Bachmann / Hornby REPLACEMENT MOTORS

SEVERN VALLEY

The genius who repairs my misbehaving locos has confirmed that he is having great difficulty in sourcing replacement motors.

I am aware that replacement working chassis disappeared some time ago, Have motors suffered the same fate?

This makes repairing locos impossible and the only solution the is the to buy new locos at great cost.

Your advice please.

John.

It is called planned obsolescence, not only are parts not readily available but the models are "upgraded" so there are several different motors for any given chassis /loco.  

Ebay could be an answer, or cannibalise locos with good motors and stripped gears for one with a duff motor.

The sneaky answer is to use a brass chassis, maybe a K's for a GW pannier / Dean or 45XX  with a readily available reliable motor, like an X04 or K's Mk2, with Romford wheels and gears and graft on the Bachmann brake gear etc.  Getting even sneakier I use 40 year old Hornby or 60 year old H/D or Triang chassis redrilled to suit Bachmann coupling rods to give the correct wheelbase and with Markits / Romford wheels and Bachmann etc brakegear.   You may have a cab full of motor but at least it will pull trains.  And probably last for 20 plus years.

The other alternative is buy new engines and build up a rdiorama of Barry scrapyard as they fail after a couple of years. 

There are some very good motors in Disc drives and CD players which take Bachmann worms etc but mounting them on Bachmann or Hornby chassis is a challenge, though I have used them in Brass chassis and on Triang chassis.

I was always aware that it could be a bit of a problem with later model Hornby stuff but was not aware the it has become a problem with Bachmann.  I have had to replace two motors on Bachman Locos and had not problem at all getting them direct from Bachmann.  Will be interested to see the comments about Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

The genius who repairs my misbehaving locos has confirmed that he is having great difficulty in sourcing replacement motors.

I am aware that replacement working chassis disappeared some time ago, Have motors suffered the same fate?

This makes repairing locos impossible and the only solution the is the to buy new locos at great cost.

Your advice please.

John.

No one can properly answer this question as you haven't mentioned the particular loco. Someone might know if a clue is given.

Depends on whether your engine is the old split-chassis type, or the current non-split version.

Bachmann seem to use Buhler can motors in many of their engines (except some Peppercorn A1s, some of which seem to have Mashima cans in them), and one possible source is Bancroft

Thank for your replies to my post - as always help in at hand!

I have contacted Bachmann directly and have been advised that the new motors I now require - OO gauge Patriot and BR Standard Class 5 - are available as spares and at good prices.

Again thank you for your help,

John.

Archived