4-BEP

Glynn Huggins

During the course of my voluntary work on the Spa Valley Railway, I spent some time working in the static Buffet Car 'Emily' at Tunbridge Wells. The carriage was, I believe, one of the few originally used in a 4-BEP rake and retired after only a short working life when the demand for a travelling buffet decreased (well that is what we are told but in all probability there was extra revenue to be had from more seating!). This got me wondering if there is any source of such a carriage in n gauge which would fit the excellent 4-CEP model made by Graham Farish of which I have acquired two and fitted them with sound.The standard Mk1 Buffet is quite different from the design of the 4-BEP Buffet. Any suggestions much appreciated!

If it's the green coach next to the engine shed, that's actually a 4-BIG buffet car. They actually had a pretty good working life, the buffets were taken out of use in the late 1990s but some of the units survived into the early 2000s. The unrefurbished BEPs had a shorter life, but when the units were refurbished in the early 80s some went to the SW division, whilst others had the buffet vehicle replaced by an ex-loco hauled SK refurbished to match the rest of the unit and were reclassified as CEPs.

You can convert a Mk1 into a BEP buffet but it is a modelling job, there isn't an off-the-shelf solution.

Brian Golding's Pictorial Record of Southern Electric Units includes line drawings of BEP buffet cars in original and refurbished states. Published by Noodle Books ISBN 978-1-906419-34-9.

Hi Glynn - try this thread for pics    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72865-br-410-bep-emus-and-their-buffets/

You will find Electra Rail Graphics do vinyl sides for a 4 BEP but only in green as far as I know (under their heritage section). You could try asking Adam Warr (who makes them) whether he can print a set in a different livery, if that is what you need.

Good luck!

Not a great quality picture but we had a BEP which was modified from a Bachmann CEP unit that we ran on our Old Elms Road exhibition layout for a couple of years. 

The buffet coach had scratch built sides made from plasicard that replaced the original coach sides and the underframe and roof were reworked in order to have all the correct detail for a buffet car. My colleague who built this used the drawings from Golding's book mentioned above and through close examination of post-21587-0-97939600-1454968480_thumb.jpgphotos

Archived