Turntables (Design and Layout)

BobM

Just wondering whether beginning a Topic here would be useful to exchange ideas on the relationship between the positioning of turntables, the related engine shed and the associated track layout...also in terms of modelling....which would you choose Peco or ratio diapol...

Regards to all

Bob

For me...Leamington Spa would 'tick' all the boxes in terms of design and layout for a quintessential GWR design....I so wish I could replicate something similar on a layout...  

post-20610-0-98129700-1456169973.jpg

post-20610-0-51673700-1456170400.jpg

No engine shed...but Ranelagh Bridge is superb....(take a look at Steve Fay's page on modelling this famous stabling point ..he's certainly one talented guy and it's a cracking layout)

An interesting layout is the RPSI turntable at Whitehead. Due to space restrictions the approach to the table is across a diamond to maximise the radius of the approach road.http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/whitehead_2020/

Cheers for the posting Colin....certainly an interesting approach across a diamond.....regards Bob

What about King's Cross in steam days? Or Lincoln GNR? I early days, the turntable was at the rear of the shed. When a bigger one was installed, space meant it was moved nearer the front.

• 2 months later...

For design and practicality you cannot beat a roundhouse (pick any from the many - even roundhouses adjacent to other roundhouses).

But for me for modelling you cannot beat the simplicity of a turntable at the end of a station platform providing access to the run round loop and a shed direct from the turntable.

For design and practicality you cannot beat a roundhouse (pick any from the many - even roundhouses adjacent to other roundhouses).

But for me for modelling you cannot beat the simplicity of a turntable at the end of a station platform providing access to the run round loop and a shed direct from the turntable.

Rothbury https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=31617 perhaps?

Alasdair

Archived