Art Deco Southern/London Station Buildings

class156

This discussion is about modelling station based on the Southern/London areas with art deco buildings.

I am building my layout scenery base loosely on the Southern/London areas. I ham a big fan of the art deco building on the stations and streets. 

I am looking for a building similar to East Finchley in OO scale. I already have some of the Bachman art deco station waiting room parts, but I need something to join 3 platforms over the rails that passengers can access the platforms. Any ideas would be helpful. I can post a picture once the platforms are completed and in place if that helps?

Without wishing to stir-up trouble, it is debatable whether either East Finchley or Surbiton are Art Deco, although they are often described as such, in that they owe more to Bauhaus, but having got that off my chest ..........

Bromley North, certainly isn't deco, more "faux Georgian faux Classical meets Borough Council Office", although it is quite a nice station building.

The really "sexy" small stations built by the SR in the 1930s were on the Chessington Branch, and they are Streamline Moderne in style.

How big/small do you want, then it will think of more examples. The SR built a lot of new station buildings, so there are plenty to choose from ........ Seaton (Devon), for instance, which has been described as "suburbia gone to the seaside".

Kevin

Surbiton is pretty one of the most attractive stations I've seen. Bishopstone has been mentioned on another thread lately, and that's another good example of the SR's architecture.

I'm afraid I'm not so clever when it comes to architectural trends...

I really do like the Bachman art deco signal box, but, space is an issue, so I went for the smaller Hornby one.

Anyway, here is the space I have to play with. I'm using Metcalf for the platforms, of which the tops are in place along with a template to ensure they fit and gives an idea what I'm after. I'm just wondering if there are any kits out there or how easy it would be to scratch build something?

post-25188-0-36395900-1454525643.jpg

The area at the front, nearest the camera?

To go with Clive's suggestion, Woking (Down side)

Surbiton, but the smaller, Down side, which is a sort of miniature of the more famous Up side.

Chessington, which is quite a strange shape, which might fit well.

Southampton Central (which was very good, but I think got bombed during the War, and was never the same again).

Seaton (Devon), which is quite small.

Allhallows, which certainly wasn't a masterpiece of architecture, but is SR "neat and economic" at its best.

Margate, Ramsgate, Hastings, and Bromley North, which fit into a different bracket of architecture, but are good buildings.

I'm trying to think of a smaller, very characteristic one, and if/when I do, I will add it.

Kevin

Strange shape the Chessington branch?

Four stations, two done in a brick finish and two in concrete. Other than that, they were the same. Also concrete clad bridge steel work, considered the kiss of death these days but still in situ after some 75 years.

Here's the Hull MRS's "Chessington (Chalk Lane) EM layout, depicting a fictitious fifth station.

post-276-0-85954300-1454535530.jpg

PM me if I can help any further. John.

...getting a tatty old Hornby Dublo aluminium station, stripping it and repainting.

A Hornby Dublo station and a pic of the central section of Southampton Down side (the bit that was bombed) http://mcp86.tumblr.com/

I keep being drawn to these on ebay, wondering if it would make a believable project. I have absolutely zero idea if it was inspired by anything that actually existed, but I think it does have the right "look" about it.

post-17811-0-77286800-1454570976.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts. With all that in mind, I'm warming to the doing a scratch built island waiting room exactly as Bachman has done in separate pieces, but do the other style canopy on it, as some of those stations mentioned have. Then I'm thinking either an enclosed bridge or underpasses to join the platforms, all made with card, as I'm sure I've seen closed bridges in card kit which, would allow me to make the right size. This would be on the platform closest to the camera.

I have just noticed I've missed a small platform there in the picture, so will add that. Any thought are much appreciated.

SRMan

It was you I meant, and I like it every time I see it!

Pete 75C

I've delved deep trying to find out whether or not the HD station has any firm basis in prototype, and so far I've come to the conclusion that it is probably a "generic", designed around being able to get the casting out of the die reasonably easily.

If anyone does know of a near-prototype, I'd love to know, very soon, so that I can add the knowledge to an article about "deco" model stations that is going into a magazine very soon.

Kevin

Leafing through a magazine at the bookstall, before I jumped on the train this morning, I noticed that Skaledale are producing models of all the key buildings from High Brooms, on the outskirts of Tunbridge Wells.

Not Deco, it is a late SECR station that fits more into the Bromley North bracket, but it is a very good smaller station, and is distinctively from the South. Main building isn't huge, they've compressed it a bit.

Not a freebie though: c£50 for the main building, probably treble that if you bought all the smaller buildings too.

(Cooden Beach I couldn't remember, so I googled, and it is a very neat one, it even looks well-maintained in recent photos!)

Kevin

Archived