Where to get 3-link couplings?

Don't you need an electro magnet so that you can drop the link?

In the case of that 2mm one I think the screw coupling is rigid (ie one piece) so if you just move the magnet away along the coach/van it drops into the hook (maybe). I don't know if that would work with flexible 3-link coupling with one magnetic link?

• 1 month later...

I was almost persuaded to use Kadees on British OO gauge rolling stock but I have decided not too and I will persevere with some form of three link coupler. I have used Smiths in the past but I am looking at alternatives.

1. Does anybody know who sells Romford 3 link couplers ? They are a bit over scale compared to the Smiths couplers but for some reason I think they look better.

2. Are the springs really necessary behind the hooks ? I cannot really see what purpose they serve in OO gauge....O gauge perhaps !

3. Sometimes I see the three link chains replaced with just a single piece of blackened brass. This has a slot cut in each end which fit over the hooks. When pushing rolling stock it prevents buffer lock which is the major draw back with using three link couplers. What is this system called ?

4. I do like the look of the N gauge system above and I am surprised that it has not been adapted to OO gauge. How long has it been in use ?

• RMweb Premium

1. Romfords always look over-chunky to me and on the few items of stock I aquired with them, I often found the links were too fat to easily drop properly into the hook! (and the Romford hooks were suceptible to bending which either closed the hook up, preventing the link from dropping in; or the link retaining slot would open and the 3-link would drop out in storage).

Smiths links and Ambis hooks gives (imho) the best combo of appearance vs operability. Ymmv, of course.

2. I never bother with the springs, (even in EM), unless the buffers are over-long. I probably still have some stock with springs, but they all have stiff springs in. At one point Smiths were using a much softer spring which gave rise to some interesting-looking 'boinging' action as a heavy train moved off...

I was almost persuaded to use Kadees on British OO gauge rolling stock but I have decided not too and I will persevere with some form of three link coupler. I have used Smiths in the past but I am looking at alternatives.

1. Does anybody know who sells Romford 3 link couplers ? They are a bit over scale compared to the Smiths couplers but for some reason I think they look better.

2. Are the springs really necessary behind the hooks ? I cannot really see what purpose they serve in OO gauge....O gauge perhaps !

3. Sometimes I see the three link chains replaced with just a single piece of blackened brass. This has a slot cut in each end which fit over the hooks. When pushing rolling stock it prevents buffer lock which is the major draw back with using three link couplers. What is this system called ?

4. I do like the look of the N gauge system above and I am surprised that it has not been adapted to OO gauge. How long has it been in use ?

At one point Smiths were using a much softer spring which gave rise to some interesting-looking 'boinging' action as a heavy train moved off...

Very prototypical. Trains were known to develop standing waves as wagons bounce back and forth on their buffer and coupling springs.

I never use the coupling springs or sprung buffers.  To fit coupling hooks I use a length of suitable gauge wire through the nearest hole to the back of the buffer beam, fitting a piece of packing if necessary to take up the slack.  A dab of Evostik holds it in place.

I also use a steel bottom link and a magnetised 'pole' for coupling/uncoupling.  So much easier than trying to pick up the links with a bent bit of wire and dropping them over the hook.  If you're able to attend S4North on 16/17 April come and try the techique on 'Enigma Engineering'.

Archived