Chip returns random cv values

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Looking for some help or advice please

Have a sound chip which is assumed to be a loksound V3.5 - ex Bachmann sound 37 - which returns random Cv values using ECoS in programme track mode

Doesn't seem to matter which CV I look at - have tried to trigger reset with 08 in CV 08 but to no gain..chip reads as generic NMRA 35 function if read

Chip is installed in a loco which is fine and dandy with another v3.5 loksound in it and also behaves just the same in another loco

Is there a fix for this I wonder?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

I too should be interested in reading responses to this query; I have a Bachmann Class 25, factory fitted with sound (presumably on a Loksound v3.5) and I get the same problem when trying to read the CVs on Power Cab in Programming Track mode. The loco performs perfectly otherwise but I know that I will never be able to trust the CV readout.  Conversely, My Bachmann class 37 of same specification does not suffer from this problem.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

I have experienced similar problems several times in the past, all with LokSound v3.5 decoders. With the first offender I did a factory reset 3 times in succession and the problem disappeared - everything went back to factory default. On 2 other occasions this failed, but I did succeed by using the programming track to set CV1 to 3, CV17 to 0 and CV18 to 0, in other words forcing a short address of 3. You could try these processes if it happens again in the future.

My DCC system is Digitrax and I also use a SPROG and I can't remember which of them I used to change the CV values, but I wouldn't think there would be any difference with other systems.

Hi Harold

Am now sending mine to Brian at Howes for a full reprogramme - will let you know if that cures the problem

Kind regards

Phil

I dropped my Class 20 off at Howes, Kiddlington Monday lunchtime for a re-blow - the Bachmann sound was just awful. Just been delivered back to me care of FedEx. Just given it a test run and now sounds and drives like a Class 20. Brilliant service! May be able to pop into DCC Supplies for a better speaker later this week.

• RMweb Gold

Thats good to hear

Plenty of Howes 20s on Abbotswood, theres a rather large train on the youtube videos....

Dont forget that its the seperation of the sound paths from the front and rear of the speaker that plays a huge part in determining sound quality - just sealing around the speaker with blu tak or black mastic can make a huge difference....

Wont have mine back for a week or so as several locos so prefer to call and collect

Phil

• RMweb Gold

what version of ECoS firmware phil?

normally a decoder returning duff info is interference or poor comms, my Hornby elite used to return nonsense occasionally but ive not seen anything on my ECoS...

ive pm'd you about using my lokprogrammer by the way.

Thanks

Simon

Very often these failures to get a decoder to accept valid commands are because the voltage used by the programmer needs tweaking up a bit. I use a variable bench supply transformer and I found that 14volts DC was better than 12volts DC when using a Lokprogrammer even for the standard CVs.

Having said that, I seem to recall that the SPROG will also accept a similar higher voltage although I would query it with SPROG first.

Archived