WELL HILL PARADE

Erinhorn

Hi Guys,

I introduced myself in my first post - a query about the availability of 'OO' scale traction poles and I thought I might give an update at how my very first tramway layout is coming along.

I started out making the track from code 75 rail and the roadway from ready mixed polyfilla with PVA added.  This mixture sets very hard!  So much so that I bought myself a Dremel to etch the setts.  (I knew I would need a good modeling drill for other things)   This got me to the stage shown in the photo below:

imgroadway.jpg

Now already I could have saved myself a lot of work because I could have used flexitrack just as it was instead of using the rails to build my own because the plaster roadway would have covered the sleepers completely.  Never mind.  In the background of this photo, leaning against a wall you can just see my first try at a small layout with setts made from das clay.  This seemed too messy and hard to control so that got scrapped at a very early stage.

Because I totally lack imagination I have to admit that I have copied my layout from RedDevil's Grime Street Layout. His descriptions of his building methods and srages of his build helped me a great deal. (I'm very grateful RedDevil and I hope you're not offended).   My Well Hill Parade layout is based on South London around 1950.   The road outside the house where we lived was on the tram route between Woolwich and Eltham and when you get to my age it's nice to hark back to one's childhood memories!  I went so far as to order a couple of DPM model shops as used in the Grime Street layout

img0765u.jpg 

The 3rd building from the right is in fact the rear of the 1st building's kit and I thought it might make a reasonable frontage for a bank.  In fact it's Martins Bank (The sign of the grasshopper) and I became a 'junior' then a cashier at a branch of Martin's when I first left school.  Notice too the derelict bomb site - there were still plenty of those around in 1950.

More to follow.......

After building the two DPM kits I decided to try something different of my own.  Incidentally I haven't yet decided what the two shops will be so they've not signs yet or interiors. I decided to build my own low relief model of a church....

img0766s.jpg

and a Post Office.....

img0764q.jpg

The construction of both buildings used the same technique.   First get a good 'front on' image either from the Internet or by taking your own photograph of a suitable building.  Next using a photo editing program use a perspective fixing tool if necessary and then scale the image to 4mm scale.  Then I print several copies to use as templates for the actual models.

For the actual construction I use 3mm thick artists board.  It comes in many colours and can be bought from artists' material shops.  I find this thick card very easy to work with.  It can be cut and/or scored very easily with a sharp bladed knife.  I got plasticard of various thicknesses but I much prefer the card which also, by the way, needs very little in the way of bracing when making low relief models.  PVA glue holds everything together very well.   Once front and sides have been cut out I clad them with 'Metcalfe' brick sheeting.  Then windows are glazed and card cut for lintels and sills.  I've been a bit lazy with my windows because I've simply used the window images from my templates and I hope you agree that looking at the photos, they are quite effective.  Finally further decoration and signs.   In the finished building it is very important that nowhere on the model can you see a white outline of any of the construction card.  I mix some brown and orange acrylic paint and carefully paint out any white edges.   More to follow..........

img0762jm.jpg

From this and my earlier images You'll notice that I have got some of the overhead constructed. I'm using cosmetic overhead.    Here I could do with some help and advice guys because I'm getting far too many derails.   I think it's mainly due to poorly soldered joints but the derailing can be a bit random so it could be the springing of the trolley pole; I don't really know but poor running at this stage is rather disappointing and a bit of a 'turn-off'.   Anyway this is where I've got to with my layout as of today.   

There's still lots to do.   There are still areas of bare baseboard to be filled, a few more buildings and the outer circuit of the overhead to be constructed.   Then I hope that I can start modelling some real trams.  Oh and everything will need weathering............       With a bit of luck this layout building will keep me going for a long time to come :)

Coming along nicely, like the vacant plot, will be using that one on the next section of Grime St.

Glad you find my ramblings of some use!

Thoughts on the overhead. If it is completly random, perhaps it is wire tension or pole springing. If it was in a particular spot, I'd think wire alignment/dodgy ear. Then again I use bows, so what do I know?!

My supporting wires (forget their proper name) have frogs to take the running wire along the front of the layout where it shows and on the back curves it is wire soldered direct to running wire.      I found the frogs very fiddly and in soldering the running wire I often had too much solder - or lets say more than was needed.     When the trolley pole derails it will always be at a support point either frogged or not but not always at the same ones.      There's no problem with the running of the trams on their rails.      

I somehow think I'm going to have to unsolder the running rail and re-solder it much more carefully.   I'm not looking forward to that but it's all part of the learning process.

Incidentally I don't know if anyone can help with this - In one of my images you'll see that I have a red telephone box. (My wife bought it for me :)  ).    I know that in about 1950 Post Office Telephone vans were a dark dull green colour and perhaps the boxes were as well.    I can probably find the answer somewhere on the web but someone might know and save me the trouble. 

Many thanks for the suggestions.    Here are a couple of images of my overhead setup......

img0207xk.jpgimg0205c.jpg

Looking at the angle of the trolley pole, which to me looks a bit narrow, I wonder if either the pole is too long or the running wire is a bit low.   The pole length is 55mm which scales to just under 14ft.    The running wire is 95mm from the track bed which scales to 24ft.   I've based these on measurements taken from David Voice's book and should be more or less correct.   The pole is made from the sprung base trolley pole kit by Alan Kirkman (PC Trams).  The springing on these seems to be very effective.   It could be oversprung as you suggest but isn't this better than undersprung as it should press the wheel more firmly onto the running wire?

Here is a picture of my soldering set-up....

img0208h.jpg

Look who didn't clean his soldering iron tip the last time he used it!     :icon_redface:

I've never actually used flux paste before but it does make the solder flow rather than 'blob' on a fixed point.

Thanks for the interest and advice which I appreciate

Archived