Help needed with a diamond crossing

nomisd

I know this is a perennial question (I know because I have looked and read the all the previous postings) but its my first time actually laying the track and trying to put power through it so I need some hand holding....

The basics - Peco code 75, electrofrog points, DC power, point control - finger of God. The track plan is 

post-23087-0-42927500-1454921219_thumb.jpeg

I understand the caveats about relying on point blades for power supply. Everything was going swimmingly until it came to the diamond crossing. After spending about an hour yesterday morning wondering why it was all shorting, I came to the conclusion that I really did need the DPDT switch. So I have duly ordered one and wait its arrival. I then spent all afternoon trying to get my head around how to wire the feeds and the switch. I think I have understood it and think (hope) that this is correct

post-23087-0-24439600-1454921233_thumb.jpeg

Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

• RMweb Gold

I assume your diamond crossing is the Electrofrog type, as Peco also offer an Insulfrog version.  If so, you need IRJs on the 4 vee-rails of this crossing.  This then means the two frogs are completely isolated electrically.  You then wire up the two frogs to your DPDT switch so as to provide power to each frog according to which route is set.

• RMweb Premium

One way of doing it automatically would be to have a 4 pole relay with outputs to all 4 V's of the crossing. That can either be switched manually with a simple on off switch or could be driven by one of the points so that it's automatic for whichever route is set. I've used the manual version on Green Ayre with wo LED's in the track plan on the control panel so that you can see what route is set. If you are interested I could draw you the circuit.

Jamie

I used 4 pole relays operated by a micro switch on two live frogged diamonds from the days when only insulfrog were available.  One has a microswitch on the point motor the other a microswitch on a hand operated point. Both have worked for 20 years or more with no issues.

The only issue is if a loco approaches the diamond when the track is set the "other" way you get a same side short.   This passes through the pickups and even on DC damages the pickups and totally wrecks the springs in plunger pickups.   Personally I would use an Insulfrog Diamond on DCC to avoid this.   My relays are only rated for 2 amps so you would probably need a very meaty 4 pole or 2X 2 pole relays to cope with DCC.

Thanks to everyone who has answer my question. Jamie92208 - thanks for your kind offer and I can understand why this would be extremely useful, I think that at the moment it would be complicating my already confused mind a bit too much. I will be happy if I can get trains to run!

I think I have now understood what to do, if not how it actually works. I think that my problem was reading too much into the diagram on Brian Lambert's page. I confused myself by thinking that the triangles on the rails were power feeds - quite obviously they are not. Am I correct in assuming that if I do what is in the figure below, it will work (and I can sleep tonight without having visions of diamond crossings flying round my head!)

post-23087-0-81925400-1455006875_thumb.jpeg

Oh, I just saw another error, here. Let me draw it quickly what you will need for IRJs.post-21863-0-34261200-1455054244_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I dont know how the Peco diamond is wired up, so that will need to be left to someone else.

But you did forget the IRJ on the points. Remember, electrofrog has switching frogs. Dont want any shorts.

And by completely insulating the diamond, you can leave locos in the top two sidings if you wanted.

Archived