lash

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lash, found one with some similar wording from Stepney Green Underground.All the best Adrian.

Looks very similar in style doesn’t it .LT makes a lot of sense as the origin.maybyet be the inspiration for a crack at a layout incorporating the widened lines near Farringdon , blue mk1 suburbans a lovely price at Hattons at the moment and memories of class 31s and my first year at university ( the intense smell of meat in the side roads by Smithfield will never leave me or the pleasure of the best doorstep cheese and pickle sandwiches ever from a cafe in Cowcross Street ....I could go on )

All the best and many thanks.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pleasant couple of hours working on the bridge and track testing/ playing trains.

It’s got to be a good idea using lots of different stock so the 2mt was on passenger duties running round a couple of Bulleid coaches and best of all using the three tracks as an inglenook shunting puzzle reconfiguring a short tanker train from the docks swapping the ends of the barrier wagon and the brake van with my Blackmotor . Great play value and a genuine test for the track

post-9154-0-13650800-1537221460_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

post-24-0-91189300-1537246750.jpg

I noticed one of those signs at North weald on the Epping and Ongar Railway at the weekend and that is an ex underground station. I like your idea of an LT layout, as specially as hattons have the Heljan BO BO electric loco at nearly half price at the moment! that's a bit tempting!

Steve 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifi.jpg

I noticed one of those signs at North weald on the Epping and Ongar Railway at the weekend and that is an ex underground station. I like your idea of an LT layout, as specially as hattons have the Heljan BO BO electric loco at nearly half price at the moment! that's a bit tempting!

Steve

Thanks Steve ,looks like you and Adrian were in the same place ! Did you meet , I don’t know what he looks ,like I’m torn between the young Clint Eastwood and Terry Thomas ............
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A slight pause in modelling as children work and sorting my garden have intervened . However next week will see me back in harness with some big moments coming with installing my attempt at point rodding and ballasting ( everyone’s favourite job) .

While not modelling I have had time to visits the Wigan show and buy a few things and also I had an online spree and ended up buying some very unsuitable items for Milton Quay , hey ho resistance is useless

Here is evidence of my more off piste purchases , did someone turn right at Farringdon via the old Snow Hill and head for the coast ??

post-9154-0-31537500-1539809120_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

A slight pause in modelling as children work and sorting my garden have intervened . However next week will see me back in harness with some big moments coming with installing my attempt at point rodding and ballasting ( everyone’s favourite job) .

While not modelling I have had time to visits the Wigan show and buy a few things and also I had an online spree and ended up buying some very unsuitable items for Milton Quay , hey ho resistance is useless

Here is evidence of my more off piste purchases , did someone turn right at Farringdon via the old Snow Hill and head for the coast ??

attachicon.gif815A9B86-AA4E-4A5A-8660-B96C2919B8FE.jpeg

I like your purchases, you'll have  to buld a 'widened lines' based layout now Iash  ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like your purchases, you'll have  to buld a 'widened lines' based layout now Iash  ;)

Steve.

Not too soon but one day and I have a cunning plan ....

Anyway won an eBay auction and 4 more blue mk1 suburbans have arrived.

Now back to the south coast.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thameslink 1970 ? ! !

;-)

Paul.

Got it in one damn you .

Yes a third rail meets widened lines mash up somwhere around Farringdon, Snow Hill ,Holborn, but loads to do on other stuff before that so a pipe dream ............

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When you get to it, don’t forget the labels on the last coach to the effect of “Don’t get on here if you’re going to Kings Cross”.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got in a good couple of hours modelling this evening .

Installed Wills point rodding on premade bases and touched up paint . Looks ok I think but will the more exacting observer please note it is not intended to be accurate, more a visual impression . I admire those that do go to the nth degree of tiny accuracy but that’s not for me as should be pretty obvious !! Question is would I bother again ...... jury's out on that .

Used Woodland Scenics flexible filler stuff to build up siding by the dock for ash ballast to pretty well bury the sleepers , bit messy and still drying out . Will need to paint before the ballast goes down so let’s see how it turns out .

Finally showing off some of my very nice Hornby Mk 1s some from the Wigan show and some off the net . 5 immaculate coaches for just over £100 brilliant , I love a bargain and proves I can buy items suitable for my current layout even if I don’t need 5 for the moment .

post-9154-0-52233500-1540242509_thumb.jpeg

post-9154-0-08000000-1540242534_thumb.jpeg

post-9154-0-71101900-1540242660_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wills vary girder ready to install ,but is it too dark and is the rust too much . I thought so but now have my doubts having seen pics of similar bridges . Honest thoughts please bearing in mind this is not a serious urban grime layout . The look I’m after is in need of a coat of paint ,not the day before cloasure after 30 years neglect and filth

post-9154-0-70275300-1540242936_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Adrian and Steve, many thanks and what a useful site. There was a beam that looked just like mine......... but I have resprayed it with a lighter grey to start weathering again on aesthetic grounds ,just too dark with the brickwork and didn’t look right. Will post pics after some weathering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh and as for ballasting ......

To quote Mao “ what does not destroy us makes us stronger”.

Totally bo######ed it . Did the classic pva water and washing up liquid mix . Pva was a bit old and dehydrated and went lumpy , horrid sticky mess to clear up . Will start again with Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Completed first lay of ballasting , fine mixed stone on main lines and cinder on siding .

It’s all drying and the jury is most definitely out. It’s either going to look ok or like the Somme on a bad day ( not sure there was ever a good one ) . I don’t dare post pics to avoid upsetting sensitive modellers .

Deep breath and wait for it all to dry.

• RMweb Premium

Had a peek and general furtle this morning. Not too bad some loose ballast particularly the cinders which were laid deep so a quick dose of scenic cement spray ( protecting point blades and connections of course ) .

More waiting now .......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents most encouraging.

Spent a while cleaning up the track and in a fit of enthusiasm tidied up around the railway room .

Work and domestic demands might prevent progress over the next week but I have a cunning plan . When time allows I’m going to work from the ground up to complete the basics of the layout and get it running then go back to complete the details . Most of the component parts are at least part done so what could possibly go wrong ..........

• Like 1