Power supply for 2 analogue Cobalt IP motors?

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I’m installing a couple of Cobalt IP analogue point motors on my new layout glorified shunting plank, and am looking at how best to power them.There is the dedicated DCC Concepts PSU2, but pricewise it seems overkill for just 2 motors.

I’ve looked at the Gaugemaster wallmounted WM2, which has a 9V output. I was thinking of using this with a couple of cross-wired DPDT switches. However, Gaugemaster seem to indicate that this is for "pre-IP" - but off-hand I can’t see the trouble in using this in my case. In other words: Would this option be OK for powering two IP analogue motors, and if not, does anyone have suggestions for an alternative option?

I think what they are trying to say, is that the pre IP motors will run quieter on 9 volts than on 12 volts and 9 volts is more suitable than 12volts.

The ip ones will accept a much wider range of voltage input and you should have no problems with a reversing switch.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Smokebox, that's how I was hoping it should be understood.

It would have been convenient if I could just use one of my existing power sources for this, but they are all in use on other layouts, so I'm going to need something new for this.

Archived