Springy buffers for a brake van

D5541

Evening all

I'm currently in the process of building a Dapol kit of a 20t common or garden brake van, and, having had a quick nose online n gotten myself confused (not an exceptionally difficult task)...

1) what pattern of buffers do I need if I'm fitting springy ones to it? The ones supplied with it look like RCH pattern

2) should it have 3 link or screw couplings, pictures seem to show a mix of both...

Cheers

Dan :-)

The best way to solve this is for you to decide what sort of brakevan you want first as there are innumerable variants. Then using a photo or photos, model that one.

LNER/BR brakevan safe so diverse that no one set of 'rules' applies?

steve

• RMweb Premium

The best way to solve this is for you to decide what sort of brakevan you want first as there are innumerable variants. Then using a photo or photos, model that one.

LNER/BR brakevan safe so diverse that no one set of 'rules' applies?

steve

Also the fact that this kit is very old & is based on the prototypes of that vintage. But if modelling it in its later career, the same brake van would have many changes, least not the buffers & couplings.

Best advice as to what to fit would be look at a photo and fit something that look like what the real one was fitted with. Also, as to the coupling, a lot were actually fitted with instantiers. Look on the barrowmore website, they have the old BR diagram books which will at least point you in the right direction.

A example might be a brake van that was originally unfitted or even without a vac pipe, with oil axleboxes and heavy duty sprung buffer and instantiers may have been refitted for use with mgr wagons, so will in later life come with roller bearing axleboxes, oleo buffers, and air pipes.

Archived