F_portrait1_4abcde_r1500.jpg.6e57490f766ce2f6a1a7b4f45f342439.jpg

will remove if asked.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Better go and make a picture of a BR Standard 9F  which would be closer to thread guidelines even if not quite there....

Yes, the last member of the class only missing the pre-grouping post by a mere 37 years! Its funny to think that "Evening Star" will celebrate its 60th birthday in March 2020... 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, however post-pre-grouping that engine may be, it has a component designed by T.G. Clayton and S.W. Johnson of the Midland Railway.

Some sort of virus or infestation?  :jester:

• Funny 3