Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rare railway films on BFI player

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up.

I've identified some places on "Journey on the Coronation Scot" although the film is rather mixed up as we leave Euston and then suddenly are in the high hills North of Lancaster !

The station  at 03:55 is Shap, 04:02 - passing Shap Summit, 04:51 - Tebay but we are heading South (!), we then jump to the stretch which I believe could be between Stafford and Crewe because 05:15 shows the train entering Crewe from the South, passing the LNWR Crewe South and gantry controlling entrance to the station.

Great link ! Thanks!

Tablet catcher on a dmu there on the scottish film? Very odd!

Yes, a number of early Cravens units had tablet catchers fitted, or were intended to be fitted, for working M&GN services but in the end the line closed before they became established.

The units involved could be identified because they had a rectangular plate over the indented fixing points just behind the driver's door. Initially many of these plates were not painted in the unit body colour but were a pale grey -

as can just be seen here on a unit at Mablethorpe https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8239/8648448647_38cd6952c4_b.jpg

Some, at least, of the units concerned ended up, declassified but still with 1st class seating at one end, on King's Cross suburban services including the odd Moorgate working.

My recollection is that those plates weren't steel but some sort of shock-absorbing material, hence the grey colour, however it is all a very long time ago and I might just be wrong.

Enjoyed "Your New Railway" which I had seen before at the MACE archive website but you can never get enough early AC electrics in my opinion, could have done without the copper kettlery though, and speaking of copper kettles, the GWR promo for the Cambrian Coast was good.  But 1940?  I know there were fewer travel restrictions in the early war years (I once read of a nasty road coach accident in the blackout in Rugeley when a returning day trip to Blackpool crashed into an unlit lorry and burst into flames in 1940 so day trips by coach were certainly still occuring) but it seems earlier than that.  Nice all the same.

Plenty of good stuff to watch.

Archived