LNER U1 Garratt Lining?

Hi

I have just purchased a DJH LNER Garratt kit (see photo below). The tanks have been partly built other than the detail. I have ordered the couple of parts that were missing from DJH.

My question is how was the Garratt lined in LNER days? I have seen models with no lining, with (red) lining on the boiler bands only and some with full lining on Boiler bands, Below footplate, around tanks and on the steps.

I have checked a few photos but they are hard to determine what lining is there.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Mark in OZ

post-4104-126770395208_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark, I could be wrong, but I'd imagine it would depend on what preiod you were modelling...

During the war, certainly on the LNER, a lot of lining was dispensed with because of the lack of labour that was about at the time.. And certainly, extra expensive labour wouldn't have been used on a heavy goods engine almost never to have seen a passenger platform in it's life..

Another issue was that the emulsion used in black and white film at the time was hopeless at picking up red lining on black paint, which is why newly designed ex-works engines often had their official works photograph taken with them in grey paint to show up the red lining..

My post doesn't help in the slightest does it ??!! :lol: :lol:

JB.

Archived