Oban bogies

souwest

Hi there,

A couple of questions on Oban Bogies (any type)

Did they work from Glasgow directly to Oban, or were they changed at Stirling?

I think I recall reading that one of the Class 55 Oban bogies was used on the Ballachullish branch, and one went to the Highland for trials (Number 56 I think)?

Can anyone add anything more?

Thanking you in advance.

Souwest

Many thanks gentlemen.

Ian - goodness Muirkirk - I suppose it got there the back way. I could imagine them being trained on the Girvan - Portpatrick line but...

Jim49 - do you know which lines 56 was used on when on the Highland? 3 years is a good trial.

Strathyre - A 191 on the Ballachulish branch would have been a sight!

Many thanks

Souwest

The best place to ask this is on the Caledonian Forum

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/

You have to be a member of the association to post there but if you want or have any other questions I can post them there for you and you dontt have to be a member to read the responses

I'd be delighted if you could. I'm not a member of the CRA (yet) but if a planned relocation back to 67D works out I mat well succumb.

Many thanks gentlemen.

Jim49 - do you know which lines 56 was used on when on the Highland? 3 years is a good trial.

Souwest

Hi Souwest,  Sorry but I don't know what lines No. 56 was used on but as they were designed with a wheelbase to suit the Oban lines curves, they were very probably used on the Kyle line which has more than it's fair share of bends. 

Their 5 foot driving wheels  might not have been much use on the Highland main line but they could also have been used on the Far North line to Wick and Thurso.

Jim

I'd be delighted if you could. I'm not a member of the CRA (yet) but if a planned relocation back to 67D works out I mat well succumb.

The best place to ask this is on the Caledonian Forum

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/

You have to be a member of the association to post there but if you want or have any other questions I can post them there for you and you dontt have to be a member to read the responses

Surely one of the reasons for becoming a member is access to the full members' forum.

Your suggestion rather defeats that.

Jim P

Souwest, this is the only answer that I got but apparently I've blotted my copy book for asking as its seems helping some one out with a question when there not a member is frowned upon. I hate it when a simple fun hobby turns political it runes the camaraderie and takes the enjoyment out of what these thing are all about.

"The 1913 carriage marshalling circular has most locomotives rostered from Oban to Stirling and vice versa. There is one through working of a St. Rollox loco (therefore not an Oban bogie) from Buchanan Street to Oban and return. The 6.00 am from Oban had an Oban based loco straight through to Glasgow Mondays only, returning on the 12.00 from Buchanan Street.
Best
     Mike"

Hope that helps, Steve

Souwest, this is the only answer that I got but apparently I've blotted my copy book for asking as its seems helping some one out with a question when there not a member is frowned upon. I hate it when a simple fun hobby turns political it runes the camaraderie and takes the enjoyment out of what these thing are all about.

"The 1913 carriage marshalling circular has most locomotives rostered from Oban to Stirling and vice versa. There is one through working of a St. Rollox loco (therefore not an Oban bogie) from Buchanan Street to Oban and return. The 6.00 am from Oban had an Oban based loco straight through to Glasgow Mondays only, returning on the 12.00 from Buchanan Street.

Best

Mike"

Hope that helps, Steve

Good for you, Steve. Ignore the barracking above, we cannot all join all societies so a bit of help is a great thing. I can only think Jasp is making a poor jest or is perhaps lacking in empathy.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

post-26978-0-98160300-1458167175_thumb.jpg

I've made a model of one, started in 1970 or so, stored until 2015 and recently finished(?). I must have had a drawing (Skinley blueprint?) back in the 1960s, as I couldn't have built it else, but don't have one now. I recently bought a 1943 copy of MRN on ebay which has a drawing, which I could scan/copy to you if you like. My model has a smaller boiler (18mm) and taller chimney but I must have had a drawing ...  It's all a bit of a mystery but the almost finished loco is beautiful in proportion and I love it so no more qualification is necessary. I attach a pic which has appeared in Londontram's Caledonian locos thread. It awaits the Westinghouse Pump which I will refit when I can make out how to fit enough lining on it without it looking like a liquorice allsort.

I'm just starting a Brittain's 179 Oban bogie which is even smaller. Must be mad!

Best wishes, Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jim (flubrush).

Maybe so. I'm having fun with the Brittain Oban Bogie chassis and start of the superstructure. I've made the main chassis with piston and slidebar on both sides; cut out and bent up one side's footplate (back from the cylinder), motion splashers, splasher and cab side from a single piece of 10 thou brass, and soldered on a 1mm x half mm nickel silver sole bar over the full length for strength. I'm getting quite excited about how it looks and keen to start the other side. Once I'm sure the wheels will go round within the splasher, I'll solder up the chassis and fit the wheels. I'm thinking of having plasticard splasher tops, though, as shorts are pretty inevitable otherwise. I'm also hoping to have splashers on the bogie wheels as per prototype and am considering having the bogie fixed within its frame which will turn with the bogie wheels (i.e., everything below the footplate there turning together) rather than expecting the bogie wheels to flap about under the frame. Not sure yet.  It's all so tiny!

I'm being encouraged by Steve (Londontram) to start a thread but not really ready. Some photos are being archived though, so who knows...

Best wishes, Graham

Archived