RCBearings.co.uk - a ball bearing supplier

Adrian

I'm considering fitting ball bearings to the axles on my next loco build. I've looked at the link in the OP and the bearings are all in millimetres. Can someone please tell me what three sixteenths of an inch is in millimetres?

Also, there are three measurements listed on each bearing on that site. e.g. 3x6x2. Am I right in thinking that the first figure is the diameter of the hole, the second the outer diameter and the third the depth?

Yes that is the industry standard for specifying sizes, also you may see the spec for the side shield which follows the numbers Z zink (metal) shield one side, ZZ metal shield both sides or RS, rubber shield one side and 2RS rubber shields both sides. Any bearing without these suffixes should be assumed to be open sided.

If you wish to stop the bearings rotating in their mounts a small spot of the "loctite" you use to fix the drive gears to the axle will suffice,although I would suggest you only use this on shielded bearings to avoid accidental locking up of the bearings

Archived